Your home or favorite station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
The "home or favorite station" topic started by WoodenMike continues to be a helpful trip planner for me. Here I start a similar topic enhanced to include information on nearby hotels and public transportation options. Give us your home and/or favorite station and any information on nearby hotels. "Nearby" means easy walking distance (less than a few blocks). Hotel web sites are nice. The web site for the local public transportation authority would be nice as well.

My home station is Dallas (DAL). The Hotel Lawrence is across the street from the station. DART’s Red and Blue lines stop inside the train station every 10 minutes almost around the clock. TRE (Trinity Railway Express) offers frequent service to Fort Worth and DFW airport from the same station

http://www.hotellawrencedallas.com/

http://www.dart.org

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

Sebring Florida is my home port of call. A nice historic section of town is a 3 block walk from the train station. The closest Hotel is the Kennilworth Hotel which is on the register of historic places. http://www.kenlodge.com/

It's about a 7 block walk to the hotel but there is yellow cab service available.

My Home Amtrak Station, Newark Penn is located right across from the Hilton Gateway. In fact, you don't even have to go outside to access the Building, as it can be accesed via bridge from the second floor of the station.

To find hotels near stations or with views of the tracks visit Railhotels.com hosted by Trainweb.

Amtrak Watcher, Fireman Steve, and anyone else who might be interested:

While it is by no means required, our board provides a nice easy way to add links to other pages. If you take advantage of this feature, which I will describe below, it helps to make your paragraphs easier to read. Plus sometimes it can be hard to tell just what the address links to.

When you are at the box where you would type your reply, if you look just above the box you will see a bunch of buttons. The group starts with “B” for bold. In the second row you will see a button that says "http://", this is the button that you click on to make a link. Now what I would typically do is, I will open a second internet window using either Internet Explorer or Netscape. In the first window I have the Amtrak Unlimited typing box, in the second window I’ll bring up the page I want to link to.

Now I start typing my paragraph and when I reach the place where I want to place the link, I click on the “http” button. That in turn opens a small long box near the top of my screen that says, “Enter the complete URL for the hyperlink”. You could just type the address into this box if you like, however what I prefer to do is to copy it. So I go back to my second window, I highlight the address at the top of that page, and then I hold down the “Ctrl” key and press the letter “C” for copy. Now I go back to the Amtrak Unlimited page and click once on the small long box and then again I hold down the “Ctrl” key and hit the letter “V” for paste. This should copy the address into the box.

Next I press enter once or click the "Ok" button and another long box will appear saying, “Enter the title of the webpage”. In this box you can type anything that you deem appropriate. Sometimes I’ll say, “click here”, sometime I’ll place the name of the website. It’s really up to you to decide what to place there. Then I finish typing my paragraph.

One quick note, you must use this button as you are typing the paragraph. If you wait until you are done typing everything, before you click the “http” button, then it will place the link at the end of your paragraph or post.

Now as an example, I’ll tell you that the Hotel Pennsylvania is the closest hotel to Penn Station New York. Mind you though this hotel is not all that cheap and rooms tend to be small. Also check out Viewliner's post above for more examples.

I’m pointing out this feature for anyone who was not aware of its availability. You also don’t need to understand computer programming to use the feature. Should anyone have any other questions about how to use this please let me know, you can even send me a private message and I’ll be happy to help.

Again it is by no means required that you post links in this manner, but it does make it easier for others to read and use the links. :)

Here are a few of my favorites.

DENVER, COLORADO

Hostel of the Rocky Mountains

No, it's not a luxury hotel. But, it is fairly inexpensive, they serve a good free breakfast, and they have a FREE shuttle service to and from the Amtrak station.

DENVER, COLORADO

The LaQuinta on Park Ave. is about a 15 minute walk from Denver's Union Station. If you get a room on the east side, you have a great view of the BN hump yard across the street! :)

Also within walking distance to Coors Field.

And, walking from Union Station, you also cross over the BN shops, with lots of eye candy for diesel spotters!!!

GLEENWOOD SPRINGS, COLORADO

HOTEL DENVER

While the Hotel Colorado gets all the publicity, the Hotel Denver is a GREAT place to stay at nearly half the price!!! Great rooms! We stayed there once in the winter, room in front, right across the street from the Amtrak station, light snow falling, pretty Christmas lights...picturebook stuff!

Good food and BREWSKIS in the Micro brewery downstairs, close to main street. Doc Holiday's is a good bar, named after the famous gunfighter who's burried there. NO! Not in the bar! LOL!!!!!

The famous Hot Springs are directly across the Colorado River.

Perfect Place for a ROMANTIC getaway!

I'll post about Seattle and maybe Reno after my return!

Happy (t)Rails!

Mike

Viewliner said:
My Home Amtrak Station, Newark Penn is located right across from the Hilton Gateway. In fact, you don't even have to go outside to access the Building, as it can be accesed via bridge from the second floor of the station.
To find hotels near stations or with views of the tracks visit Railhotels.com hosted by Trainweb.
Thanks for that info, I expect this is cheaper than hotels in Manhattan.

Steve4031 said:
Viewliner said:
My Home Amtrak Station, Newark Penn is located right across from the Hilton Gateway.  In fact, you don't even have to go outside to access the Building, as it can be accesed via bridge from the second floor of the station.
Thanks for that info, I expect this is cheaper than hotels in Manhattan.
You're welcome, glad to help a fellow railfan. And remember, New York is only a ride on NJT away from Newark.

FYI: I was the one to post that hotel on railhotels.com, along with the Stamford, Ct Marriott. If anyone ever goes there, you can get a room facing the nearby station.

Steve, in the Hotel Building I really liked the food at Bentley's, and am recommending it to you. My family and I tried it when we waited for our train last April.

Right next to the Bridge to the Gateway Building in (NWK) Penn Station is the Transit Shoppe, owned by NJ Transit and has some very nice, merchandise.

While there's nothing special about the Station, one nice thing is the Facade (or at least thats what I think its called, i.e. the outside) outside has the Keystone (Symbol for the Pennsylvania Railroad) and even says "Pennsylvania Railroad"

Enjoy your trip, if you go.

And once again Happy Thanksgiving

I can confirm that the Pioneer Square Hotel is the closest (3 blocks) and most convenient hotel to the Amtrak station in Seattle. I always stay there when I visit Seattle. Though the posted room rates are high, you can always get an enormous discount with just about any kind of membership card: Best Western Gold, AAA, AARP, etc. Like the hotel I suggested in Dallas, it is a recently re-built 100-year-old gem. The local transit system operates on rather limited hours, but given the bad traffic in Seattle, it is a reasonable alternative during the day.

The “Railhotels” link Viewliner recommends suggests the Hyatt Regency Dallas. This is a fine hotel, which is connected to the Dallas Amtrak terminal with a tunnel under the tracks. It’s huge and has a rotating restaurant with a great view. Nevertheless, I find it big, expensive, and impersonal. I prefer the Lawrence Hotel across the street from the station. It is cheaper, closer (if you don’t mind going outside), and has a superb restaurant and bar. The “West End” area of Dallas is 3 blocks away, and has at least 30 restaurants, bars, and shops. One of the reasons I prefer Amtrak is the easy access to downtown areas with comfortable hotels and fine restaurants of good value. There are too many chains and boring stuff on the airport circuit.

I just booked a night at the Pioneer Square in Seattle, report in a week or so!

WoodenMike said:
Enjoy Your Trip :)

I'll be leaving for Hershey (not via Amtrak :( ) Tommorrow, and won't be posting till saturday.

You try and enjoy your trip, even though it isn't on Amtrak! LOL!

I'll take "a few" pictures and post a link where you can view 'em.

:)

Viewliner said:
WoodenMike said:
Enjoy Your Trip :)

I'll be leaving for Hershey (not via Amtrak :( ) Tommorrow, and won't be posting till saturday.
Didn't you know? That was one of Warington's plans, the "Hershey Regional". 50 Express Boxcars of chocolate and an Amfleet Coach with a new paint scheme dedicated just for that service. :p

Uh-Oh!

Be careful if you're driving to Hershey!

I hear that highway gets packed!!! :unsure:

WoodenMike said:
We stayed there last month and enjoyed our visit. Quaint, quiet, convient, plus you can hear and feel the wooden floors when you walk.

spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back