Will Americans ever take sleepers again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
]And then there are a handful of people who are afraid to fly,
This is actually a minimum of 6.5% of the US population last I checked and is a very large market. Estimates of people who are *uncomfortable* with flying, and so will preferentially choose driving if they can get away with it are up to 20%.

Add in the people who should not fly for medical reasons (which seems to be another 5% of the population, roughly), and you have an extremely large market.

It's a MUCH larger market than you think it is.

Most of them -- even the ones going to New York City -- are currently driving. Many will pay slightly more than the driving cost to have a more comfortable trip on a train.

With respect to cost, Amtrak's fares are already subsidized by the government.
Common misconception. Actually, on the majority of routes, Amtrak's fares cover the variable costs of operation, same as your private car, or Greyhound, or the airlines. The fixed costs are subsidized, just as the airlines get subsidized airports, while cars and buses get subsidized roads.
Where the roads are less subsidized, Amtrak is more popular. This is true in North Dakota along the route without an Interstate, and it's true in the New York-Chicago nexus where the expressways are toll roads and parking is pricey.

Whatever the future of those subsidies, I don't think anyone sees a scenario in the near future where they get bigger. And they'd need to get much bigger to compete with driving.
No, they wouldn't need to -- not where it matters.
Between New York and Chicago, Amtrak in coach is already routinely cheaper than driving, and Amtrak could raise prices and still be cheaper than driving. Three points:

(1) Very high parking costs in NY. Also in Chicago. (And Philadelphia. Etc.)

(2) Tolls.

(3) People *from* New York City -- including those in fairly high social classes -- often don't have cars at all and would have to rent them.

I found an estimate of the direct cost of driving from NYC to Chicago a few years ago: gas & tolls. Estimate was $167. Coach on the LSL is cheaper than that. If you don't want to drive 12+ hours straight, add in a $50 hotel room (if you can stand to sleep in Pittsburgh) to get $217.

Sleeper on the LSL from NY to Chicago is currently significantly more expensive than this, but people have proven that they're willing to pay for it. I think this is because if your alternative involves staying overnight in a hotel room, *it's actually faster* than driving.

----

I mentioned that in NYC a lot of people will tolerate longer commutes than you would expect -- the "commuter belt" is larger than it would be in other cities.

Similarly, certain types of cities "punch above their weight" in terms of how much intercity passenger train usage they will generate. In these cities, the "corridor belt", the time range where people will seriously consider taking a train rather than driving or flying, extends out more hours, and starts to extend to overnight trips, and indeed overnight + a day trips. (Theoretically it could extend even farther, but there are no examples in the US.)

These "punch above their weight" cities are cities with:

- large percentages of people with no cars

- lots of colleges (college students are less likely to have cars with them)

- expensive parking

- substantial road tolls

- few expressways

- substantial road congestion

These are the "versus driving" factors. The reason why there are no good routes which are double-overnight is that by the time you've gone that far away from New York, you're west of Chicago and there are no tolls, no road congestion, free parking, etc.

These "punch above their weight" cities are also cities with:

- airports way outside of town (New York, Chicago O'Hare, DC Dulles, Denver, San Francisco), train station in town

- really congested airports (New York)

- really slow airports (Denver, which can take a full hour to walk from the ticket counter to the gate)

These are the "versus flying" factors.

And these "punch above their weight" cities are cities with:

- substantial urban/local rail systems

This is the final factor and I'd call it the "train habit", but it also might reflect how easy it is to get around without a car when you arrive.

The extreme case for pretty much all of these factors is New York City, and I think it's completely unsurprising that sleeping car services out of New York City, as a whole, do better financially than sleeping car services not out of New York City.

For some reason, whenever anyone talks about sleepers or "long-distance" trains, everyone immediately thinks of those 5 "problem trains" in the West. The train which touches neither New York nor Chicago nor DC -- the Sunset Limited -- seems to have the lowest price per mile for sleeping cars.

When people talk about sleepers or "long-distance" trains, I want people to think New York City routes. I believe there is a real growth market for sleeper service, but I believe it's in the east, on routes out of New York City, and to a lesser extent out of Chicago/Boston/Philadelphia/DC.
1. With respect to people who don't like to fly, people who are afraid to do it but do it anyway don't count. The only "afraid to fly" market that counts is the market of people who are so insane about the (minimal) dangers of flying that they will never hold their nose and board an airplane (or at least will never do so domestically), even if it means taking a far less convenient mode of transportation. And THAT market is tiny. Taking a poll and saying x percent are afraid to fly is meaningless-- many of those people fly, whatever they might say. (And that's before we get to where they are located and whether they will pay enough money to make a profit for Amtrak.)

2. You have nothing other than assertion to back up that anyone driving will pay a "slightly" higher cost to take trains. But even if you were right, that's irrelevant, because unless you want Amtrak to operate at a huge loss, the price of a train is not "slightly" higher than driving. It's far higher. Go back to my numbers-- it costs $24 per person for two people to drive roundtrip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. What will a reasonable train fare be? $150 or so per person? $200 per person? That's not slightly higher. There's no way you can make Amtrak fares anywhere near slightly higher than driving. Driving is always going to be far, far cheaper.

3. There's a miasma of data that railfans point to when talking about subsidies, but Amtrak's service is subsidized over all but a couple of routes. And fixed costs are still costs. And it doesn't matter whether other forms of transportation are subsidized, when the issue being discussed is "are Amtrak fares subsidized". They are. I know that there are direct and indirect subsidies to other forms of transportation. It is still dishonest to say that Amtrak fares are not subsidized.

And the big subsidies are for sleeper and diner services, which are priced far, far below costs. Which is why the 2 day Western long distance trains have by far the biggest per passenger subsidies.

Now, as it happens I think it's fine to subsidize lower class travelers up the wazoo, as well as means of transportation that carry huge numbers of people, so I see no problem with subsidizing either coach tickets on the long distance routes or just about anyone on the corridors. But the subsidies right now aren't getting any bigger in the short term, which was my point. So you can't posit things that will cost huge amounts in additional subsidies to do. Anything Amtrak does right now in the form of additional service has to make money, period. That means fares have to be high enough to cover costs.

4. New York to Chicago, eh? At 30 to the gallon, we are talking about approximately 27 gallons of gas. At $3 (it's actually more like $2.50 right now), with 1 driver and 1 passenger, we are talking about $81. Add $50 in tolls and you get $131, and divide it by the two passengers and we are talking $65.50 per person. Add a room halfway if you want (although it's easy enough for many people to make the trip in one driving day) and maybe we are up to $100 per person. And the food's much cheaper than it is on the LSL.

But it's worse than that. Because you are figuring parking charges and such which skews the comparison. One of the CONVENIENCES of driving is having your car at your destination. If you are going to count parking charges, you have to count BOTH parking charges AND rental car charges if you are taking the train.

You aren't competing with driving. People drive because it's cheap and because they want a car. If they don't want a car at their destination and they can afford not to drive, then they might take the train. But they might take the bus or plane too. THOSE are Amtrak's competitors.

5. People are willing to pay for the sleeper on the LSL AT CURRENT FARES. However, that sleeper is seriously underpriced. It includes free meals in the diner, which lose Amtrak all sorts of money. And sleepers cost a ton more in terms of labor (including all those sleeping car attendants), maintenance (amortized over fewer passengers, but also the car is more complicated to maintain), etc. Now, if you stopped giving free food to sleeping car passengers (which Amtrak should have done 30 years ago) and charge what it actually costs to run the sleeper, there's no way it's going to be anything close to competitive with driving. It already isn't right now, even though it's getting a huge subsidy.

At any rate, even if you don't accept that sleepers are underpriced, they are still, even in their current pricing, seriously uncompetitive with driving or intercity bus service. They do stand a slight chance when compared to business travel airfares, but that requires that the sleeper be completely reliable and get in on time, every day, and it also requires a trip that takes a few hours less than the LSL does so a business traveler can leave at night and get in the next morning.

6. It's complete fantasyland to think that just because people ride subways in New York and don't have cars, large numbers would be willing to spend 18 or 24 or 36 or 48 hours on a train as opposed to flying somewhere. I don't know why anyone would believe such a thing, but suffice to say that the New York Central and Pennsylvania RR's overnight passenger services went just as belly-up as the Santa Fe's and Southern Pacific's did when this theory was tested out.

I don't think it's a fantasyland that mass-transit dependent cities are better for Amtrak, but that's basically exclusively due to the corridors. It definitely makes Acela a lot more valuable, for instance, that it goes right into the city center in Boston, New York, and Washington and connects directly to subways and buses and taxis. However, if you are in the tiny minority that wants to spend 2 days on a train, it really doesn't matter that much that once you get off that train (several hours late), you can make a quick connection to the CTA at Chicago Union STation.

7. In terms of sleeper service in New York city, sure, if you can get a train to leave at 9 pm at night and get into another city at 7 the next morning, you could do sleeper service. Amtrak used to run slumbercoaches from Washington to Boston, and that sort of thing makes perfect sense. You have a reliable train, and a time window that makes it a viable service for business travelers. And then it connects to mass transit in the center of town.

But there just aren't very many routes where you can make that work. First, you need the service to be reliable. Second, you need the commuter and freight railroads to cooperate. And third, you really need the right time window. There's no way business travelers are going to spend 20 hours on a train from New York to Chicago, for instance, or 31 hours on a train from New York to Florida.

By the way, if I can point to something that could be a possible situation where a sleeper might work, it's something Amtrak tried once and which got killed prematurely because of state politics: The Spirit of California. This was an overnight train using the old SP Lark route to San Jose and then up the Capitol Corridor through to Sacramento. That routing is a fairly slow way to get from LA to the Bay Area (which is why the Coast Starlight, which makes the run in the day, doesn't really offer serious competition to the airlines, Greyhound, and I-5), but it works perfectly, schedule-wise, as an overnight train. The train, as I said, was killed because a new gubernatorial administration came in and killed it in 1983.

Now there's still problems-- you have to get Union Pacific to cooperate with a train running up the coast route in the middle of the night. And the better routing would be to go up the CalTrain tracks to San Francisco (as the original Lark did) rather than to Sacramento. But if someone wanted to test the "make a sleeping car service that would be attractive the general non-railfan public", that would be an interesting place to try it.

The Spirit of California had two other issues that tangled up with one another. One was that the ridership estimates were extremely high and weren't met. The other is that the train apparently had a habit of running with packed sleepers and mostly empty coach seats. Basically, equipment allocation did not line up with demand for much of the route, and it sounds like a lack of sleepers being allocated to the train limited the train's ability to meet demand (this latter point having been a chronic problem pretty much since A-Day, or at least from sometime in the 1970s...for example, IIRC several of the trains axed during the Carter cuts were axed because of low ridership...but they were regularly packed and the ridership shortcomings had quite a bit to do with not having the equipment to even hope to make those targets).

Moving back to driving, if you want to play that particular game I'd point out that the effective cost of a trip that's running 1600-2000 miles r/t is going to be a bit higher than just the gas. I wouldn't go as far as the IRS-offered expense schedules, but there's definitely an added maintenance cost to such a trip in many cases. Gas is the most visible cost, yes, but I'd throw in at least some incidental other costs as well (oil, any sort of pre-trip checkup, that sort of thing).

Last edited by a moderator:
1. With respect to people who don't like to fly, people who are afraid to do it but do it anyway don't count. The only "afraid to fly" market that counts is the market of people who are so insane about the (minimal) dangers of flying that they will never hold their nose and board an airplane (or at least will never do so domestically), even if it means taking a far less convenient mode of transportation. And THAT market is tiny.
If you think based on your doctrinaire theological beliefs that it is "tiny", then I will be unable to sway your mind.
Here in reality, the fact is that it's over 5% of the population (based on the lowest estimates), and the can't-fly population is another 5%. I dug up the numbers, you can dig them up too.

If you think 10% of the population is tiny, it's obvious that there's no point trying to communicate with you. I didn't bother to read the rest of what you wrote because there's no point in talking to someone whose beliefs are theological and doctrinaire.

Come back when you admit that 10% of the population will avoid flying like the plague, and that that's significant. Like I said, most of them drive.

----

OK, I did read the rest of what you wrote. Apart from your doctrinaire theological belief, I think you missed a couple of other key points.

First, on ridership demand. You are making the same stupid error which everyone makes, which is mixing up Eastern apples and Western oranges. Let me see if I can get this point through your head, since you missed it the first time. This time with details.

* The LSL has good-enough overnight timing for Buffalo-Chicago, Rochester-Chicago, Syracuse-Chicago, and attracts pragmatic sleeper ridership from these points.

There is a real, and substantial, market of people who will take an "on at 7 PM, off at 9 AM" train, even if that's not a proper "on at 9, off at 7". I've run into specific statements from two Buffalo businessmen taking sleepers to Chicago, and I've met a lot of people on family visits (not cruises, time-constrained) between Syracuse or Rochester and Chicago. Some in coach (alternatives: Greyhound, driving, flying but Amtrak is more comfortable so they'll pay a small premium). Some in sleeper (same alternatives, well-to-do, care about comfort more).

* The LSL runs a bit too long for NY-Chicago business trips, but it still attracts a bunch of people.

There's another real, substantial, market who will take an overnight 18 hour trip (hey, it's better than a 10 hour drive), but not a 24 hour trip. This is smaller than the first market, but it's still substantial. This includes plenty of people who might fly but prefer not to. I've met a bunch. (The "wealthy folks who can set their own schedules and like comfort" market from NY-Chicago is huge.)

* There is another smaller market will take an overnight 24 hour trip but not a double-overnight 48 hour trip. This includes people who *strongly* prefer not to fly. This seems from what I've heard to be the mainstay of the Florida train market. (The Florida trains are all profitable.)

* Longer than that, and you're into a combination of cruise trips and people who can't fly / won't fly. I've met them, too, on the transcons. The population on the transcons west of Chicago is really different from the population on the LSL. This would still be a lot of people *if* you're looking at a long string of large cities (like on the Trans-Siberian). But it's really not enough to support four separate trains across the low-population Rockies.

My point here is that, *contrary* to what you imagine, there isn't a magical "time wall" where ridership drops off catastrophically. As the trip gets longer, the number of people who will take it drops, but it drops smoothly. The same is true for pricing; as it gets more expensive, the number of people who will buy it drops, but it drops smoothly.

When you're dealing with New York and Chicago, with Albany and Buffalo as intermediate points, and with an 18-hour total trip -- then that residual number of people, while less than you'd expect for a short corridor service, is still plenty of people to support a substantial service. (The LSL routinely has 10 revenue cars, but Monday before Christmas it was hauling 11, and was overbooked. Yeah, most of the passengers were in coaches, but the sleepers were full up too, at very high prices.)

By way of contrast, if you're dealing with Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Kansas as intermediate points and a 48+-hour trip from LA to Chicago, that residual number of people isn't enough to support a substantial service.

----

Regarding the financials:

The experience of Penn Central (with a wartime ticket tax, the full cost of maintaining tracks, a declining carload freight business, commuter services, competing with brand new uncongested government-funded highways) is not relevant to the modern-day situation of Amtrak, where trackwork is funded out of a separate pot and the highways are congested.

The LSL is profitable, before arbitrary overhead allocation is applied. (I've demonstrated this elsewhere, based on Boardman's numbers.) Each sleeper car generates significantly more revenue than each coach car. (Paulus & I worked this out. This last phenomenon appears to be specific to the LSL right now; it's not true on the Florida trains, perhaps because they have a lot of profitable short-distance traffic.) The ridership on the LSL didn't even seem to drop much when the train was catastrophically late and cancelled for weeks, though I think the revenue did.

Amtrak is "undercharging" for the sleepers on the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, etc. Amtrak is charging plenty for the sleepers on the Lake Shore Limited. It is consistently cheaper to get a roomette from Chicago to LA than it is from Chicago to Syracuse. (Think about what that means). Again, East is not like West.

(Don't talk about 'free meals'; they're a sideshow. The 'free meals' were designed to transfer revenue from the sleeping cars to the dining cars because of Congressional obsession with dining cars. But the prices of sleeping compartments have nothing to do with the free meals; the evidence is people on the LSL, will pay the same amount without the one free breakfast.)

There is unmet demand here. Lots of it. And this is with the usual bad OTP.

It's well documented that poor on time performance *does* cause *very sharp* drops in ridership (in the way that longer schedules do not necessarily). These trains have had bad OTP for decades. I really have no idea how much demand there would be on the LSL if they could simply run it on time, but obviously a lot more.

And that's "a lot more" than a train which routinely sells out and is already longer than the platforms.

----

I have to make an analogy here. Ocean liners are obsolete, right? Yeah? Well, there's still one market where an ocean liner plies the waves: London to New York. London is apparently an especially strong market of wealthy people who really prefer to travel by sea rather than air, and will spend huge premiums in time and money to do so. (New York less so, but it's the favored destination of the Londoners.) Although they sell a lot of cruises, the actual one-way travel market out of London remains large enough that Cunard still cater to it. (There are a bunch of specific decisions which indicate that this market originates in London, not New York.)

Will sleeping cars remain a niche market? Sure, but they're a much bigger niche than ocean liners. Where is that niche? Out of New York, going into New York, and to a lesser extent Chicago/Boston/Philadelphia/DC. Anything which is one night and less than a day out of New York is on fairly solid footing, as long as driving isn't too much faster.

I've made some effort to figure out where the cutoff is for viable (popular-enough) sleeper service. If you go strictly commercially, it looks at the moment as if New York-Florida and New York-Chicago routes are profitable, period. (New York is special.) If you stretch a point and consider connecting revenue, DC-Chicago might be. If you believe that the market for sleepers is improving (as I do), you may also see future decent markets in NY-Atlanta-New Orleans, Chicago-New Orleans, Chicago-Texas, Chicago-Denver, Chicago-Minneapolis, and perhaps some other places east of the Mississippi.

You won't find commercially viable markets across the Rockies or the desert. They'll have to be justified for other reasons (the Empire Builder by serving small towns more cheaply than air or highway service, for example).

----

Oh. And having a car in New York isn't an amenity, it's a nightmare. You have to be crazy to drive a car in Manhattan. (This is a known thing, it's not just me saying it.) Yes, this is a real reason why people will preferentially fly or take the train rather than driving to New York, I've heard it repeatedly from many people. (Boston has a similar "don't drive there if you can possibly avoid it" reputation, but not as extreme.)

To piggyback on what Nathanael just said...there's an increasing segment of the population out there that is not only can't-fly, it's also can't-drive (or at least can't-drive-long-distances). This is mostly senior citizens, yes, but that is a growing segment of the population...and per their own studies, Amtrak's ridership does skew a bit older because of this. It isn't just discretionary time that makes senior citizens lean towards the train...for many, it is also the fact that the other alternatives are unworkable for various reasons.

Since long-distance trains exist for:

1- Landcruisers who want a subsidized ride

2- Old people

3- Crippled

Then why not price the coaches competitively so that the poor, old, and crippled can ride cheaply, and make up that low price from the landcruisers, since they're not price sensitive and care more about amenities. That way, you meet the social justice + land cruise dual mandate of these things.

I'm being slightly facetious, but while I recognize the social justice argument, surely you realize that most towns in the US don't have intercity rail service, so it's not like removing these long-distance routes would cause an inequitable hardship.

For what it's worth, the night trains I've taken in Europe have been purely functional. Munich to Venice I took because the only cost-competitive flights were at like 6 AM out of Munich which would have required a nasty commute to the edge of town. It was something like 11 PM - 7 AM. There was just a cafe car (although to be fair, the only meal one would really need on this was breakfast, and they provided it). They have land cruises but they're all run by private operators.

Any further distance and a budget flight + hotel would have been the better option.

The two main arguments I see on here are:

1- People who want a luxury cross-country ride (Proof of that? The amount of people who fly from City A to City B, take the LD train from City B to City C, and then fly back from City C to City D).

2- Transportation for people who are unable/unwilling to fly or drive.

If there are other arguments, I'd be willing to entertain them. But it's pretty specious to argue that the western long-distance trains are integrated much at all with greater transportation network. When I went from Munch to Venice, I then connected to a regional to get to the next town. My night train arrived I think within 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival time, and more importantly, I never had to 1) worry about making the connection 2) book an unnecessarily long transfer time.

Taxpayers have no business subsidizing the first category of passengers. After all, the justification for subsidizing transport of any mode (road, rail, etc) is mobility and industry.

I'm far more sympathetic for the second category. So let's break it out:

A- Those who can't afford a flight. Bottom line is that a lot of things are tough when you're poor. Income subsidies are better ways to transfer wealth to the poor.

B- Airports are too far away. That's a caveat emptor when you live in rural areas. Lots of things are far away, and the near things tend to be expensive. If you want to be near a high density of low cost infrastructure, move to a dense area. All utilities and infrastructure are expensive in rural areas (telecom, water, etc).

C- Old people. Old people fly all the time, so I don't see the issue with age. Health concerns are another issue.

D- Fear of flying. That's a tough one, I agree. But I'm not going to conflate it with the mere "discomfort/annoyance with flying". That is, TSA, seat crowding, fares, etc.

E- Medical conditions making one unable to fly. No way around it. But I wager that Greyhound tickets plus hotel accommodations would still be cheaper and probably more convenient, since you could have several departures per day (AM, mid-day, and night departures versus a 2 AM departure).

Bottom line: Many of the arguments in favor of support amount to rural subsidies, which if you want to do that, it'd be far more efficient to give the money to rural people and let them decide what to do with it (they might prefer to drive + park at airport for instance) rather than bundle the subsidy in the form of a railroad.

Obvious the landcruise subsidy holds no water with me.

Which leaves health and aviophobia as the only credible argument for me. If I'm missing some, I'd truly like to hear them. And this is coming from someone who wants to see the US passenger rail network succeed, but I believe it has to really start with urban and regional rail, since that's the best bang for your buck on RR investment.

1- People who want a luxury cross-country ride (Proof of that? The amount of people who fly from City A to City B, take the LD train from City B to City C, and then fly back from City C to City D).

If there are other arguments, I'd be willing to entertain them. But it's pretty specious to argue that the western long-distance trains are integrated much at all with greater transportation network. When I went from Munch to Venice, I then connected to a regional to get to the next town. My night train arrived I think within 15 minutes of the scheduled arrival time, and more importantly, I never had to 1) worry about making the connection 2) book an unnecessarily long transfer time.

Taxpayers have no business subsidizing the first category of passengers. After all, the justification for subsidizing transport of any mode (road, rail, etc) is mobility and industry.

A- Those who can't afford a flight. Bottom line is that a lot of things are tough when you're poor. Income subsidies are better ways to transfer wealth to the poor.

B- Airports are too far away. That's a caveat emptor when you live in rural areas. Lots of things are far away, and the near things tend to be expensive. If you want to be near a high density of low cost infrastructure, move to a dense area. All utilities and infrastructure are expensive in rural areas (telecom, water, etc).

C- Old people. Old people fly all the time, so I don't see the issue with age. Health concerns are another issue.

D- Fear of flying. That's a tough one, I agree. But I'm not going to conflate it with the mere "discomfort/annoyance with flying". That is, TSA, seat crowding, fares, etc.

E- Medical conditions making one unable to fly. No way around it. But I wager that Greyhound tickets plus hotel accommodations would still be cheaper and probably more convenient, since you could have several departures per day (AM, mid-day, and night departures versus a 2 AM departure).

Bottom line: Many of the arguments in favor of support amount to rural subsidies, which if you want to do that, it'd be far more efficient to give the money to rural people and let them decide what to do with it (they might prefer to drive + park at airport for instance) rather than bundle the subsidy in the form of a railroad.

Which leaves health and aviophobia as the only credible argument for me. If I'm missing some, I'd truly like to hear them. And this is coming from someone who wants to see the US passenger rail network succeed, but I believe it has to really start with urban and regional rail, since that's the best bang for your buck on RR investment.
so, are you favoring government subsidies for flights to small cities and rural airports? those are enormous costs for FAA, TSA, DOT infrastructure subsidies, etc............

so, are you favoring government subsidies for flights to small cities and rural airports? those are enormous costs for FAA, TSA, DOT infrastructure subsidies, etc............
Politically I don't support EAS either. It's merely a rural subsidy which would be better handled with a direct payment.

Constitutionally, I take the Postal Clause as the guiding principle behind this, "The Congress shall have Power...To establish Post Offices and post Roads" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Clause). To this end, and the early debate about the National Road (US-40 presently), I believe that Congress can and should fund the infrastructure needed to establish commerce and trade within the US. That's why I'm ok with subsidies for roads, airports, and railroad infrastructure.

However, I don't think that you can make the case for federal subsidy of the operational aspect. That would be something to be devolved to the state level (and whatever their respective constitutions allow), nor do I support airline bailouts (as opposed to airport bailouts or ATC infrastructure improvements).

Do the operational companies, such as Delta, or Greyhound, get to run their revenue service on infrastructure that they don't own for free, and hence avoid having to bundle infrastructure capital costs into their prices? Sure, but that's why the FAA should auction off air traffic slots, and why Interstate Highways should be tolled in 100% of the time...let the users of the service pay for it.

Bear in mind, that in the Northeast, most major bridges and highways ARE tolled, and when I buy my Greyhound ticket (my preferred mode of travel since it's cheaper than Amtrak and I'm not time-sensitive), I'm helping pay those tolls.

I think that the Interstate Highway System was the right model: Socialized infrastructure with private operators, with no expectation (or need) for the infrastructure to "make a profit". Let landcruise companies venture into the market. After all, you've got multiple classes of motorcoach companies:

1- Intercity transportation (Greyhound, Megabus)

2- Scenic tours (leaves, bridges, etc)

3- Charters (bus trips to xxx)

4a- You could argue that 18-wheelers are the "freight" analogue to passenger motorcoaches (i.e. heavy diesel vehicles which carry a revenue payload).

What's so wrong with motorcoaches anyway? Here in the east, we've got multiple classes of motorcoaches:

1- Low end Chinatown expresses with no frills

2- Milk runs by Greyhound

3- Nicer expresses by Greyhound Express, Megabus, Peter Pan, DC2NY, and other multiple operators

4- Super luxury coaches like Vamoose Gold, and other some others

So you can get the class of coach you want, depending on your preference for time, luxury, and quality.

So why not provide rural transportation through motorcoach? State and localities can subsidize.

I understand the arguments for subsidies in support of rural intercity mobility, I really do. But I can't escape the feeling that many people favor Amtrak over motorcoaches because trains are cooler, (they are! I love riding them), have better legroom(I'm tall and airline seats suck, although East Coast buses have gotten better with legroom) , and have meal cars. But that alone can't justify the subsidy.

RE:

but that's why.............. and why Interstate Highways should be tolled in 100% of the time.

So the Federal gasoline tax should go exactly to what? Since you want all interstate highways to be toll roads.........

I believe you are just trolling here.

RE:

but that's why.............. and why Interstate Highways should be tolled in 100% of the time.

So the Federal gasoline tax should go exactly to what? Since you want all interstate highways to be toll roads.........

I believe you are just trolling here.
Before the modern technology, the best way to try to "charge" people for driving on highways was through the gas tax. However, nowadays there's no excuse not to toll the highways. That way, your "user fee" is only applied to people who drive on the Interstates.

Suppose you never drive on an Interstate. You still have to pay the federal gas tax when you fill up. Where's the justice in that?

Using the logic of the gas tax, there should be a federal sales tax on food, using it to pay for our agricultural subsidies.

And don't call me a troll, trolling is "I don't want to pay for your choo-choo nonsense". I just believe that you need to be able to distinguish between what routes get investment and which ones don't. My argument is that you can provide rural and disabled mobility options at a better value using other modes.

Federal funding goes for far more things than just the interstate highway system.

As far as the justice of paying things that you don't use, that ship has sailed. Everyone pays for things that they don't directly use - we've decided that we're better off as a society if we pay for those things.

Trying desperately to bring this back on topic, you're still wide of the mark on who takes LD trains. There are plenty of us that are neither crippled nor old that use the LD trains for effective transportation (not land cruises). My son and I just too the train from WAS-ATL - cheaper than flying, and I wasn't interested in driving because my wife and daughter had driven down a few days earlier (her grandmother was in the hospital), and we were all to drive back together. A few months before that my wife and daughter took the train to Tampa (again from WAS), it was again cheaper than flying and easier than a 2 day drive and a hotel.

WAS, ATL, and TPA aren't exactly rural America, either.

It's not exactly surprising that a highly subsidized train was cheaper than flying :p

I'm not sure on the financials on eastern long distance trains, so forgive me. A one-way roomette, 1x adult and 1x child fare gets as cheap as $305 if you book the right time, and giving the AAA discount to you and your boy) for about a 14 hour trip.

Early booking from from BWI (I presumed that on account of your MARC handle and Odenton station code) comes in at $247 for about a 2 hour nonstop one-way.

For shorter-term bookings, this Sunday's Crescent costs you and your son $560. US Air from BWI for $455.

I'm not at all disputing that you got your Amtrak ticket cheaper than a similar airfare, but my quick sample suggests that it's usually cheaper to just fly. And if there are cases where flying is more expensive than Amtrak, certainly it'd be cheaper for the government to cut you a check for the price difference and have you fly at the same price as the Amtrak train.

Federal funding goes for far more things than just the interstate highway system.

As far as the justice of paying things that you don't use, that ship has sailed. Everyone pays for things that they don't directly use - we've decided that we're better off as a society if we pay for those things.

Trying desperately to bring this back on topic, you're still wide of the mark on who takes LD trains. There are plenty of us that are neither crippled nor old that use the LD trains for effective transportation (not land cruises). My son and I just too the train from WAS-ATL - cheaper than flying, and I wasn't interested in driving because my wife and daughter had driven down a few days earlier (her grandmother was in the hospital), and we were all to drive back together. A few months before that my wife and daughter took the train to Tampa (again from WAS), it was again cheaper than flying and easier than a 2 day drive and a hotel.

WAS, ATL, and TPA aren't exactly rural America, either.

Did the same analysis on BWI-TPA airfare versus WAS-TPA on rail, and I still can't see the savings, generally speaking. I can get you, your wife and daughter to Tampa for $280 one-way in 4 hours, as opposed to $913 one-way for roomettes (with discounts) for $800 for about 20 hrs travel, this is for a few months out.

For this coming Sunday, it's $485 BWI-TPA, about $1400 Amtrak.

If the market bears these prices, fine. But I don't see where the cost-saving argument comes in.

First of all, some municipalities do in fact charge for services from the fire department, where they won't save your house if you don't pay a fee. And an ambulance ride will cost you. In rural areas where there's no chance of the fire spreading to a neighboring house, it can work. Obviously in dense urban areas, you can't afford to let a building burn uncontrolled for the risk of spread, hence you tax everyone for the combined benefit.

I'm fine with passing on the costs of, in this case, air infrastructure to the users. Frankly, as an urban resident, I wouldn't be hit that badly since there are so many users, that you can divide the costs of infrastructure among the users. It'd be rural areas that would be hit the hardest. A small airport with just a few revenue flights per day would have it real bad.

FYI - The 9/11 security fee in theory pays for TSA operations. In 2011 it was 2.50 per "enplanement" and it covered around 20% of the TSA's budget ( So bump it up to $12.50 per enplament and the TSA is fully-funded.

Most of the FAA does bureaucratic work analogous to the FRA (standards and regulation). Both of them are paid for by general funds, I believe.

It could be cheaper for the feds to cut air travel subsidies. If you want to fly, you pay full cost for FFA, TSA, DOT, infrastructure, etc in your fare. Cost of flying goes up a lot.

Also, why pay for fire departments and police from general fund taxes? Make them a "fee for service" operation, right? {sarc}

Still say you are a troll. Sorry, but it is what it is.

And just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't make me a troll. Even in Europe where:

1- The rails are state-owned,

2- Where passenger rail is favored over freight,

3- Where the people are used to taking train

4- Where there's the population density to support rail

5- Where operators get state subsidies and protection

There's still a movement away from long distance and sleeper trains thanks, mostly to budget airlines (http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2014/12/sleeper-trains). If it won't work there, I can't see how it's going to work here.

Listen, if there were unlimited resources for Amtrak and passenger rail, I'd love there to be a robust network for sleepers. But there isn't. Don't these monthly reports that get published here prove that, time and time again, the best ROI for Amtrak is on its NEC and corridor routes? People will ride, in good numbers, on 0-4 hour lines. Not surprisingly, that's the case all over the world, including China (http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/06/soaring-demand-china-low-cost-airlines-2014617123444865742.html).

agree in general -- low-cost airlines are currently eating the lunch of European rail providers

(especially in places, like Southern Europe, without robust ICE infrastructure).

everything over 2-3 hours train time, and Europeans hop on a low-cost plane.

in some cases, trains are used to supplement air travel -- for example, one may fly

to Dusseldorf and then take a 2-hour train ride to Amsterdam (if direct flights to

Amsterdam are more expensive or less convenient). Of course, this requires

excellent [short] connection from the airport to the ICE rail network.

Port of call: based on your posts I'd say that you learned your economics and public policy theory from the same charlatans that "advised" Presidents Raegan and W! In other words the theories are vodoo nonsense, ie a financial disaster for the country! You could look it up!!

As one of our more brilliant Founding Fathers Ben Franklin said: " We can hang together or we'll seperately!" Being an urban resident does spread the costs of public services but wanting them for yourself and denying them to rural residents is elitist and poor public policy! ( "equal protection under the law" is supposed to be our quiding principle!)

Yeah, Lufthansa's "connecting flight" from Frankfurt is often an ICE train from the airport station to whatever city you were going to.

When I was studying in Germany, a student at the host university was "going out of town" for the weekend. I asked him where he was taking the train to, and he replied that he was flying to Bulgaria to go to a particular nightclub on Saturday, and returning Sunday afternoon...

agree in general -- low-cost airlines are currently eating the lunch of European rail providers

(especially in places, like Southern Europe, without robust ICE infrastructure).

everything over 2-3 hours train time, and Europeans hop on a low-cost plane.

in some cases, trains are used to supplement air travel -- for example, one may fly

to Dusseldorf and then take a 2-hour train ride to Amsterdam (if direct flights to

Amsterdam are more expensive or less convenient). Of course, this requires

excellent [short] connection from the airport to the ICE rail network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back