16 year old riding alone

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jake

Hey you guys, this is my first time riding the Amtrak trains and I would like to know if I bought the ticket from the Amtrak app, do I just show them my e-ticket ( or whatever it's called) or do I need a physical ticket? Also do I need ID? I don't have my Liscence nor permit ( dumb move I know) but I do have my social security card and a debit card if that would help? Thanks, Jake

Jake,

No, you don't need a physical ticket anymore as long as your doing a train only. Some bus connections still require tickets.

And yes, you do need some form of picture ID in case you get asked for it. Do you have a school ID? That would be valid as ID if it has a photo.

As for the forms you've mentioned, technically no, they are not valid. But you may get a conductor who will let you slide, assuming that you're one of the people selected for the random ID check.

Here is the Amtrak page on ID's. If your 16 it looks like you don't need an ID (but it's good to have one anyways)

http://www.amtrak.com/passenger-identification

You didn't state where your boarding from, some stations have special procedures. But for any small station you can just show your eTicket on you app. You should also get a pdf in your email you can show them instead.

peter

Thanks a lot both of you, but I have one more question. I'm am going from Waterbury Vermont to Penn station in new York, then from penn station to fort Myers Florida. When I arrive in NY should I just buy the ticket there or just do the same ( buy from the app)? If I do buy it at the station will the ticket person ask for ID?

Here is the Amtrak page on ID's. If your 16 it looks like you don't need an ID (but it's good to have one anyways)

You didn't state where your boarding from, some stations have special procedures. But for any small station you can just show your eTicket on you app. You should also get a pdf in your email you can show them instead.

peter

You need to read the policy you linked to a little closer. Yes he does need a valid picture ID.

Please note that unaccompanied children 15 and older must also produce valid photo ID when purchasing tickets.

@EB_OBS It says that about purchasing at the station, if I bought the ticket already I don't think that matters then

peter

You need to read the policy you linked to a little closer. Yes he does need a valid picture ID.

Please note that unaccompanied children 15 and older must also produce valid photo ID when purchasing tickets.
Sorry man totally contradicted myself from that last post

Thanks a lot both of you, but I have one more question. I'm am going from Waterbury Vermont to Penn station in new York, then from penn station to fort Myers Florida. When I arrive in NY should I just buy the ticket there or just do the same ( buy from the app)?
You should buy that ticket as soon as possible. It can be brought online, at a Quik-Trak, via the App, or from an agent phone or in person. Since Fort Meyers does require a bus ride, I suspect that will trigger actual tickets for both the train out of NY and the bus. Only a few buses can currently accept eTickets.

If I do buy it at the station will the ticket person ask for ID?
Yes!

But you could buy the ticket and pick it up at a Quik-Trak machine.

peter

Sorry man totally contradicted myself from that last post
Please understand that without regard to how you buy the ticket, nor whether it is an eTicket or a real paper ticket, the conductor is still required to conduct random ID checks on board the trains. If your number comes up, you'll need to have ID.

ID checks have also gotten more common now in the world of eTicking. The iPhone will now scream that an ID check is required. The one time it happened to me a few weeks ago on the Springfled Shutte (middle segment of a 3 segment trip) the conductor apologized as I grabbed my ID saying he hates the fact he now needs to ask people for IDs.

Just show your school ID, I bet you'll be fine as long as it has your DOB on it.

In terms of not having one, coming from someone who went cross-country alone at age 16 in 2006 with plenty of trips alone to Syracuse and New York before that I didn't worry about not having an ID and was just never asked for one, always just used QuikTrack machines for ticketing.

On my cross country trip I used my passport and do remember the ticket agent in little Vancouver, WA looking at it.

Might you have a passport? That would definately be valid.

@EB_OBS It says that about purchasing at the station, if I bought the ticket already I don't think that matters then

Yeah it looks as if there's a hole in the system. Amtrak policy is that you must show ID when purchasing tickets if you are 15, 16 or 17 and traveling unaccompanied. I'm surprised, if you put your age in properly, that you can purchase tickets online and pick them up at Quik-Trax or print eTickets at all.

Regardless though, as mentioned already, the conductors must do random ID checks and the EMD ques the conductor when to ask for ID. If your number comes up, then you must have ID.

I do have my social security card and a debit card if that would help
Getting slightly off topic. Jake, with the possible exception of a new job or new account at a new bank, you should NEVER carry your social security card. It's not valid for ID and should you loose your wallet that number is very valuable to an identity thief.

Do go and get a state photo ID, right away. Anytime you travel you need this. Also, in your wallet, carry emergency information for your family at home and the people you're visiting in FL. In case something happens to you, they will be able to be contacted.

Do go and get a state photo ID, right away. Anytime you travel you need this. Also, in your wallet, carry emergency information for your family at home and the people you're visiting in FL. In case something happens to you, they will be able to be contacted.
Yup - get some official state picture ID - on the train you may be able to get by with a school lunchroom id or a library card ( a library card implies a better credit rating than a lot of us have ) or whatever -- Soc Sec card better left at home - might do in a pinch but see above --

Best - get your state ID or DL - AND - a passport - yeah a passport costs and doesn't work for some local uses - but if you ever go cross-border or lose your local ID it really helps a lot to have one, especially if you have a short-time local history with your other ID.

What all these ID cards are worth for security -- no comment - theoretical security discussion belongs totally elsewhere - maybe Blog of a true expert

Practically - just get the cards you need to go -- no problemo. Or take your chances - might well work -- hope it does - but- could have problem - don't know consequences - .

Take care and happy travelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey you guys, this is my first time riding the Amtrak trains and I would like to know if I bought the ticket from the Amtrak app, do I just show them my e-ticket ( or whatever it's called) or do I need a physical ticket? Also do I need ID? I don't have my Liscence nor permit ( dumb move I know) but I do have my social security card and a debit card if that would help? Thanks, Jake
Your SSC card says right on it "not for ID". Plus everyone else is right, it is not smart to carry.

I've only taken two rides since e-ticketing went national, but I definately did notice a huge jump (from basically never) in the number of people who were having their IDs checked. Additionally, since you are not that far removed from thee restriction for traveling alone on Amtrak, I think you could get asked for your ID as a way to check your age. Get a legal photo ID and save the worry - or worse!

I've only taken two rides since e-ticketing went national, but I definately did notice a huge jump (from basically never) in the number of people who were having their IDs checked. Additionally, since you are not that far removed from thee restriction for traveling alone on Amtrak, I think you could get asked for your ID as a way to check your age. Get a legal photo ID and save the worry - or worse!
According to Amtrak, if you are under 18 you do not need a photo ID on board. However, to prove you are under 18 and don't need a photo ID, you need a photo ID? Kind of a Catch 22, is it not?

By the way, persons under 18 do not need a photo ID for air travel. Amtrak is more restrictive? Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Amtrak, if you are under 18 you do not need a photo ID on board. However, to prove you are under 18 and don't need a photo ID, you need a photo ID? Kind of a Catch 22, is it not?

By the way, persons under 18 do not need a photo ID for air travel. Amtrak is more restrictive? Interesting.
I have forgotten both his exact age or what the requiremetn was, but on one of our flights around in the US we were caught up in a random ID check, and they asked one of my teenage sons for his ID. He stated that he was whatever his age was and it was younger than that required to have ID, so they simply waved him through!! We were all, and him particularly struck by the illogic of that. He could have proven his ID if they had insisted, as he had a passport, but he did not show it.

Oy. The ID thing is apparently (reading between the lines in the various reports) Amtrak's concession to the TSA, which has an irrational desire to know exactly who is on every train at all times. Obviously it has nothing to do with security. But whatever, fixing the "papers please" culture is beyond Amtrak's capability...

...I would say, get a passport if you can possibly afford it! It's the only ID which will reliably let you out of the country...

Oy. The ID thing is apparently (reading between the lines in the various reports) Amtrak's concession to the TSA, which has an irrational desire to know exactly who is on every train at all times. Obviously it has nothing to do with security. But whatever, fixing the "papers please" culture is beyond Amtrak's capability...

...I would say, get a passport if you can possibly afford it! It's the only ID which will reliably let you out of the country...
Actually a passport will only reliably let you back into the country. All a passport really tells another country is that you are a citizen of the country you're holding a passport in. To get into another country you need proof of citizenship and a visa (even for Canada, they give you one at the border for most people)

Peter

Peter

How is Amtrak "more restrictive" by having the same policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back