Wisconsin state fair

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVas

Service Attendant
I would love to take the Amtrak from Chicago to Milwaukee for the State fair. I have not seen any Amtrak ads that they would have connecting bus service to the Fair. It would be a great way to add even more riders to the trains as they are really doing a great job showing people how well Amtrak can save themon gasoline.

Are you going to do it? That would be a great thing to do. Parking at State Fairs is always such a hassle. Public Transportation is the way to go.

I don't know much about Milwaukee, is the train station right downtown? How far out of town are the fairgrounds?

If you can't figure it out for Wisconsin, take the Empire Builder to the Minnesota State Fair instead! Our MN state fair is much bigger and better than Wisconsin's, I'm sure :)

I would love to take the Amtrak from Chicago to Milwaukee for the State fair. I have not seen any Amtrak ads that they would have connecting bus service to the Fair. It would be a great way to add even more riders to the trains as they are really doing a great job showing people how well Amtrak can save themon gasoline.
http://www.ridemcts.com/uploadedfiles/SystemMap08.pdf

Looks like you could walk a few blocks east of the train station to pick up Route 18 which goes right past State Fair Park.

Ah, State Fair. I'll be going on Wednesday, yippie! Cream puff, corn dogs, cheese curds, milk, corn on the cob; animals, slides, lumberjill shows; watching the enjoyment on my two toddlers' faces!

Cascadia - parking at the Wisconsin State Fair is great! State Fair Park is in the middle of an urban neighborhood, so street parking abounds! There are also lots on site, but I've never parked there. Why pay to park when you can park for free on surrounding streets in a decent neighborhood. It is a party all week long out there!

Yes. MCTS route 18 is the best way to get from the Amtrak station to State Fair.

Way back in the day, there used to be a special extension of route 10 that went to the fair...but that probably stopped 16 years ago or so.

So, 18 is your best bet. Runs reasonably frequent service.

I went to the fair myself on Sunday, and weighed both Amtrak and Megabus before deciding to remain Part of the Problem and drive. It still ended up cheaper transport than either*, plus there was the bonus of stops along the way for things that are hard to come by in IL: New Glarus beer, 5-yr cheddar, and gas under $4. We found street parking in the neighborhood south of the grounds, though I don't mind giving a family $5-10 now and then to park on their lawn.

@Cascadia - While the MN fair is a bigger deal than Wisconsin's, the WI state fair is a good warmup to the Great Minnesota Get-Together and has a few advantages. It's more manageable, less packed, has more llamas (!), and while the ensticked-food innovations aren't as cool, the fried cheese curds aren't a 20-minute wait.

(*note: hybrid car, 2 adults. YMMV...literally.)

The key advantage of taking Amtrak is that you can drink that beer at the fair and not worry about the sobriety of it until you get back to Chicago.

The key advantage of taking Amtrak is that you can drink that beer at the fair and not worry about the sobriety of it until you get back to Chicago.
The other key advantage is that you can gorge yourself on cheese curds and not have to worry that your gas mileage will worsen for the return trip because you gained so much weight :p Man, I miss Wisconsin cheese curds....

The other key advantage is that you can gorge yourself on cheese curds and not have to worry that your gas mileage will worsen for the return trip because you gained so much weight :p Man, I miss Wisconsin cheese curds....
I lived in Wausau for a few years. The restaurant, 2510, had the best ones I ever ate. No cholesterol in those things at all. :p

I'll be at the fair too on Wednesday!!

Look for the guy walking around in the Empire Builder t-shirt!!!

(I hope I can use a media pass and park for free... hahaha)

I'll be at the fair too on Wednesday!!
Look for the guy walking around in the Empire Builder t-shirt!!!

(I hope I can use a media pass and park for free... hahaha)
I didn't see you, but maybe you saw me. I was the guy with a wife, two kids, and a stroller, wearing Brewers gear. That should have narrowed me down!

I parked for free on 90th St!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back