Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with the lounge being new and something they are very proud of I think it's a VERY good time to bring the issues to their attention. I can't imagine a time where they would be more focused on making this run very smoothly than right now. As it's Amtrak though it takes awhile. But if none of us ever speak up nothing will get fixed, so I think we should all contact Amtrak with the issues (both temporary and perma! :)) so that maybe it will be smoother. It really is too bad Union Station is so often such a cluster!

My uncle was in the lounge earlier this afternoon waiting to board a Lincoln Service train to Bloomington and hated the new lounge. Part of the problem was the boarding procedure that Sarah described. He complained to some Amtrak personnel about it and they couldn't believe the mess it was. One of them gave him a sheet of paper with the number for Amtrak Customer Relations on it and I can guarantee he will call them! In fact I already feel sorry for the poor customer service rep he will be talking to! ;) Another Amtrak employee whom my uncle thought was someone with a bit of clout said he'd look into it. So hopefully these kinks will get ironed out.

So let's see...

No more staffed baggage storage.

No more direct train acess when boarding.

Worse crowding when lining up to board trains.

Can't wait to use the new lounge. Sounds like a (bad) dream. Ha.

Sounds like they *really* haven't thought out pre-boarding. Anyone know what they're doing with people who need Red Cap assistance?

*Specific* complaints should be filed ASAP because this is, as others said, probably the time when they're most likely to pay attention.

Before the lounge opened, I saw the potential of having to cross through many lines of boarding passengers, so I mentioned this to a Amtrak manager who was standing outside the new Lounge supervising the window painting (don't remember his name) but he had said they were just going to do it like they did in the old lounge because there was never a problem. I pointed out that Lounge pre-boarding passengers from the new lounge have a potential battle to reach their train, verses walking along the edge of the building to the tracks, only having to flight the Coach passengers for your train if the Lounge was pre-boarding late. His opinion was that the architect was paid a lot of money to think these issues through in his design. Wonder if Amtrak Management is thinking there shouldn't be a problem in the pre-boarding because the lounge is designed not to have problems. No one questioned anything.

I have found Amtrak customer service to always be responsive to anything I called/emailed about. It may take a few days but they do email and have even CALLED me back.

Here's the contact us link - you can email in a form here or call them at 1-800-872-7245.

https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us

If you are Select or Select Plus you can use the priority # 1-888-707-6600, but you WILL need your Rewards # to use this line.

Hopefully getting a bunch of calls right now will get them to readjust quickly!

How persons behave in public locations in not consistent. Like to give example of my two dogs. If they are separate one goes the normal ( Northern Hemisphere ) counter clockwise around our table. But other one goes clockwise. So anyone that designs any buildings needs to be sure by testing or other methods to determine that there will be no conflicts or mast will behave in a manner consistent to the designer's ideas. No one is a Frank Lloyd Wright every time. ! !

The same for any designs look as the mess many computer programs have.

His opinion was that the architect was paid a lot of money to think these issues through in his design.
From the complaints about the congestion at the sign in area and path to the train, it is apparent that the architect didn't consult an industrial engineer, i.e., someone who knows something about people and material flows.

Typical Modern Management think, our expert was paid Big Money for their plan so it has to be good!

What could go wrong?
I believe the first solution would be to find out how business class passengers are suppose to board...are they to walk into the cattle pen then out? If so, why not do the airline group # call outs. Are they to cut into the exit lane by the elevator? If so, have that staffed so that Amtrak can provide what feels like a premium experience and a filter to get coach customers from cutting around ML and Legacy boarding. I feel like when Legacy opened, they studied how people got from there to the tracks and felt like it was doable, now add the 100s that use the ML daily to the mix and now you have people lost, confused, frustrated and angry.

Interesting post on the Flyertalk/AGR Forum from an AU Member about the Free Lunch and Wine being offered in the New CHI Lounge.

He says that the staff will continue offering this for the rest of the year to encourage people to come to Chicago on Amtrak and use the Lounge.

Some badly needed Positive News in this era of Amtrak offering Less for More and the Boardman/Bean-Counter cuts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting post on the Flyertalk/AGR Forum from an AU Member about the Free Lunch and Wine being offered in the New CHI Lounge.

He says that the staff will continue offering this for the rest of the year to encourage people to come to Chicago on Amtrak and use the Lounge.
When I visit next time, in December, it'll be dinner time!

1420652793-5734-crying-baby.jpg

I, and several other AU/OTOL members, will be there next Monday around lunch time. :)

This certainly is something to look forward to as I'll have at least three visits to the ML coming up before the end of the year, including one on the 17th!

I will have to take note of the free lunch as I will be on a layover on July 14.

I'm concluding from the thread that they've eliminated the baggage check room entirely. So if i have a 4 hour layover and want to explore Chicago w o all my luggage is there any solution other than leaving it in an unsecured area?

Day check at the baggage check area for checked baggage, $4 per bag per day for the privilege of having Amtrak hold your bag while you explore town.

I'm concluding from the thread that they've eliminated the baggage check room entirely. So if i have a 4 hour layover and want to explore Chicago w o all my luggage is there any solution other than leaving it in an unsecured area?
There is a baggage room. It is now "self service", however.

There is a baggage room. It is now "self service", however.
I wonder if the mods should hide/delete all the posts where people are saying there is no baggage room in the new ML - so that newcomers to the thread don't get the wrong info since this thread is now 22 pages long and they probably stop reading at the first mention of no baggage room.

Day check at the baggage check area for checked baggage, $4 per bag per day for the privilege of having Amtrak hold your bag while you explore town.
that's reasonable. I guess more schlepping around depending on where the room is. I think for 4.00 a bag tip would be "included"

Back