Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In LA the ML attendant makes it his personal mission to talk with each passenger to insure they are happy and if not what he can do to make them happy.
The one and only time I was in LA the ML attendants pretty much kept to themselves. However, the lounge was clean, well stocked (the chocolate chip cookies were TOO good!) and absolutely no confusion whatsoever about departing trains. The LA ML is quite new (opened in late 2014?) but they seem to have things in order there.

Well, it looks like we have a situation of comparing apples and oranges here.

In the bad old days when almost all CHI based Amtrak employees had that Chicago 'tude,( except the Redcaps) the Metro Lounge truly was an unpleasant place.

I personally saw many people treated rudely at the desk and as a regular for several years was also treated in a less than friendly manner. In the last couple of years as new people replaced some of the dragons, it got better.

The gate dragons could give lessons to the sour apples in New York and Boston (I found the female Desk worker in the Boston Lounge to be a jerk)and it sounds like they're still at it!

It's good to know that the desk personnel in the New Lounge are now treating customers better and that Red caps are allowed to come in to help those needing help.

Once the "bugs" are worked out ( we do need to let Amtrak know about these and offer suggestions so it can be improved) it sounds like the New Lounge csn join LA,Portland and Philadelphia as the Best of the Lounges!

Keep the reports coming folks, I look forward to my next visit to Union Station as I pass through.

Last edited by a moderator:
agree - the employees in the regular lounge DO take abuse for sure, however I have always been friendly to them. I have been a regular for 11 years, so always say hi and smile. Yet they always look at me like it's the first time they've ever seen me, which I think is odd. I'd think you'd be happy to see a regular, and someone who treats you nicely and with respect. But like I said, all of the conductors I've ever met have been tremendous!

That would be an understatement about the conductors on the PM........I truly miss the old conductors since the crew base change. I found out on my last trip back in April that some were transferred to the Wolverine, specifically Smilin' Dave. Our loss is their gain! He treated me like I was an extended part of his family and always gave the impression that he absolutely loves his job. I wouldn't mind riding the Wolverine again, but being that it's not practical for me anymore, it's not likely I will.

I've been a regular for 8 1/2 years on Amtrak and don't feel I've ever been disrespected by OBS or staff at any station's ML. They treat me like they want me as a return customer. It's just logistics at south gate make it for a miserable experience, but I don't blame staff for that one, even though they seem sometimes like their a bit stressed.....probably because they are. LOL

I will be seeing Dave tomorrow!! He's on the early CHI-NBU train and I never take that but need to tomorrow. Can't wait to see his smiling face!! :)

(I found the female Desk worker in the Boston Lounge to be a jerk)and it sounds like they're still at it!
Thanks for the warning on that one.....I'll be there for the first time in October and will be "braced" for that. Of course, maybe I'll get lucky as usual and the jerk(s) will not be on duty.

Well, it looks like we have a situation of comparing apples and oranges here.

In the bad old days when almost all CHI based Amtrak employees had that Chicago 'tude,( except the Redcaps) the Metro Lounge truly was an unpleasant place.

I personally saw many people treated rudely at the desk and as a regular for several years was also treated in a less than friendly manner. In the last couple of years as new people replaced some of the dragons, it got better.

The gate dragons could give lessons to the sour apples in New York and Boston (I found the female Desk worker in the Boston Lounge to be a jerk)and it sounds like they're still at it!

It's good to know that the desk personnel in the New Lounge are now treating customers better and that Red caps are allowed to come in to help those needing help.

Once the "bugs" are worked out ( we do need to let Amtrak know about these and offer suggestions so it can be improved) it sounds like the New Lounge csn join LA,Portland and Philadelphia as the Best of the Lounges!

Keep the reports coming folks, I look forward to my next visit to Union Station as I pass through.
Yes. What Jim said. Things have gotten better now that the worst of the lounge crew are gone. The last time I was there, I saw one of the lounge crew treat a passenger like a piece of dirt simply because she (the passenger)could not find a red cap. The lounge dragon was the one to blame because she overlooked this pax, who needed assistance. No, I was not that pax, but she wasn't very pleasant to me or anyone else either. So...the more things change, the more things stay the same.

I was actually referring to the main lounge, not the metropolitan lounge. There wasn't always business class on the pere marquette so for coach we had to board from the south gate. The people who work at that gate area were who I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.
Ohhhhh... Yeah. I have so much sympathy for those people. You couldn't pay me enough to work the coach boarding area. ;)

On a different note does anyone know what hours the ML is open? I'm on a 7:10 a.m. tomorrow - will likely not get there much ahead of time and will probably go straight to the gate, but if I did get there with time are they open?

I was actually referring to the main lounge, not the metropolitan lounge. There wasn't always business class on the pere marquette so for coach we had to board from the south gate. The people who work at that gate area were who I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.
That's a whole different story and the reason why I won't ride coach on the PM anymore out of Union Station. It's worth the extra $15 just to be able to get away from that hot mess at south gate.
I wonder if this is still the situation. The last couple of times I went through CUS, the old boarding lounge(?) was almost empty because "general" boarding was from the great hall.

This does go to show you that everyone has different tastes. I always enjoyed the scrum at the boarding gate, the highlight of the trip. But then I could sit back and relax, and then roll my bike to the head of the line when they called for seniors. :p

On a different note does anyone know what hours the ML is open? I'm on a 7:10 a.m. tomorrow - will likely not get there much ahead of time and will probably go straight to the gate, but if I did get there with time are they open?
they're open from when the first train comes in till the last train departs.

Being open when the first train comes is doesn't seem to correlate with the policy that arriving passengers are not allowed in. Or am I misunderstanding?

Being open when the first train comes is doesn't seem to correlate with the policy that arriving passengers are not allowed in. Or am I misunderstanding?
You're thinking of same-day coach connections.

Some of those arriving may have same-day BC or sleeper connections, so they would need access.

it didn't appear to be open (didn't go right up to it) this morning at 6:20 so I went straight to the gate. Odd they don't have any hours posted. They say Legacy Lounge is 9A-9P, but nothing about ML.

I'm heading to Chicago to check out the ML on July 17. Also, the Pere Marquette has the dome car on weekends for the entire month!

Some of those arriving may have same-day BC or sleeper connections, so they would need access.
It was my understanding that they allow anyone in who has a same-day sleeper ticket. When I was there last December, I met two women on the eastbound CZ who were also making connections in CHI to the Cardinal. I had a sleeper ticket on both the CZ and the Card, and the other two were arriving in sleeper on the CZ, but leaving in coach on the Card (one because she was getting off a few hours later, the other because she was unable to book a sleeper by the time she made her reservation). Both were allowed into the Met Lounge with no problem.

It was my understanding that they allow anyone in who has a same-day sleeper ticket. When I was there last December, I met two women on the eastbound CZ who were also making connections in CHI to the Cardinal. I had a sleeper ticket on both the CZ and the Card, and the other two were arriving in sleeper on the CZ, but leaving in coach on the Card (one because she was getting off a few hours later, the other because she was unable to book a sleeper by the time she made her reservation). Both were allowed into the Met Lounge with no problem.
There have been rumors that the policy has or will change with the new ML in that you have to be outgoing on a sleeper or BC to use the lounge. This has not yet been confirmed.

I'm heading to Chicago to check out the ML on July 17. Also, the Pere Marquette has the dome car on weekends for the entire month!
I know. It's a shame it leaves GR at 6:00 a.m. I'd have to leave Battle Creek at 4:30. There is no way I'm getting up that early for a joyride. :p

I know. It's a shame it leaves GR at 6:00 a.m. I'd have to leave Battle Creek at 4:30. There is no way I'm getting up that early for a joyride. :p
I'll be up around 3 AM from Toledo. Probably earlier.

That's just crazy talk.

Signed,

A Night Owl

That's just crazy talk.

Signed,

A Night Owl
Just don't go to bed. :p

Back