Will Americans ever take sleepers again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if the goal is to provide passenger rail to rural areas, then Amtrak should have

a *BIGGER* subsidy, specifically for that purpose.

NEC riders should also see lower prices as the result (otherwise it's not fair),

getting a [albeit smaller] share of that subsidy.

I'm not here to debate politics, but I'm pretty sure it was Jimmy Carter who deregulated most of the interstate carriers (air, rail and road).

Port of call: based on your posts I'd say that you learned your economics and public policy theory from the same charlatans that "advised" Presidents Raegan and W! In other words the theories are vodoo nonsense, ie a financial disaster for the country! You could look it up!!

As one of our more brilliant Founding Fathers Ben Franklin said: " We can hang together or we'll seperately!" Being an urban resident does spread the costs of public services but wanting them for yourself and denying them to rural residents is elitist and poor public policy! ( "equal protection under the law" is supposed to be our quiding principle!)

If the end goal is specifically rural passenger rail, then yes you need a bigger subsidy.

If the end goal is strictly intercity mobility, which I think is the better way to view it, then you're simply better off giving a rebate to a rural resident on a plane or bus ticket. Certainly cheaper than dealing with the fixed cost of running a railroad through that area.

Even if you assume that all modes get some form of subsidy, why the insistence on rail? Intercity coaches are more flexible in their routing and cheaper to operate. People in the east ride intercity coaches all the time; I'm not sure what's preventing those in rural areas from doing so as well.

if the goal is to provide passenger rail to rural areas, then Amtrak should have

a *BIGGER* subsidy, specifically for that purpose.

NEC riders should also see lower prices as the result (otherwise it's not fair),

getting a [albeit smaller] share of that subsidy.

I'm not sure on the financials on eastern long distance trains, so forgive me. A one-way roomette, 1x adult and 1x child fare gets as cheap as $305 if you book the right time, and giving the AAA discount to you and your boy) for about a 14 hour trip.
I don't pay cash, I travel on points (which come free to me through smart credit card use). 15,000 for a roomette for two is always cheaper than airfare for two. The deal gets even better when you throw in a couple of free meals and free parking at the train station.

The deal gets explosively better when you take the Auto Train to FL and don't have to pay for a rental car.

Not political, its historical fact!

You are correct sir,Carter is among the worst Presidents of rececent times but also an honest, decent guy who didn't cash in after he left office like so many other politicians! Clearly the best of the ex- Presidents!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about other places, but in NJ even the tortoise-like

NJ Transit train handily beats the [NJ Transit or private company] bus.

Traffic lights, jams (especially around bridges and tunnels), etc -- buses

generally much slower.

So, I will definitely vote for a *BIGGER* Amtrak subsidy (which, however,

MUST trickle-down to NEC and other well-patronized routes) versus a
"government check" that I can only apply to a bus travel.

OK fair enough. I don't know much about the points system so I can see how it makes the rates more competitive.

On the other hand, for a casual user, perhaps you would understand why flights typically get the preference over the train, no?

I can definitely see the advantage on the Auto Train with regards to the car rental. I was going over the numbers because my gf and I like to visit my grandparents in Sarasota FL, and I think the break-even point was 7 days, that is, any more than a week's car rental and the Auto Train was the better deal. I can thus see why the Auto Train is a good money maker for Amtrak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorail

Germany has 16 compliant stations apparently. The genius is that unlike main train stations, you don't need to have the Autotrain stations in the city centers. Take this link I've attached...it's Neu Isenburg, in the southern suburbs of Munich. http://goo.gl/maps/QxVsP

All you really need, it seems like a siding and a ramp. It's not even that big of a station, just a standard suburban station.

I'm not sure on the financials on eastern long distance trains, so forgive me. A one-way roomette, 1x adult and 1x child fare gets as cheap as $305 if you book the right time, and giving the AAA discount to you and your boy) for about a 14 hour trip.

I don't pay cash, I travel on points (which come free to me through smart credit card use). 15,000 for a roomette for two is always cheaper than airfare for two. The deal gets even better when you throw in a couple of free meals and free parking at the train station.

The deal gets explosively better when you take the Auto Train to FL and don't have to pay for a rental car.

I don't think that tunnels, bridges, and traffic jams are really that big of an issue out west. And I think the reasons you provide explain why rail travel in the northeast is such a cash cow. I've noticed a lot of Amtrak stations outside of the coasts aren't really even in the city centers...they're often within a classification yard somewhere on the outskirts of town.

I don't know about other places, but in NJ even the tortoise-like

NJ Transit train handily beats the [NJ Transit or private company] bus.

Traffic lights, jams (especially around bridges and tunnels), etc -- buses

generally much slower.

So, I will definitely vote for a *BIGGER* Amtrak subsidy (which, however,

MUST trickle-down to NEC and other well-patronized routes) versus a
"government check" that I can only apply to a bus travel.

Traveling on points and then going "It's cheaper than flying on cash!" is an incredibly useless comparison metric. Compare like to like.

I did compare like for like. 15k gets you a roomette for two.

The cheapest you can fly on points is between 10k and 11k per person on WN.
n6dmpf.jpg

1. With respect to people who don't like to fly, people who are afraid to do it but do it anyway don't count. The only "afraid to fly" market that counts is the market of people who are so insane about the (minimal) dangers of flying that they will never hold their nose and board an airplane (or at least will never do so domestically), even if it means taking a far less convenient mode of transportation. And THAT market is tiny.
If you think based on your doctrinaire theological beliefs that it is "tiny", then I will be unable to sway your mind.
Here in reality, the fact is that it's over 5% of the population (based on the lowest estimates), and the can't-fly population is another 5%. I dug up the numbers, you can dig them up too.

If you think 10% of the population is tiny, it's obvious that there's no point trying to communicate with you. I didn't bother to read the rest of what you wrote because there's no point in talking to someone whose beliefs are theological and doctrinaire.

Come back when you admit that 10% of the population will avoid flying like the plague, and that that's significant. Like I said, most of them drive.

----

OK, I did read the rest of what you wrote. Apart from your doctrinaire theological belief, I think you missed a couple of other key points.

First, on ridership demand. You are making the same stupid error which everyone makes, which is mixing up Eastern apples and Western oranges. Let me see if I can get this point through your head, since you missed it the first time. This time with details.

* The LSL has good-enough overnight timing for Buffalo-Chicago, Rochester-Chicago, Syracuse-Chicago, and attracts pragmatic sleeper ridership from these points.

There is a real, and substantial, market of people who will take an "on at 7 PM, off at 9 AM" train, even if that's not a proper "on at 9, off at 7". I've run into specific statements from two Buffalo businessmen taking sleepers to Chicago, and I've met a lot of people on family visits (not cruises, time-constrained) between Syracuse or Rochester and Chicago. Some in coach (alternatives: Greyhound, driving, flying but Amtrak is more comfortable so they'll pay a small premium). Some in sleeper (same alternatives, well-to-do, care about comfort more).

* The LSL runs a bit too long for NY-Chicago business trips, but it still attracts a bunch of people.

There's another real, substantial, market who will take an overnight 18 hour trip (hey, it's better than a 10 hour drive), but not a 24 hour trip. This is smaller than the first market, but it's still substantial. This includes plenty of people who might fly but prefer not to. I've met a bunch. (The "wealthy folks who can set their own schedules and like comfort" market from NY-Chicago is huge.)

* There is another smaller market will take an overnight 24 hour trip but not a double-overnight 48 hour trip. This includes people who *strongly* prefer not to fly. This seems from what I've heard to be the mainstay of the Florida train market. (The Florida trains are all profitable.)

* Longer than that, and you're into a combination of cruise trips and people who can't fly / won't fly. I've met them, too, on the transcons. The population on the transcons west of Chicago is really different from the population on the LSL. This would still be a lot of people *if* you're looking at a long string of large cities (like on the Trans-Siberian). But it's really not enough to support four separate trains across the low-population Rockies.

My point here is that, *contrary* to what you imagine, there isn't a magical "time wall" where ridership drops off catastrophically. As the trip gets longer, the number of people who will take it drops, but it drops smoothly. The same is true for pricing; as it gets more expensive, the number of people who will buy it drops, but it drops smoothly.

When you're dealing with New York and Chicago, with Albany and Buffalo as intermediate points, and with an 18-hour total trip -- then that residual number of people, while less than you'd expect for a short corridor service, is still plenty of people to support a substantial service. (The LSL routinely has 10 revenue cars, but Monday before Christmas it was hauling 11, and was overbooked. Yeah, most of the passengers were in coaches, but the sleepers were full up too, at very high prices.)

By way of contrast, if you're dealing with Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Kansas as intermediate points and a 48+-hour trip from LA to Chicago, that residual number of people isn't enough to support a substantial service.

----

Regarding the financials:

The experience of Penn Central (with a wartime ticket tax, the full cost of maintaining tracks, a declining carload freight business, commuter services, competing with brand new uncongested government-funded highways) is not relevant to the modern-day situation of Amtrak, where trackwork is funded out of a separate pot and the highways are congested.

The LSL is profitable, before arbitrary overhead allocation is applied. (I've demonstrated this elsewhere, based on Boardman's numbers.) Each sleeper car generates significantly more revenue than each coach car. (Paulus & I worked this out. This last phenomenon appears to be specific to the LSL right now; it's not true on the Florida trains, perhaps because they have a lot of profitable short-distance traffic.) The ridership on the LSL didn't even seem to drop much when the train was catastrophically late and cancelled for weeks, though I think the revenue did.

Amtrak is "undercharging" for the sleepers on the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, etc. Amtrak is charging plenty for the sleepers on the Lake Shore Limited. It is consistently cheaper to get a roomette from Chicago to LA than it is from Chicago to Syracuse. (Think about what that means). Again, East is not like West.

(Don't talk about 'free meals'; they're a sideshow. The 'free meals' were designed to transfer revenue from the sleeping cars to the dining cars because of Congressional obsession with dining cars. But the prices of sleeping compartments have nothing to do with the free meals; the evidence is people on the LSL, will pay the same amount without the one free breakfast.)

There is unmet demand here. Lots of it. And this is with the usual bad OTP.

It's well documented that poor on time performance *does* cause *very sharp* drops in ridership (in the way that longer schedules do not necessarily). These trains have had bad OTP for decades. I really have no idea how much demand there would be on the LSL if they could simply run it on time, but obviously a lot more.

And that's "a lot more" than a train which routinely sells out and is already longer than the platforms.

----

I have to make an analogy here. Ocean liners are obsolete, right? Yeah? Well, there's still one market where an ocean liner plies the waves: London to New York. London is apparently an especially strong market of wealthy people who really prefer to travel by sea rather than air, and will spend huge premiums in time and money to do so. (New York less so, but it's the favored destination of the Londoners.) Although they sell a lot of cruises, the actual one-way travel market out of London remains large enough that Cunard still cater to it. (There are a bunch of specific decisions which indicate that this market originates in London, not New York.)

Will sleeping cars remain a niche market? Sure, but they're a much bigger niche than ocean liners. Where is that niche? Out of New York, going into New York, and to a lesser extent Chicago/Boston/Philadelphia/DC. Anything which is one night and less than a day out of New York is on fairly solid footing, as long as driving isn't too much faster.

I've made some effort to figure out where the cutoff is for viable (popular-enough) sleeper service. If you go strictly commercially, it looks at the moment as if New York-Florida and New York-Chicago routes are profitable, period. (New York is special.) If you stretch a point and consider connecting revenue, DC-Chicago might be. If you believe that the market for sleepers is improving (as I do), you may also see future decent markets in NY-Atlanta-New Orleans, Chicago-New Orleans, Chicago-Texas, Chicago-Denver, Chicago-Minneapolis, and perhaps some other places east of the Mississippi.

You won't find commercially viable markets across the Rockies or the desert. They'll have to be justified for other reasons (the Empire Builder by serving small towns more cheaply than air or highway service, for example).

----

Oh. And having a car in New York isn't an amenity, it's a nightmare. You have to be crazy to drive a car in Manhattan. (This is a known thing, it's not just me saying it.) Yes, this is a real reason why people will preferentially fly or take the train rather than driving to New York, I've heard it repeatedly from many people. (Boston has a similar "don't drive there if you can possibly avoid it" reputation, but not as extreme.)
1. What percentage of the market is "will not fly" AND "will travel frequently by train for trips longer than 12, or 18, or 24, or 36 hours" AND will be willing to pay fares large enough to cover Amtrak's costs in transporting them? That's the market size. Not everyone who whines about flying in a poll.

In my experience (I both take trains a lot and fly a lot) there's a ton of people on planes who hate flying. The airlines are making record profits. That's why I am cynical about statements that there's this huge trove of money being made putting the people who hate flying onto trains.

2. I am sure there's a small number of business people who are willing to take a 7pm to 9am train. But that's just 100 times less useful to the general market than a train that gets in earlier and leaves later. It's not that if you go from 9 to 7 to 7 to 9 demand shrinks to zero. Rather, every increment of time in which you leave earlier and get in later cuts the demand and cuts the market. And the problem is, the market is precarious to begin with. Airlines offer a reliable product that can get you to your destination in a couple of hours (or maybe 3 if you count the travel to the airport and the security headaches). If Amtrak wants to compete with that, it has to be (1) super-reliable, so you never miss that business meeting and (2) super-convenient, so you don't get in too late or leave too early. On the Northeast Corridor, you have that (and I think I said above, I'd put the sleepers back on the NE Corridor late night trains post-haste if I ran Amtrak). But the route has to fall right into the sweet spot (and the commuters and freight RR's have to cooperate with Amtrak to do it).

3. The problem with longer trips is that nobody with real business time pressures is going to take it. So once you get past the overnight, there's almost no business travelers on the route. That actually has a second negative implication, because business travelers are willing to pay higher fares. So now, we've lost a large market and we also have to charge lower fares. (Indeed, I think the coach fares on the LSL reflect this-- compare them to the fares paid on the Northeast Corridor, a business market.) Now, are there still some people who want to take an 18 hour or 24 hour train trip? Not that many.

You seem to think that there are a ton of people driving the interstates who want to do this. But I've already pointed out, driving is much cheaper. You still haven't responded to my LA-Las Vegas example. There's a reason-- there is no answer. Which is one reason there isn't a Desert Wind anymore. Amtrak cannot price its product to be competitive with driving on a 300 mile route. It simply can't. Driving is really cheap.

Now, your big response is to say that on certain trips, driving is a hinderance because you have to do something with the car. But guess what-- on those trips, PEOPLE AREN'T DRIVING. That's right, they are FLYING. Or taking the bus. And what did I tell you before-- Amtrak's big competitors are people who are flying or taking the bus.

Indeed, there's another issue with driving which I didn't get into, which is a lot of people drive places because they aren't going to the central city. They are going to the suburbs. An airline and a rental car competes with that somewhat well; Amtrak puts you in the center of the city where it's less convenient to rent a car, or at the suburbs where there's no car rental facility. This isn't bashing on train travel by the way-- it's just pointing out that it's a delusion to try and get people who DRIVE to take the train. You need to get people who ride the bus to do it, by being cheap, or get people who take planes to do it, by being reliable and fast and convenient. Those are the two markets. Anyone who wants to drive their car long distance is a lost cause.

4. I really hate railfans' arguments about how long distance trains are "really" profitable. If they were really profitable, there would have never been an Amtrak. Or a Via Rail for that matter. It isn't as though Penn Central went bankrupt but there was this other railroad that made all sorts of money on their passenger trains with their superior business model. The invention of the jet airliner happened; the interstates happened; and passenger trains became inferior for long distance travel for most people.

I know some people in the newspaper business who are the same way. They are convinced that if the newspapers would just adopt some different business model, they wouldn't have to lose their job. Few people in that field admit that craigslist killed the newspaper. But it did.

So we start right there-- we have a service that was so "profitable" that it destroyed or almost destroyed some of the largest corporations on the planet. THAT FACT ALONE PROVES THAT LONG DISTANCE TRAINS ARE NOT PROFITABLE. The fact that some idiots on the Internet can go through Amtrak's financials with a fine toothed comb and come up with some strange form of accounting that makes the trains profitable may be a fun parlor exercise, but believe me, if there was a way to make money selling long distance sleeper service to America, the railroads would have figured that out. They actually tried, HARD. Their products in the 1950's were ridiculously good. They still got their butts kicked.

But it's worse than that with sleepers. Because we also have a history with that. And those same private corporations, when attempting to sell their services at the lowest loss possible, ELIMINATED as many sleeper and diner cars as possible. You had coaches and cafe cars and automats. Again, these were not idiots. I assure you that the people working in the accounting department of Southern Pacific in the late 1960's knew 10 times more about the business of railroads than any railfan on the Internet who has gone through Amtrak's financials. And what did they cut? Diners and sleepers. Why? Because they carried fewer passengers, sold their product at a huge loss, and required more labor.

So we actually know that sleepers and diners are not profitable. We know that WHATEVER someone going through Amtrak's reports looking for creative interpretations of the numbers says about them. We know that because if the sleepers were the profitable parts of train service, we would have seen railroads go to all-Pullman trains and cut coaches as they tried to curb losses in the 1960's. Instead, they did the opposite.

We also know that because there's another train service in North America, and it charges sleepers at cost. Via Rail's sleeping cars are more expensive than Amtrak. It costs as much to get an open section on Via as it does a private room on Amtrak. Why is that? Because Via tries to recover the full costs of running its sleeping and dining cars.

And then, on top of all that, we have Amtrak's own numbers, which show that lines on the Northeast Corridor, without sleepers, break even or make operating profits, while no train with a sleeping and dining car comes close and the more time people spend on sleepers, the bigger the losses are.

So yeah, sleeping cars are underpriced.

5. Free meals are not a sideshow. Airlines charge a ton of money for first class. Then they give you free meals (and on international flights, lounges, amenity packs, etc.). That's a sensible business model.

Via charges a ton of money for sleepers. Again, it's a sensible business model to give free meals to those passengers.

But Amtrak charges much less than cost for people in sleeping cars. So why are they getting free meals? Or Guest Reward points, for that matter? Amtrak is rewarding passengers who cause them to lose money by losing additional money on them.

Amtrak does lose a ton of money on dining cars. That's not denied by anyone with familiarity with the business. Railfans like dining cars, but it turns out it is incredibly expensive to run the sort of supply chain necessary to do this. They really should change their policy. (And again, if dining cars were profitable, Southern Pacific wouldn't have foisted on the traveling public the "automat car" in the 1960's.)

6. I agree with you on on-time performance. And if I could wave my magic wand, I would whip every single freight railroad into line so that Amtrak could run on a dependable schedule. We have decided as a society that these trains are important, and I also think that if someone boarding an Amtrak train knew that if the schedule says he or she will arrive at 1:25 p.m. that means that he or she will arrive at 1:25 p.m., that would help a ton in getting people to try the train and to keep coming back to it.

I don't think that solves the basic problem with trips over 12 hours or so for most people, but it helps on the margins even on longer trips and it helps A TON on shorter trips.

7. Ocean liners are actually a bad analogy for you. There's one line-- the Queen Mary 2-- which runs a scheduled service; I know people who have ridden it and it is basically a cruise ship (despite the scheduled service moniker); it's extremely expensive; it actually runs a lot slower than the ocean liners did in the past because people don't use it as serious transportation; most people who take it don't take it round-trip, and Cunard offers airline travel packages with it; and one of the reasons the QM2 supplanted the QE2 is actually because the scheduled service is something of a loss leader for Cunard, and the boat makes most of its money on cruises in warm weather climates, which it does half the year during which the North Atlantic is full of ice.

That's not an argument for a national network of trains. That's an argument for some sort of heritage luxury liner train service a la the American Orient Express which charges a lot of money and offers a luxury land cruise with little regard for speedy transport.

Look, in the end, I do want to see trains. I'm not like the other poster here who is bagging on the Essential Air Service requirement. I've ridden the Sunset Limited and the Coast Starlight and the Crescent and the Southwest Chief, and all of them are full of people getting on and off in the intermediate towns, who ride coach and who I am sure are very grateful to have a train come through their town periodically that offers them a connection to the cities. There's no reason we shouldn't have that.

But if we are talking about SLEEPERS, and we are talking about the general public-- not railfans-- I just think the opportunities are very limited, because you need to get business travelers who would be willing to pay a fare high enough for Amtrak to make a profit, and the system as currently set up is tilted hard against Amtrak being able to offer the sort of reliable service they want. I wish it were not so, but I think it is.

We subsidize roads, not driving.

Think of drivers as private operators. The pay their own "rolling stock" (cars), "on-board staff" (themselves), fuel and insurance costs and by definition break even.

The roads are publically-owned and partially paid for by gas taxes. I'm fine raising the gas tax or charging tolls to make up the difference. That's increasingly the trend anyways. Here in the DC area, I can't think of any new highway that isn't being tolled. (ICC, HO/T lanes on the Beltway and 395/95, and proposed HO/T on 270 and I-66 inside the Beltway).

Amtrak can't break even "above the rails" even on the routes where it doesn't have capital costs, that is the freight lines.

Driving is really cheap.
Because we subsidize the everloving daylight of driving. Put the full cost of driving onto those who drive, and see what it really costs (and see what it does to the cost of goods sold that are delivered by truck).

It seems like this thread has gotten significantly off topic and discussions have become arguments. It will be locked for a while (subject to review by admins).

Ok, we've decided to reopen the thread. I'd just like to remind everyone here to try not to let debate devolve into arguments (I know the line can be thin at times) and not to snipe at one another.

I believe there is a market for intermediate destination sleepers as was done extensively in the days of the Pullman Co. This is much more difficult today for a number of reasons: lack of intermediate servicing/storage locations (eg. Atlanta), the lack of available switch crews, and the excruciatingly long time Amtrak takes to perform simple switching chores using road power.

However, it can still be done, as demonstrated in Denver, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Spokane, and Albany. This seems to me to be a cost effective way to maximize the high dollar sleeper revenue and improve sleeper utilization (in some cases this might mean going from 2 to 1 sleeper on part of the route, on others might mean additional sleeper miles). What are the locations that it would make sense for Amtrak to do this?

A few possibilities include New York to Jax on the Meteor (space also used for passengers destined Charleston/Savannah); New York to Birmingham, Boston to Richmond; LA to Houston; Seattle to Whitefish (seasonal); Chicago to Fort Worth; Seattle to Emeryville. In most cases the car and attendant could turn back the same day. While I'm sure many can find reasons why this can't/shouldn't be done Amtrak does need to do more imaginative in the best use of their multi million dollar car fleet.

And IMHO focusing on where Sleepers may prove to be attractive rather than a general philosophical discussion about funding LD trains may be in order too.
Well, the main thing I was trying to get across to Guest_Lawdude was that the East is not the West. The reason I wasn't responding to the LA-Las Vegas example is that I agree that that route is no good.

In fact, I don't believe there are any genuinely good routes for sleepers west of Denver.

I'm guessing Lawdude is from California and is generalizing from his experience there. This is an incorrect generalization. It's really, genuinely different east of the Mississippi; the market for sleepers is a lot better. The geographic distribution of population is wildly different, among other things.

----

As for the accounting, I know what I'm doing, and I'm using Amtrak's numbers. "Fully allocated" accounting means that routes are loaded with costs which are completely invariant to route operation; it's a chimera, an illusion, a fraud, not something which you should ever make business decisions based on. Not quite as bad as "Milwaukee Road" accounting, but nearly as useless. You can tell how useless it is because "special trains" frequently get allocated enough overhead to appear "unprofitable" using "fully allocated" accounting; but "special trains" are *only* run when they are profitable.

Occasionally (not nearly often enough) Amtrak comes out with a separate accounting of direct costs and allocated overhead, and I've grabbed all the data I can get from that. The direct-costs accounting shows that the Florida trains are profitable, the LSL is profitable most years, the western long-distance trains are not profitable, and yes, the NEC is extremely profitable. (As for the state-supported trains, God only knows; I've never seen enough data to tell for most of the individual routes, though Lynchburg is so profitable that it exceeds the allocated overhead.) It's harder to sort out sleeper vs. coach, but all the available evidence points to expansion of Eastern sleeping car service being a sound investment on a purely financial basis... the Western sleeping cars, probably not.

The overhead at Amtrak is frankly enormous ($1.5 billion/year), but then so's the overhead of operating the roads (the cost of every single police officer and car on highway patrol duty in the US, the cost of having road maintenance depots in every county), and the overhead of operating the airlines (ATC, airports, airport weather stations, etc.). The government pays for all of that out of general taxation, and it should pay for Amtrak's overhead as well. (In fact, the government pays less to Amtrak per year than Amtrak's overhead bill.) The fact that *any* Amtrak operation contributes to overhead is extraordinary, since road users don't even cover their variable costs, and never contribute a dime to cover overhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three things:
(1) The overhead mess is...well, a mess. $1.5bn being assigned to overhead includes some things that should probably be broken out further and some things which are unavoidable. For example, is Sunnyside included in overhead? What about NEC maintenance? There's a probable misallocation discussed in the past (you can probably allocate some costs pretty clearly and fairly, but you can't necessarily split it all up) and it is quite plausible that LD trains are being unfairly saddled with a bunch of costs off of the NEC even though some of those trains don't come within 500 miles of it.

(2) The Virginia situation is complicated. Basically, VA's negotiators were (to my understanding) one step ahead of Amtrak when they started up the Lynchburger and the state got phenomenally lucky (IIRC the train either never even touched the startup grant or only briefly did so in the first few months before becoming massively profitable by the second year).

(3) There are isolated cases of drivers covering quite a bit of overhead, but they're admittedly localized. The Pennsylvania Turnpike comes to mind here. That said, these cases are relatively few, far between, and often focused on some chokepoint in a system (where alternatives to such a chokepoint are viable, we've seen an impressive number of project meltdowns).

"In fact, I don't believe there are any genuinely good routes for sleepers west of Denver."

Well, neroden, that's a broad statement. I didn't catch what your criteria for judgement are, but I sure hope your outlook isn't widespread. Without sleepers, almost no route west of Denver would be bearable. I certainly wouldn't have convinced my family to take the CZ to Calfornia and connect with the CS northbound to Vancouver last Spring if I couldn't offer them cozy sleepers to rest the night away in peace. Western intercity routes are so long that few of them can be done within waking hours. And offering enough sleepers at a reasonable fare seems much less costly than rebuilding trains and tracks to HSR standards, doesn't it?

If I lived in the East, amid dozens of destination cities located five to ten hours away, maybe I too would be calling for speed and more of it. But out here, the lay of the land leads to a different conclusion, pardner.

A sizeable fraction has been taking the Chicago-West trains in coach the whole way since they were first inaugurated and that has continued up to the present day. Furthermore, sleepers appeal neither to the time-sensitive nor to the price-sensitive passenger; the East coast gets the marginal results it does from having a sufficiently large population base and consistently dense urbanization that you can find sufficient outliers. High speed rail, on the other hand, appeals to time-sensitive and can be run as a profitable enterprise appealing to the price-sensitive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back