Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro Tip:

The baggage room gets pretty crowded and ridiculous when they start calling the LD trains, particularly the big ones that all leave around the same time (TE, EB, CZ).

Despite the "be back by this time" entry on your Super Special Lounge Access Ticket of Power, it's probably a good idea to get back before then and claim your baggage before the crush. I'd rather park my suitcase near my seat for a half-hour than deal with 40-50 other people trying to locate their particular black carry-on in the middle of 200 other black carry-ons.

Pro Tip:

The baggage room gets pretty crowded and ridiculous when they start calling the LD trains, particularly the big ones that all leave around the same time (TE, EB, CZ).

Despite the "be back by this time" entry on your Super Special Lounge Access Ticket of Power, it's probably a good idea to get back before then and claim your baggage before the crush. I'd rather park my suitcase near my seat for a half-hour than deal with 40-50 other people trying to locate their particular black carry-on in the middle of 200 other black carry-ons.
Excellent idea. I did this in the old lounge and will continue to do so in the new one.

I have qualms, big qualms, about leaving luggage in any unattended storage room in any major urban transportation facility. Who wouldn't? It's not an answer to say that 99.99% of the time, it's perfectly fine. You worry about that .01% of the time when it's not and it could be your luggage that gets taken. By definition, unattended luggage is subject to being stolen, even if most of the time it's not. Why would anyone risk losing their luggage?

It follows that the elimination of the attended luggage storage in the new Chicago ML is a decrease in the amenities offered. Obviously Amtrak is cutting costs by eliminating this position and shifting the risk to passengers using the facility. The lounges in NYC and DC are similarly unattended and unusable by me for the same reason.

Sarah's solution of a bicycle lock is interesting. I will now add a bicycle lock to the duct tape, electrical cord, miniature reading light, tool kit, and neck brace recommended for successful journeys on Amtrak's LD trains.
The metro lounge is not open to everyone. The way I view it the baggage room at the new metro lounge is used mainly by LD travelers. I do not mean to imply that 100% of everyone in the Metro lounge is completely honest, just that they are most likely honest. We will show up with a 5" cable lock and secure our three bags face down to the rack. I would not leave a laptop or valuables in an unattended room so my small netbook/Laptop and medicines will be carried along when we walk to Greektown for food and drink during the four hour layover. The chance that any of our bags will be stolen is probably very small. We are willing to take the small risk for the 4 hour layover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro Tip:

Excellent idea. I did this in the old lounge and will continue to do so in the new one.

Ditto. I used to haaaaaaate standing in line waiting for the redcap to grab everyone's luggage.

That's why I like this new system. My bag has a colorful scarf tied to the handle, so it's really easy to spot on the racks. I can (politely) climb over anyone else in the room and grab my suitcase without having to wait for Spanky the Wonder-Tourist to find his luggage check ticket in the bottom of his day pack.

Pro Tip:

I do the same thing. When I come back to the lounge to stay (usually at least an hour before departure, 30 minutes before boarding), I immediately get my bags and then keep them with me until the train is called.

Also, to those fearing those ubiquitous luggage thieves prowling Amtrak trains and lounges, remember this: No one wants your dirty undies.

Pro Tip:

I have avoided the black carry-on problem by not having a black carry-on. Mine is turquoise with a blue Amtrak luggage tag holder along with a large red Wal-Mart luggage tag that says "You've got enough baggage!!" on it. Pretty hard for someone else to mistake my bag for theirs. :lol:

Pro Tip:

Just an idea, we always leave a ribbon on our suitcases, bright yellow, bright red, bright pink, to make it easier to find in case there is another like yours. Never used the lounged as only been on a 4 hour train journey, but we did this all the time with checked baggage at airports.

I made my own Amtrak tag,plus made my own red and orange tag. (Southern Pacific Daylight colors ). Made several for each different size and colors of bags. No black bags makes it easier.

Also, to those fearing those ubiquitous luggage thieves prowling Amtrak trains and lounges, remember this: No one wants your dirty undies.
When I am using an Amtrak lounge, my suitcase has already been checked and is somewhere in the hands of Amtrak. The bag I would leave in the lounge's baggage room while I go wandering is my small carry-on, which contains a few articles of clothing but also my iPad, prescription medicine, and other items more valuable than dirty undies. I have left that bag in an unguarded lounge baggage room but it makes me nervous to do so. I much prefer the old Chicago lounge system of handing it to a red cap and getting a claim check.

When I am using an Amtrak lounge, my suitcase has already been checked and is somewhere in the hands of Amtrak. The bag I would leave in the lounge's baggage room while I go wandering is my small carry-on, which contains a few articles of clothing but also my iPad, prescription medicine, and other items more valuable than dirty undies. I have left that bag in an unguarded lounge baggage room but it makes me nervous to do so. I much prefer the old Chicago lounge system of handing it to a red cap and getting a claim check.
DTN, prescriptions medicines are the very things I would never leave. Anywhere. Get a small backpack and take those with you. Or one of those cinch sacks. Why take the chance of losing your medicine?

Is there any published data on theft rates at the various lounges? It would be interesting to see if there is a legit fear, or just a perception problem.

Personally, I'm way more concerned with someone taking my bag by mistake than theft. I've left my bag in DC, LA, Portland, and NYP lounges with no issues, but I still prefer having a check service like the old Chicago set up. Especially since Chicago's lounge has so many long distance travelers, it's a lot of luggage.

Just because I am disappointed the lounge no longer has a red cap staffed luggage room, does not mean I have an irrational fear of leaving my luggage. It's, to me, another downgrade in service, just like the lack of China on the dining cars. I don't have an irrational fear of eating food off plastic, I just vastly prefer a ceramic plate!

Had my first trip through the new lounge over the weekend catching the Great Dome 10031 to Grand Rapids on #370 on Saturday night and #371 on Sunday morning.

Very impressed with the look of the place -- totally A+

Not very impressed with the operations -- I would rate it at a C-, at best... hopefully this will get better over time.

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

(1) As others have mentioned, there is just a storage room now for your belongings like they have at Club Acelas in DC and NY... an un-attended closet without a Red Cap monitoring things. Not a huge deal to me, but I guess I will have to keep valuable electronics like my laptop with me at all times now when roaming the Loop. I heard that Amtrak has gotten VERY strict and is not going to allow Red Caps and random office staff into the lounge unless they are authorized from now on. No more employees mooching free coffee and soda pop. That is part of the reason I heard for this change.

(2) Not all times of the days will have snacks. We arrived at 4:00pm and there were no snacks. We were told there would only be food from 12:30 to 3:00pm, with free wine from 12:30 to 2:00pm. Other times will not have snacks. I think to finally shut me up, one of the employees gave us 3 bags of veggie-chips they have locked up in a room. On Sunday morning we arrived back around 9:30am and there was 1 granola bar and 3 pears out.

(3) Parts of the soad machine were already out/not functioning.

(4) Only 1 one-hole bathroom on the upper level of the lounge.

And, I saved the worst for last --- boarding was a COMPLETE cluster.

(5) Around 5:55pm they announced the boarding for Train #370, the Pere Marquette. We went to the front desk and the lady explained that they were no longer walking people out to the trains. She put a yellow neon marker check mark on my ticket and told me to walk around to Track #20. So, we did that -- fighting Metra crowds that were boarding at Gates 1 to 14 from Taste of Chicago -- and then when we got to the Amtrak gates we got scolded by an employee there who said we shouldn't have come in the way that we did. We explained what the lady in the lounge told us and she checked for the check mark and then relented... complained about the new way of boarding lounge passengers... but did let us through. About the same thing happened for the Hiawatha on Sunday morning. We were told to walk around and board by the Metra gates -- but they had the rope up for Tracks 17/19 and we got grumped at again until we explained what we were doing. The guy standing there didn't even know the Train number (#333) and asked a passenger what it was... he didn't even check our tickets for the check mark. (BTW, there are no more paper passes) Given the position of the lounge -- I don't know what they can do about getting you out to the train --- there is no other way to go except walk through all of the Metra passenger traffic on either the north or south concourse. It was a really bad cluster. I would not want to see it during the rush hour on a Monday through Friday.

Thanks for the report. This sounds terrible. Why are Amtrak managers not watching and fixing this? (I suppose that question can be asked for many things at Amtrak).

Priority #1: Get the Suits in CHI away from their desks down to the Lounge and come up with a boarding plan that works!

#2: Get everyone that works in Union Station on the same page and remind them that their job is to help customers,not cop a Chicagotude of being abrupt and snarley!

#3: Fine tune the Lounge operations so they don't become gospel as passed down from ancient times on stone tablets. This is easily done if Managers are around to observe the cluster flubs and bugs now occurring.

How were the Dome trips Rob?

Yikes--that sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially for those of us who are directionally challenged to start with. The whole point of being in a lounge is to have someone walk you right to the train so you can't possibly miss it.

Is there a redcap booth in the main part of the station? If so, can you use them just as usual, even if you are in a sleeper? (For example, in Philly, I might be taking the Keystone and would leave my suitcase with the redcaps, tell them what train I'm taking, and they would tell me what time to be back and then would walk me to the elevator and down to the train and help me get on board. But I would never think of doing that for a sleeper there because the PHL lounge is great, and they take you down to the train from there with no problems.) So, could you stay in the main part of the station in Chicago and use a redcap to take you to your sleeping car? Or would they just tell me to take myself to the disorganized lounge?

Funnily, all the new signage pointing to the Metropolitan Lounge point to the previous location!
Reinforces my point about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing @ Union Station!
Homeland Security has been notified about the suspicious group of foamers traveling together out of Chicago heading West!

The blue signage pointing to the ML is still the old signage that has been there for years. I was surprised they hadn't changed it!

Back