Wolverine Schedule Changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like schedule changes take place tomorrow.

New train - 358

Removed trains - 350, 352, 353

I saw no announcements on this. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

jb

Where did you see this? I can't find anything on Amtrak's site.

Without knowing the exact times for train #358, I'd say that looks extremely similar to last year's schedule, which was designed to accommodate the track upgrades between KAL and DER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like schedule changes take place tomorrow.

New train - 358

Removed trains - 350, 352, 353

I saw no announcements on this. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

jb
April 25 - September 23, 2016

350 leaves CHI 10" earlier; goes to PNT Sundays only, all other days turns at BTL.

351 leaves PNT 30" earlier.

352 Sundays only leaving CHI 25" earlier.

353 Sundays only.

354 minor time adjustments.

355 leaves PNT 1'25" later.

357 Monday-Saturday only originating @ BTL.

358 Monday-Saturday only leaving CHI @ 4:35pm.

Always check the website/availability for the most up to date times.

Per Amtrak:

"Wolverine Service Summer Schedules Begin Effective April 25 - September 23, 2016Amtrak and the Michigan Department of Transportation have modified Wolverine Service schedules from April 25 through September 23 to accommodate track and signal work to result in improved reliability, a smoother ride and an expansion of the Midwest's first 110 mph Amtrak service.

While all Wolverine trains will operate on adjusted schedules, the largest change affects the schedule of Trains 352 and 353, which will operate across the full Pontiac-Chicago route on Sundays only. There will be two Wolverine round-trips Monday-through-Saturday between Battle Creek and Pontiac during this period.

Normal service levels of three Wolverine round-trips between Battle Creek and Chicago are maintained. There are no significant changes to the Port Huron-East Lansing-Chicago Blue Water (which also serves Battle Creek and Kalamazoo) or the Grand Rapids-Chicago Pere Marquette schedules.

For the most up-to-date schedule information, visit Amtrak.com, use our free mobile apps or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Thank you for choosing Amtrak."

Updated Michigan schedules effective today (April 25) are online at https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/632/631/Michigan-Services-Schedule-042516.pdf

Maybe I just missed when Amtrak posted that new schedule. When did they post it?

Seems like Amtrak should have made some more attention-grabbing announcements.

Thanks,

jb

They started calling me because I do make multiple reservations at a time (on 352). This has happened for the last few years at least. HOWEVER, the ridiculous thing is the 352 that previously left CUS at 12:50 now leaves at 4:30 on #358?! Right in between a 4 pm Blue Water and a 6 pm Wolverine. In the past the change from the 12:50 was to a 2:50 departure or 3:10 departure. Moving the 352 train to another one after 4 pm makes no sense. They have a 7 a.m. train and then NOTHING until 4 pm. I just don't get it. I know they are trying to free up traffic for track work but honestly why bunch up THREE trains within 2 hours and nothing the rest of the day except an ungodly early 7 a.m. departure. I for one prefer to get back up there earlier, especially in the summer!

They started calling me because I do make multiple reservations at a time (on 352). This has happened for the last few years at least. HOWEVER, the ridiculous thing is the 352 that previously left CUS at 12:50 now leaves at 4:30 on #358?! Right in between a 4 pm Blue Water and a 6 pm Wolverine. In the past the change from the 12:50 was to a 2:50 departure or 3:10 departure. Moving the 352 train to another one after 4 pm makes no sense. They have a 7 a.m. train and then NOTHING until 4 pm. I just don't get it. I know they are trying to free up traffic for track work but honestly why bunch up THREE trains within 2 hours and nothing the rest of the day except an ungodly early 7 a.m. departure. I for one prefer to get back up there earlier, especially in the summer!
They are clearly blocking out a large piece of the day for track work, probably an 8 hour work window. By moving to three trains (Two Woverlines & the Blue Water) departing CHI within a 2 hour block in the late afternoon, while clustered together, they are providing a lot of seats. Better than canceling the 3rd weekday Wolverine entirely.

The question is whether this is the last summer of major disruptive track work or is this going to happen again in 2017? Or are there more track work disruptions planned for the fall after September 23 with more shifts in the schedule disruptions?

They are clearly blocking out a large piece of the day for track work, probably an 8 hour work window. By moving to three trains (Two Woverlines & the Blue Water) departing CHI within a 2 hour block in the late afternoon, while clustered together, they are providing a lot of seats. Better than canceling the 3rd weekday Wolverine entirely.

The question is whether this is the last summer of major disruptive track work or is this going to happen again in 2017? Or are there more track work disruptions planned for the fall after September 23 with more shifts in the schedule disruptions?
well good point on keeping the # of seats - hadn't looked at it that way. I too hope that maybe this is the last summer of major work, but who knows!

no I usually go up to Michigan from Chicago on a weekday. I wish they at least had that 12:25 on Thurs/Fri in the summer, but I don't make the schedule! :)

In the end I guess it's a good thing if the tracks are better and the trains faster. It's a tough schedule though if you're riding through to Detroit or Pontiac and don't / can't arrive after 11PM. But that's just me. On that 7AM train, there's definitely more traffic to Battle Creek, and less of it (it's not empty by any means, but there is significantly less boarding /unboarding) as the train moves along towards Detroit and Pontiac. The Late afternoon/Early evening train out of Pontiac is busy with commuters and college kids every time I've been on it. So if that had been axed, that would have hurt a lot. The good news for me, I read this message board, so when I plan my trip to Chicago I can plan my Michigan excursion for Sunday-Monday!

By the way, last time I took the trip I complained about some of the track being rough and others said they hadn't noticed it. It must have been the coach I rode up to Pontiac in, because the ride home was much smoother. I don't think I ever followed up my post with that.

They had a much better Friday departure from BTL/KAL to CHI last summer (6:00-ish instead of 2:30-ish).

This year, they kept the 2:00-ish departure, but the late (9:00-ish) departure has been moved even later. Weird.

Looks like I'll be driving to Chicago all summer. ;)

well hopefully once all the track work is done the schedule will spread itself out some more to accommodate schedules better. The track work is definitely needed!

well hopefully once all the track work is done the schedule will spread itself out some more to accommodate schedules better. The track work is definitely needed!
Ditto! :) I'm not upset. It's definitely worth it.

The Michigan track work for the season has been completed and the Wolverine service is back to 3 daily trains. Amtrak news release: FULL MICHIGAN AMTRAK SERVICE RESTORED.

CHICAGO and LANSING, Mich. – Amtrak and the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) have competed this year’s construction season for Wolverine Service trains. Customers can again book travel with three complete round-trips daily, plus additional service on select days around the Thanksgiving holiday.

This continues the improvement of state-owned railroad infrastructure as part of Michigan’s Accelerated Rail Program and will result in improved reliability and a smoother ride for customers, along with an expansion of the Midwest’s first 110 mph Amtrak service.

MDOT contractors, including Amtrak, completed a busy construction season in Calhoun and Jackson counties on 41 miles of track. This included replacing 26,000 railroad ties, repairing or installing 15 track switches, realigning or modifying 29 railroad curves, repairing 23 railroad grade crossings and improving road profiles at crossings. Amtrak also continued to improve the signal system controlling rail traffic on MDOT’s rail segment east of Kalamazoo.
Presumably there will be another extended season of track and grade crossing work in 2017. But in the meantime, perhaps the Wolverine service will be more reliable for the late Fall/Winter period.

The Michigan track work for the season has been completed and the Wolverine service is back to 3 daily trains. Amtrak news release: FULL MICHIGAN AMTRAK SERVICE RESTORED.

CHICAGO and LANSING, Mich. – Amtrak and the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) have competed this year’s construction season for Wolverine Service trains. Customers can again book travel with three complete round-trips daily, plus additional service on select days around the Thanksgiving holiday.

This continues the improvement of state-owned railroad infrastructure as part of Michigan’s Accelerated Rail Program and will result in improved reliability and a smoother ride for customers, along with an expansion of the Midwest’s first 110 mph Amtrak service.

MDOT contractors, including Amtrak, completed a busy construction season in Calhoun and Jackson counties on 41 miles of track. This included replacing 26,000 railroad ties, repairing or installing 15 track switches, realigning or modifying 29 railroad curves, repairing 23 railroad grade crossings and improving road profiles at crossings. Amtrak also continued to improve the signal system controlling rail traffic on MDOT’s rail segment east of Kalamazoo.
Presumably there will be another extended season of track and grade crossing work in 2017. But in the meantime, perhaps the Wolverine service will be more reliable for the late Fall/Winter period.
Yes I would expect another summer season of schedule changes and work, but for now I'm happy to have that 12:50 train back up to Michigan from CUS!

There's a midnight train from Detroit going "anywhere" (really Pontiac) that fits perfectly with "Don't stop believin'" by Journey!

There's a midnight train from Detroit going "anywhere" (really Pontiac) that fits perfectly with "Don't stop believin'" by Journey!
I remember reading a somewhat pointless and inane article, but it said that "South Detroit" was actually Windsor....
Yup. The big joke around here is that there is no "South Detroit". You're either "Downriver" or in Windsor.

The band admitted that they knew that, but it fit the lyrics better, so no harm done. :)

Thanks! I was all over Amtrak's website on Tuesday looking for this information. I'll be trying out the new and improved track between Battle Creek and Jackson sometime in late January or early February.

Took a roundtrip chicago to detroit to go to a concert. Hope they don't cancel the day trains again next year.

Track seems to be in fast shape from Chicago to Battle Creek and Detroit to Ann Arbor. Still some slow areas with the trackwork in between Ann arbor, jackson and close to albion. Definitely notice a whole bunch of new superelevation in the curves on this route. Train there #350 was light passenger numbers and about 1 hour delay, 30 minutes due to a bad meet with #365 which came off the CN late, the rest due to track and signal work. #353 back was very busy, nearly sold out, and 13 minutes late at Chicago. Only came to a complete stop once except for the stations all the way from detroit. Stayed in at the Hotel Royal Oak, very nicely refurbished. And enjoyed downtown royal oak as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back