16 year old riding alone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To get into another country you need proof of citizenship and a visa (even for Canada, they give you one at the border for most people)
If you're a US citizen, you don't need a Visa to get into Canada. They're perfectly happy with Mastercard, Amex, or even cash. :lol:

But seriously, most Canadian border officers would look at you rather strangely if you handed them a US Passport and asked for a stamp in the passport, much less a Visa. And for those crossing with an Enhanced Drivers License or a Passport card, neither a stamp nor a Visa is a possibility.

To get into another country you need proof of citizenship and a visa (even for Canada, they give you one at the border for most people)
If you're a US citizen, you don't need a Visa to get into Canada. They're perfectly happy with Mastercard, Amex, or even cash. :lol:

But seriously, most Canadian border officers would look at you rather strangely if you handed them a US Passport and asked for a stamp in the passport, much less a Visa. And for those crossing with an Enhanced Drivers License or a Passport card, neither a stamp nor a Visa is a possibility.
But you do need your passport or enhanced DL to get back into the States? Yes?

But you do need your passport or enhanced DL to get back into the States? Yes?
Yes.

According to Amtrak, if you are under 18 you do not need a photo ID on board. However, to prove you are under 18 and don't need a photo ID, you need a photo ID? Kind of a Catch 22, is it not?

By the way, persons under 18 do not need a photo ID for air travel. Amtrak is more restrictive? Interesting.
How is Amtrak "more restrictive" by having the same policy?
For those over age 15, Amtrak requires a photo ID to purchase a ticket (but not on board).

Please note that unaccompanied children 15 and older must also produce valid photo ID when purchasing tickets.
Air travel requires ID for those 18 and older. To be fair, with e-tickets, it not necessary to use a ticket agent, so the need to show a Photo ID at the ticket window is now rare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your still getting a Visa, it's just not the full-out paper thing they stick in your physical passport. Now a days it's an electronic thing they stick on your record.

peter

Just to nitpick, but a Visa is a credit card, whereas a visa (lower case v) is authorization to enter a foreign country.

Your still getting a Visa, it's just not the full-out paper thing they stick in your physical passport. Now a days it's an electronic thing they stick on your record.

peter
I quote from the CBSA website:

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary.

*** NOTE THAT THIS THREAD AND THE PRIOR POSTS ARE 2 YEARS OLD ***

Im 16 years old but I dont have any type of ID and i need to get to michigan would I be Able To Ride A Train By Myself To Michigan

Last edited:
Im 16 years old but I dont have any type of ID and i need to get to michigan would I be Able To Ride A Train By Myself To Michigan
You probably need school ID. Everything needs ID these days, every mode of transport needs ID or credit card. Other than a private vehicle. (car, private plane, motorhome, etc.)

Everything needs ID these days, every mode of transport needs ID or credit card. Other than a private vehicle. (car, private plane, motorhome, etc.)
Ummm...

If one is driving/piloting, etc., one needs an ID.

Its called a driver's/pilot's, etc. license!
True, but a lot of people don't bring it when driving a car, and still don't get caught.

It's possible to take a trip and not be asked for an ID. If you use a credit card and purchase online or at a quick track you will not need an id to obtain your ticket. At Chicago they sometimes do id and ticket checks before allowing passengers on the train. I have not seen id checks in awhile.

I am almost always asked for an id at the ticket window.

Sometimes a conductor might ask for it on board.

It's best to at least bring a school id.

It's possible to take a trip and not be asked for an ID. If you use a credit card and purchase online or at a quick track you will not need an id to obtain your ticket. At Chicago they sometimes do id and ticket checks before allowing passengers on the train. I have not seen id checks in awhile.

Well yeah, ID or credit card sometimes turns into one or the other. But if you print your ticket at home, then you need ID when you board, to confirm that it is indeed your ticket. That's because the tickets don't say the credit card number.

*** NOTE THAT THIS THREAD AND THE PRIOR POSTS ARE 2 YEARS OLD ***

You need a valid photo ID to purchase a ticket at a station or onboard.

Well yeah, ID or credit card sometimes turns into one or the other. But if you print your ticket at home, then you need ID when you board, to confirm that it is indeed your ticket. That's because the tickets don't say the credit card number.
No, you don't need to show ID when you board if you print your ticket at home.

Onboard there is a random ID check. That was mandated by the TSA. The random ID check was a compromise. The TSA wanted all ID checked. Amtrak was able to get that changed to the random check. When the security alert level is low that means about 10% are supposed to be randomly checked.

No, you don't need to show ID when you board if you print your ticket at home.

Onboard there is a random ID check. That was mandated by the TSA. The random ID check was a compromise. The TSA wanted all ID checked. Amtrak was able to get that changed to the random check. When the security alert level is low that means about 10% are supposed to be randomly checked.
The TSA was right. They should 100% of passengers' ID.

I buy my tickets online and have yet been asked for my ID.

The TSA was wrong. There should not be any ID check! ID checks won't stop any terrorist.
It'll stop drug traffickers and illegal immigrants.
How will it stop drug traffickers? You think they won't have ID? LOL

How will it stop illegal immigrants? All that is required is government or school issued photo ID. You can present a Mexican drivers license, an Austrailian drivers license or an Iranian passport. No way to know if that passenger is a tourist, an illegal or a visitor.

The TSA was wrong. There should not be any ID check! ID checks won't stop any terrorist.
It'll stop drug traffickers and illegal immigrants.
How will it stop drug traffickers? You think they won't have ID? LOL

How will it stop illegal immigrants? All that is required is government or school issued photo ID. You can present a Mexican drivers license, an Austrailian drivers license or an Iranian passport. No way to know if that passenger is a tourist, an illegal or a visitor.
The last word was meant to be or a terrorist. Replace visitor with terrorist.

I'm ok with being carded if I'm picking up a ticket, or purchasing. Last time I was at the CA in BOS and when I showed my ID the attendant was able to print my ticket. IMO that was easier then giving a Ressy number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back