Will Americans ever take sleepers again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The west, particularly the interior west, will always suffer from low population density. This is an issue in any large country...take Russia...while there is the famous Trans-Siberian railway, you can bet your bottom dollar that their domestic airline industry has soaked up a ton of passengers who in years past would have taken the train.

Obviously there will always be a certain segment of the population willing to take sleeper trains. However, most of the population isn't comprised of railfans, and trying to convince them to take a sleeper which is slower than a plane, and smaller than a hotel room, (yet hardly cheaper usually) is a very tall order.

I'm sure there are city pairs where it could work. For example, take the Coast Starlight, but change the LA departure to something like 8 PM...include a pickup stop in the northern LA suburbs (Burbank?) and then run the train until it hits the Bay Area about 11 hours later. The current 10 AM depature from LA is never going to beat the airlines for many travelers. But if you structure a mid-evening departure from LA and give arrivals in the Bay Area starting the next morning (about 6 AM for San Jose, and 7-8 AM for Oakland/Emeryville). Offer breakfast on the train beginning with the people getting off at San Jose, and then move to give it to the Oakland/Emeryville passengers so that there's no wasted time when they get off the train. That's how CityNightLine in Germany ran the Munich to Venice route (limited stops on both ends, simple breakfast provided in the compartments).

So what's the current vacancy-vs.-take rate for Amtrak sleepers? Someone must know that statistic. On the two overnight trains I rode last year, I saw no obvious vacancies. If today's sleeper fleet is booked at a rate over 75%, that's the best evidence I can imagine that the taste for sleeper travel isn't dead yet. It's not even smelling funny. ; >

The other issue I see with "off-cast" sleepers, is the sheer lack of intermediate revenue. I really don't know what the best transportation options for your isolated off-coast cities like Denver, Boise, Phoenix, etc are.

Double that with the fact that outside of Denver, I don't think any of these cities really have much of a public transportation network. Nearly every city up the Northeast Corridor has public transit that includes service at the stations, as well as private businesses such as restaurants and cab companies which recognize the train traveler market. Taking the train to Providence and renting a car was no problem; the car rental guy who picked me up said that they're always picking up customers from PVD.

On the other hand, if you dont have a car waiting for you in these interior west cities, you're doomed.

I think it's important to differentiate the sleeper trains between the ones where scenery, service, and food are the big selling point, and the ones where time and location are the big selling points. On the "land cruise" (food, scenery and service) routes, you probably have a significant market segment who's more interested in the train ride itself, so maybe re-market the service as just that: a tourism line and such.

But to get your middle-upper class traveler into a sleeper, you have to give him or her something which is either time or cost competitive to flying+hotel+car. There really aren't many routes which seem to provide that.

Why not just run west coast sleepers and east-of-mississippi sleepers and give airline connections between the regions?

I'm sure there are city pairs where it could work. For example, take the Coast Starlight, but change the LA departure to something like 8 PM...include a pickup stop in the northern LA suburbs (Burbank?) and then run the train until it hits the Bay Area about 11 hours later. The current 10 AM depature from LA is never going to beat the airlines for many travelers. But if you structure a mid-evening departure from LA and give arrivals in the Bay Area starting the next morning (about 6 AM for San Jose, and 7-8 AM for Oakland/Emeryville). Offer breakfast on the train beginning with the people getting off at San Jose, and then move to give it to the Oakland/Emeryville passengers so that there's no wasted time when they get off the train. That's how CityNightLine in Germany ran the Munich to Venice route (limited stops on both ends, simple breakfast provided in the compartments).
You won't have enough revenue to be worthwhile. Sleeper revenue is like the cherry on top; nice to have, but you're going to have a sad and pathetic time if all you have is the cherry.

It's worth noting that the Daylight, on a 9.75 hour schedule (and just why the heck is CA wanting to bring it back on a 12 hour schedule?) had higher revenue than the overnight Lark.

So what's the current vacancy-vs.-take rate for Amtrak sleepers? Someone must know that statistic. On the two overnight trains I rode last year, I saw no obvious vacancies. If today's sleeper fleet is booked at a rate over 75%, that's the best evidence I can imagine that the taste for sleeper travel isn't dead yet. It's not even smelling funny. ; >
I don't think anyone outside of Amtrak knows what it is on a seat-mile basis; from my own reckonings from Amtrak's data there's about one sleeper passenger for every two sleeper seat-days (for example, on average one person in a roomette).

@ Paulus

Thank you for the clarification. My itinerary was based on the assumption that there would be enough daily overnight passengers running from LA to the Bay Area to justify a train with no intermediate stops. From the way you describe it, the financial strength of the Coastal Starlight is with coach passengers, including a significant amount who board and alight at intermediate stations.

But it looks like airlines totally own the LA-Bay area route. Using Google Flights and Southwest's website as research tools, it looks like you can get round-trip airfare between LAX and SFO for $145, with about 1.5 hours flight time, with the earliest arrivals coming in at about 7:30 AM. Same goes with San Jose. I can't see rail competing with that.

@ Paulus

Thank you for the clarification. My itinerary was based on the assumption that there would be enough daily overnight passengers running from LA to the Bay Area to justify a train with no intermediate stops. From the way you describe it, the financial strength of the Coastal Starlight is with coach passengers, including a significant amount who board and alight at intermediate stations.

But it looks like airlines totally own the LA-Bay area route. Using Google Flights and Southwest's website as research tools, it looks like you can get round-trip airfare between LAX and SFO for $145, with about 1.5 hours flight time, with the earliest arrivals coming in at about 7:30 AM. Same goes with San Jose. I can't see rail competing with that.
Realistically, only HSR can compete with airlines on that particular route. Even if a dedicated HSR line is built, the distance between LA-SF is 100 miles more than DC-NYC (the most notable case of a train beating out the airlines). That's a 3-3.5 hour trip, vs. 1-1.5 hours of flight time. Unless the HSR can do a consistent 150MPH+ (it would ideally need to be 200MPH+), I don't see any train being able to beat the airlines as has occurred on the NEC (and even then, only mostly between DC and NYC).

In terms of an overnight sleeper route between LA and SF, the concept of modern business travel by sleeper in the US has never been tried, and it would be difficult to convince businesses to use a train over flying in such situations. It would be an interesting experiment, but everything would have to consistently go right (OTP, operations, etc.) for such a concept to have even a remote shot at succeeding.

@ Paulus

Then why is it so hard to get a sleeper at short notice between LAUS & Portland? Monday there is one bedroom left, no roomettes. SOMEBODY is taking sleepers, no matter what the opinion of some guests here might be!

Last edited by a moderator:
About 8 million passengers per year, averaging about $145, but also another 8 million driving. Potentially a <10 hour Daylight could get a decent amount of patronage from the driving market to be worthwhile.

Realistically, only HSR can compete with airlines on that particular route. Even if a dedicated HSR line is built, the distance between LA-SF is 100 miles more than DC-NYC (the most notable case of a train beating out the airlines). That's a 3-3.5 hour trip, vs. 1-1.5 hours of flight time. Unless the HSR can do a consistent 150MPH+ (it would ideally need to be 200MPH+), I don't see any train being able to beat the airlines as has occurred on the NEC (and even then, only mostly between DC and NYC).
It's being built for a travel time of 2:40 (though most trains will likely be about 3 hours) with an average speed just shy of 170mph and a top speed of 220mph. For comparison, it's actually about the same travel times as Acela NYP-WAS for air and train.

Then why is it so hard to get a sleeper at short notice between LAUS & Portland? Monday there is one bedroom left, no roomettes. SOMEBODY is taking sleepers, no matter what the opinion of some guests here might be!
Because people taking it to or from intermediate points blocks it out for you. Let's say someone reserves a roomette from Sacramento to Eugene. It will be unavailable for anyone wanting to go from Los Angeles to Portland and unless they can find someone who wants a roomette no further north than Sacramento (or possibly earlier depending on how quickly they can turn the room), it will have to travel empty to Sacramento.

About 8 million passengers per year, averaging about $145, but also another 8 million driving. Potentially a <10 hour Daylight could get a decent amount of patronage from the driving market to be worthwhile.
It's being built for a travel time of 2:40 (though most trains will likely be about 3 hours) with an average speed just shy of 170mph and a top speed of 220mph. For comparison, it's actually about the same travel times as Acela NYP-WAS for air and train.
Because people taking it to or from intermediate points blocks it out for you. Let's say someone reserves a roomette from Sacramento to Eugene. It will be unavailable for anyone wanting to go from Los Angeles to Portland and unless they can find someone who wants a roomette no further north than Sacramento (or possibly earlier depending on how quickly they can turn the room), it will have to travel empty to Sacramento.
So..........SOMEBODY is taking sleepers!

Thank you for validating my comment!

"In fact, I don't believe there are any genuinely good routes for sleepers west of Denver."

Well, neroden, that's a broad statement. I didn't catch what your criteria for judgement are, but I sure hope your outlook isn't widespread.
Perhaps "genuinely good" is a vague and inaccurate phrase. What I meant was *commercially* solid, or financially promising. I agree that there are other reasonable criteria which one can use to judge routes.
I believe that routes west of Denver are going to require operational subsidies for the forseeable future, and that expansion of service would require enlarged subsidies. I think that there's a fairly low ridership demand level for any given ticket prices. It is probably a good idea for governments to support them -- heck, I take them, and I'd miss them if they were gone.

By contrast, I believe that there are a number of routes *east* of Denver where improved & expanded sleeper service would pay for itself over a reasonable number of years. There seems to be a much higher ridership demand level for any given ticket price. There are simply a lot more markets; extend any "corridor" route a little bit and you start finding lots of city pairs which are single-overnight sleeper markets. The vast empty spaces in the west mean that this doesn't happen there; extend a corridor route a few more hours and you're often in the middle of nowhere.

Given the continued difficulty getting government funding, I think expansion of these promising eastern routes should be prioritized over the western routes. Does that make my view clear?

However, *historically*, Amtrak has repeatedly slashed promising eastern routes while retaining expensive-to-operate western routes. The losses of the Silver Palm, Three Rivers, Toledo-Detroit train, and daily Cardinal service come to mind immediately, and the eastern end of the Sunset Limited may qualify as well; while the elimination of upstate NY - Chicago service on A-Day is the most extreme example of this sort of dumb mentality. I'm worried that this sort of poor decision will happen again.

Without sleepers, almost no route west of Denver would be bearable. I certainly wouldn't have convinced my family to take the CZ to Calfornia and connect with the CS northbound to Vancouver last Spring if I couldn't offer them cozy sleepers to rest the night away in peace. Western intercity routes are so long that few of them can be done within waking hours. And offering enough sleepers at a reasonable fare seems much less costly than rebuilding trains and tracks to HSR standards, doesn't it?
Well, no, that's the thing, I don't think it is "much less costly". I guess it depends what you mean by "HSR standards"; sure, 220 mph is extremely expensive (justified for SF-LA due to the nature of that route, though). Rebuilding and maintaining tracks for 90 mph or 110 mph, however, looks like it costs a lot, but there is a resulting boost in ridership, boost in revenues, and reduction in operating costs (the employees are working fewer hours per train-mile), which ends up paying for it, if you've prioritized correctly. (Examples of "not prioritizing correctly" include Illinois, which has 110 mph running in the middle of the Chicago-St. Louis line, but with tortuously slow running on either end.)

If I lived in the East, amid dozens of destination cities located five to ten hours away, maybe I too would be calling for speed and more of it. But out here, the lay of the land leads to a different conclusion, pardner.
It is very different in the east and in the west. We agree on that!

the East coast gets the marginal results it does from having a sufficiently large population base and consistently dense urbanization that you can find sufficient outliers.
This is pretty much my point, though I think there are so many that, statistically, they can't be called outliers any more. (My mom taught statistics. Outlier is a technical term.) "A sufficiently large minority group". (Or, to use the statistical term, "a sufficiently large cluster".)
The point was also made that a few city pairs lie in the sweet spot for sleepers so that they could appeal to time-sensitive people (if the trains run on time). However, this is largely a lucky accident. In the East, there are so many sizeable cities that you bump into a few of these city pairs when designing a route. In the West, it's almost impossible to design a route to have even *one* such city pair. This is a very similar phenomenon: "a sufficiently large minority".

Obviously there will always be a certain segment of the population willing to take sleeper trains. However, most of the population isn't comprised of railfans, and trying to convince them to take a sleeper which is slower than a plane, and smaller than a hotel room, (yet hardly cheaper usually) is a very tall order.

I'm sure there are city pairs where it could work. For example, take the Coast Starlight....
My entire point which I keep banging on about repeatedly is that it's relatively easy to find these city pairs in the east, and very hard to find them in the west. So please don't take the Coast Starlight as an example; for an example, please take the Lake Shore Limited, the Crescent, the Silver Star, or even the Cardinal! :)

I think it's important to differentiate the sleeper trains between the ones where scenery, service, and food are the big selling point, and the ones where time and location are the big selling points. On the "land cruise" (food, scenery and service) routes, you probably have a significant market segment who's more interested in the train ride itself, so maybe re-market the service as just that: a tourism line and such.
And on this note, you read people raving about the scenery on all four of the transcons, and the Coast Starlight, and sometimes the Cardinal. You don't hear much about the scenery on the Lake Shore Limited; sometimes about the Hudson River, but I think I'm the only one who likes the scenery in Gary, Indiana. :) And you almost never hear people talking about the scenery on Silver Service, Crescent, CONO, Texas Eagle, Auto Train (which runs almost entirely at night), or the Capitol Limited (ditto).
It's probably not a coincidence that the trains with big "scenery" business are more seasonal than the ones without it. It's *certainly* not a coincidence that they do worse financially.

Three things:

(1) The overhead mess is...well, a mess. $1.5bn being assigned to overhead includes some things that should probably be broken out further and some things which are unavoidable. For example, is Sunnyside included in overhead? What about NEC maintenance? There's a probable misallocation discussed in the past (you can probably allocate some costs pretty clearly and fairly, but you can't necessarily split it all up) and it is quite plausible that LD trains are being unfairly saddled with a bunch of costs off of the NEC even though some of those trains don't come within 500 miles of it.
The single largest item I've noted in the overhead which I think shouldn't be allocated is "IT" (information technology, aka computing) costs. This is a huge amount of money. I do not believe for one moment that Amtrak's allocation makes any sense.
Almost all of the computer stuff is essentially centralized; there is probably no really sound way to allocate it among business lines.

So what's the current vacancy-vs.-take rate for Amtrak sleepers? Someone must know that statistic. On the two overnight trains I rode last year, I saw no obvious vacancies.
Only Amtrak knows for sure. Some things we *do* know:
It varies a *lot* by train and by season. In June, everything is full. In February... not.

I've taken a lot of February trips for various reasons. The Lake Shore Limited sleepers are *still* full or nearly full, pretty consistently. The CZ, EB, SWC, CS were not; they were half-empty. (This was when Amtrak ran the same number of cars all year round. Amtrak is now adjusting train length in the winter, which makes sense.)

Paulus is correct that a lot of people book roomettes for single occupancy. This seems to be a deliberate choice by the not-price-sensitive. From a financial point of view, this is great for Amtrak -- they pay the same amount as double occupancy, but eat fewer meals.

the concept of modern business travel by sleeper in the US has never been tried, and it would be difficult to convince businesses to use a train over flying in such situations.
From what I've read, it is indeed pretty hard to convince businesses to let *employees* use trains even in coach. Small business *owners* are another matter; they can choose to travel however they like, and I've met quite a few on trains, often preferentially taking sleepers. Sadly, big business is bigger than small business these days.

the concept of modern business travel by sleeper in the US has never been tried, and it would be difficult to convince businesses to use a train over flying in such situations.
From what I've read, it is indeed pretty hard to convince businesses to let *employees* use trains even in coach. Small business *owners* are another matter; they can choose to travel however they like, and I've met quite a few on trains, often preferentially taking sleepers. Sadly, big business is bigger than small business these days.
In the last 20 years of my working days I would have loved to take the train. I drove and flew for several major reasons.

There weren't any trains where I went (sometimes three times a week between Columbus Cleveland and Cincinnati). Driving was the only way I could go. Add to that if there had been a train between those cities I had to be in many different small towns surrounding those cities and have to have a car anyway.

When my travels took me longer distances (the last year before I retired I traveled from Lexington KY to Texas five weeks out of six).

Had to fly - no trains. And, the sad part to all this was I was in a business and situation where I could have taken the train if it was available. In all my 40+ years of working I only ever took the train once. We were in Philadelphia and needed to go to Baltimore. Took the train and it was great.

Railroads in America, save the East Coast simply isn't set up to take the train for business.

And IMHO focusing on where Sleepers may prove to be attractive rather than a general philosophical discussion about funding LD trains may be in order too.
Well, the main thing I was trying to get across to Guest_Lawdude was that the East is not the West. The reason I wasn't responding to the LA-Las Vegas example is that I agree that that route is no good.

In fact, I don't believe there are any genuinely good routes for sleepers west of Denver.

I'm guessing Lawdude is from California and is generalizing from his experience there. This is an incorrect generalization. It's really, genuinely different east of the Mississippi; the market for sleepers is a lot better. The geographic distribution of population is wildly different, among other things.

----

As for the accounting, I know what I'm doing, and I'm using Amtrak's numbers. "Fully allocated" accounting means that routes are loaded with costs which are completely invariant to route operation; it's a chimera, an illusion, a fraud, not something which you should ever make business decisions based on. Not quite as bad as "Milwaukee Road" accounting, but nearly as useless. You can tell how useless it is because "special trains" frequently get allocated enough overhead to appear "unprofitable" using "fully allocated" accounting; but "special trains" are *only* run when they are profitable.

Occasionally (not nearly often enough) Amtrak comes out with a separate accounting of direct costs and allocated overhead, and I've grabbed all the data I can get from that. The direct-costs accounting shows that the Florida trains are profitable, the LSL is profitable most years, the western long-distance trains are not profitable, and yes, the NEC is extremely profitable. (As for the state-supported trains, God only knows; I've never seen enough data to tell for most of the individual routes, though Lynchburg is so profitable that it exceeds the allocated overhead.) It's harder to sort out sleeper vs. coach, but all the available evidence points to expansion of Eastern sleeping car service being a sound investment on a purely financial basis... the Western sleeping cars, probably not.

The overhead at Amtrak is frankly enormous ($1.5 billion/year), but then so's the overhead of operating the roads (the cost of every single police officer and car on highway patrol duty in the US, the cost of having road maintenance depots in every county), and the overhead of operating the airlines (ATC, airports, airport weather stations, etc.). The government pays for all of that out of general taxation, and it should pay for Amtrak's overhead as well. (In fact, the government pays less to Amtrak per year than Amtrak's overhead bill.) The fact that *any* Amtrak operation contributes to overhead is extraordinary, since road users don't even cover their variable costs, and never contribute a dime to cover overhead.
One thing

You won't have enough revenue to be worthwhile. Sleeper revenue is like the cherry on top; nice to have, but you're going to have a sad and pathetic time if all you have is the cherry.

It's worth noting that the Daylight, on a 9.75 hour schedule (and just why the heck is CA wanting to bring it back on a 12 hour schedule?) had higher revenue than the overnight Lark.

I don't think anyone outside of Amtrak knows what it is on a seat-mile basis; from my own reckonings from Amtrak's data there's about one sleeper passenger for every two sleeper seat-days (for example, on average one person in a roomette).
Remember that when the Daylight was in its heyday, both flying and driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco were far more difficult and less popular than they are now, making a day train more attractive than it is now.

In terms of flying:

PSA and United and Western obviously existed, but the flights weren't nearly as frequent, and they took half an hour longer than they do now in piston-driven aircraft. Further, there were far more people who were afraid to fly back then (and I mean by my strict definition-- you are only AFRAID to fly for purposes of train competition if you are actually so irrationally freaked out by being up in the air that you will take a train at substantial inconvenience to avoid it-- far more people were like that 60 years ago than now). And finally, most importantly, flying was a lot more expensive. I have tickets of PSA flights my parents, who had some money, took in the 1950's. They were paying $115 roundtrip to fly to San Francisco. That's over a thousand bucks adjusted for inflation.

In terms of driving:

Interstate 5 wasn't completed until the early 1970's, and Highways 99 and 101 were not completed to expressway standards all the way between US and the Bay Area until the 1980's. Even now some parts of both roads are not constructed as freeways. So if you drove, you were going to drive through towns, with stoplights and all the related inconveniences. The last stoplight on Highway 99 (in Livingston, CA) and the last stoplights on 101 (in Santa Barbara, CA) came down after 1990.

So there was probably a pretty big market for daytime travelers in the 1940's and 1950's on the Daylight. Meanwhile, there was probably somewhat less business travel between LA and San Francisco because the market grew, and the Lark's fare was higher.

Bear in mind, despite all of that, both trains bled money in the 1960's and sent Southern Pacific reeling towards insolvency, with the Daylight being stripped down to a couple of coaches and an automat and the Lark being eliminated from service. And this is why I say people on the Internet, no matter how smart they say they are at reading financial statements, are almost certainly wrong, and Amtrak is almost certainly right, that there is no big shadowy black helicopter conspiracy to misallocate overhead costs. Southern Pacific's accountants presumably had every incentive to properly allocate their costs, and THEIR SLEEPERS AND DINERS (which are related to sleepers), lost a ton of money, much more than their coach service did.

Finally, I don't think sleeper travel is "dead". It's obviously alive. It just loses a ton of money and wouldn't exist without a big government subsidy (bigger per passenger than coach would require), because of its huge costs and a customer base with fixed incomes (read: mostly old railfans).

The question is whether there's some market besides old railfans who will take a sleeper and will actually pay the FULL cost of the service, including the grossly increased per passenger labor costs and the logisitical costs of the diner supply chain. And I think there probably is-- but only on routes where you can get the sleepers to run to the hours of business travelers, who can pay a lot more for tickets than fixed income railfans can.

"In fact, I don't believe there are any genuinely good routes for sleepers west of Denver."

Well, neroden, that's a broad statement. I didn't catch what your criteria for judgement are, but I sure hope your outlook isn't widespread.
Perhaps "genuinely good" is a vague and inaccurate phrase. What I meant was *commercially* solid, or financially promising. I agree that there are other reasonable criteria which one can use to judge routes.
I believe that routes west of Denver are going to require operational subsidies for the forseeable future, and that expansion of service would require enlarged subsidies. I think that there's a fairly low ridership demand level for any given ticket prices. It is probably a good idea for governments to support them -- heck, I take them, and I'd miss them if they were gone.

By contrast, I believe that there are a number of routes *east* of Denver where improved & expanded sleeper service would pay for itself over a reasonable number of years. There seems to be a much higher ridership demand level for any given ticket price. There are simply a lot more markets; extend any "corridor" route a little bit and you start finding lots of city pairs which are single-overnight sleeper markets. The vast empty spaces in the west mean that this doesn't happen there; extend a corridor route a few more hours and you're often in the middle of nowhere.

Given the continued difficulty getting government funding, I think expansion of these promising eastern routes should be prioritized over the western routes. Does that make my view clear?

However, *historically*, Amtrak has repeatedly slashed promising eastern routes while retaining expensive-to-operate western routes. The losses of the Silver Palm, Three Rivers, Toledo-Detroit train, and daily Cardinal service come to mind immediately, and the eastern end of the Sunset Limited may qualify as well; while the elimination of upstate NY - Chicago service on A-Day is the most extreme example of this sort of dumb mentality. I'm worried that this sort of poor decision will happen again.

Without sleepers, almost no route west of Denver would be bearable. I certainly wouldn't have convinced my family to take the CZ to Calfornia and connect with the CS northbound to Vancouver last Spring if I couldn't offer them cozy sleepers to rest the night away in peace. Western intercity routes are so long that few of them can be done within waking hours. And offering enough sleepers at a reasonable fare seems much less costly than rebuilding trains and tracks to HSR standards, doesn't it?
Well, no, that's the thing, I don't think it is "much less costly". I guess it depends what you mean by "HSR standards"; sure, 220 mph is extremely expensive (justified for SF-LA due to the nature of that route, though). Rebuilding and maintaining tracks for 90 mph or 110 mph, however, looks like it costs a lot, but there is a resulting boost in ridership, boost in revenues, and reduction in operating costs (the employees are working fewer hours per train-mile), which ends up paying for it, if you've prioritized correctly. (Examples of "not prioritizing correctly" include Illinois, which has 110 mph running in the middle of the Chicago-St. Louis line, but with tortuously slow running on either end.)
If I lived in the East, amid dozens of destination cities located five to ten hours away, maybe I too would be calling for speed and more of it. But out here, the lay of the land leads to a different conclusion, pardner.
It is very different in the east and in the west. We agree on that!
the East coast gets the marginal results it does from having a sufficiently large population base and consistently dense urbanization that you can find sufficient outliers.
This is pretty much my point, though I think there are so many that, statistically, they can't be called outliers any more. (My mom taught statistics. Outlier is a technical term.) "A sufficiently large minority group". (Or, to use the statistical term, "a sufficiently large cluster".)
The point was also made that a few city pairs lie in the sweet spot for sleepers so that they could appeal to time-sensitive people (if the trains run on time). However, this is largely a lucky accident. In the East, there are so many sizeable cities that you bump into a few of these city pairs when designing a route. In the West, it's almost impossible to design a route to have even *one* such city pair. This is a very similar phenomenon: "a sufficiently large minority".

I'm sure there are city pairs where it could work. For example, take the Coast Starlight....
My entire point which I keep banging on about repeatedly is that it's relatively easy to find these city pairs in the east, and very hard to find them in the west. So please don't take the Coast Starlight as an example; for an example, please take the Lake Shore Limited, the Crescent, the Silver Star, or even the Cardinal! :)
And on this note, you read people raving about the scenery on all four of the transcons, and the Coast Starlight, and sometimes the Cardinal. You don't hear much about the scenery on the Lake Shore Limited; sometimes about the Hudson River, but I think I'm the only one who likes the scenery in Gary, Indiana. :) And you almost never hear people talking about the scenery on Silver Service, Crescent, CONO, Texas Eagle, Auto Train (which runs almost entirely at night), or the Capitol Limited (ditto).
It's probably not a coincidence that the trains with big "scenery" business are more seasonal than the ones without it. It's *certainly* not a coincidence that they do worse financially.
By the way, I have no regional bias. If sleeper service makes more sense for eastern trains, I'd love to see Amtrak drop the sleepers and diners from Western trains where they are hugely subsidized (leaving the coach and cafe cars to create a sort of essential air service) and move them to any train where they lose less money. I certainly do agree that by any measurement of Amtrak's finances, the 2 day trains out west lose more than the 1 day trains back east do.

But I do suspect that the reality is that even on the east, you need the train to leave late enough at night and get in early enough in the morning for enough business travelers to come in and pay the high fares necessary to support the sleeper. And that's going to mean that while you may get people to ride the sleepers, you won't be able to charge enough to cover the costs.

And one last thing. Philosophically, I think there's nothing wrong with even massive subsidies on Amtrak for low income travelers who want basic service; Amtrak's subsidy is actually very small, and there would be nothing wrong with increasing it 5 or 10 or 20-fold. But I do have a problem with even one cent of explicit subsidy to sleeping car passengers (i.e., something that goes beyond them getting the benefit of a subsidy that goes to everyone, such as track maintenance). And that has nothing to do with the roads, or the airlines, or any of the arguments that always get brought up on Internet fora. Sleeping car passengers are receiving more than a basic, essential service. They are paying for something they find fun. And I'm all in favor of fun, but I don't think that the compelling case to provide a subsidy so people can travel out of small towns should be used to then redirect money to some person who just wants to pursue a hobby of riding 2 days in a sleeping car and getting free steak dinners. In other words, in an ideal world, every cent of operational subsidy to Amtrak would go to providing as much coach train service as possible to as many places as possible on as reliable a schedule as possible. And then if you can get people to pay for sleeping car service at full cost plus a profit, you do so; if you don't, you don't.

By the way, I have no regional bias. If sleeper service makes more sense for eastern trains, I'd love to see Amtrak drop the sleepers and diners from Western trains where they are hugely subsidized (leaving the coach and cafe cars to create a sort of essential air service) and move them to any train where they lose less money.
Physically, it's unfortunately impossible to move Superliner sleepers or diners onto the routes into New York, thanks to tunnel clearances.
Others have suggested reallocating Superliner sleepers from western trains to the Auto Train -- which would almost certainly be good for Amtrak's bottom line. Or to the Texas Eagle, which has had very good ridership growth and might be quite promising if it can be made slightly less sluggish. Or to the City of New Orleans or Capitol Limited, but the situation on those trains is much less promising; among the eastern trains, those are the ones where ridership and revenue increases are slowest.

I certainly do agree that by any measurement of Amtrak's finances, the 2 day trains out west lose more than the 1 day trains back east do.
Glad we agree on that. :)When I dig through the finances of the 1-day trains in the east, they seem to do comparably well to the coaches, probably better in some cases.

When I dig through the 1-day trains in the east in general, they do OK. They aren't the profit-gushers which the NEC and Lynchburg trains are. But they're comparable financially and in ridership to a bunch of the state-supported services which everyone seems to agree are worthwhile. I cannot get clear numbers with overhead removed for those state-supported trains, and it's even less clear now that they are state-supported.

*With* overhead applied, for 2013 when the Empire Service was federally-funded, the LSL had a lower subsidy per passenger-mile than the NY-Albany Empire Service. And this is the reality: it's the short hauls which require the huge subsidies.

This has *always* been the reality. When the private railroads were discontinuing services at the ICC back in the 1950s, 1960s, and even 1970s (for Southern) they consistently tried to ax the short-haul trips first.

But I do suspect that the reality is that even on the east, you need the train to leave late enough at night and get in early enough in the morning for enough business travelers to come in and pay the high fares necessary to support the sleeper. And that's going to mean that while you may get people to ride the sleepers, you won't be able to charge enough to cover the costs.
That's what you think, but do you have evidence for it?
I believe that, along with the small number of business travellers, there are enough well-to-do leisure travellers (not cruise-takers, but travelling to visit family etc.) to more-than-cover the incremental costs of sleepers in the east. And I have evidence for that. And Amtrak's decision to order new eastern sleeper cars *out of their own budget* indicates that Amtrak's management may agree with me on this.

There's something very different going on in the west. For several years, when I looked, the roomette price from LA to Chicago was typically less than the price from Chicago to *Syracuse NY*. This has corrected itself somewhat, and now LA to Chicago is about twice Chicago to Syracuse -- but still! The LA - Chicago trip is 43 hours, versus 13 hours from Syracuse to Chicago!

This means, if you do the math, that the roomette price per hour is over 1.7 times higher (70% higher) in the east than in the west! This is an *enormous* difference in revenue! Amtrak's costs are related mostly to the number of hours.

And then if you can get people to pay for sleeping car service at full cost plus a profit, you do so; if you don't, you don't.
I assert that at least some of the eastern sleeping car services are charging full cost plus a profit, and that most of them will be able to do so in a few years. The same is not true of the western services.
I've assembled evidence to prove this, but you didn't want to look at it. So just look at one thing: the fares per hour of travel are *70% higher* in the east... this is a massive, massive difference. The employee pay rates are the same!

---

Oh, one last thing.

Amtrak is almost certainly right, that there is no big shadowy black helicopter conspiracy to misallocate overhead costs.
You're missing my point. It's not that they're "misallocated" from one business line to another. It's that they shouldn't be allocated at all. Proper accounting procedure does not "allocate" the cost of Boardman's salary or the central reservations system to individual business lines: they're single, centralized, fixed overhead costs. Allocating them to one group of trains or another, in any way, is simply misleading -- they have to exist if Amtrak runs even one train of any sort.
Unfortunately, Congress has ordered Amtrak to allocate these costs to individual trains, which is stupid and crazy, but there you go, that's Congress for you.

Amtrak's management knows perfectly well that this is stupid and crazy, and that the allocation of centralized fixed costs to individual routes is misleading. That's why Boardman intermittently comes out with presentations like the bar graph which showed the *actual* performance of the so-called "long-distance" trains on a *direct-costs* basis. But Congress has issued bizarre requirements for how to report costs, and Amtrak is stuck with them.

It sounds like Eastern revenues subsidize Western operations, presumably at the expense of capital improvements that could take place in the east.

Why not split Amtrak into Eastern and Western divisions? If everything which is said here is true, the Eastern division could be financially strong, and if able to float bonds, would get better rates without the deadweight of western routes.

And then the Western routes could be restructured to best serve Western needs. Maybe keep the current and forthcoming corridor routes and sell the EB, CZ, SWC brands to private operators who could provide luxury service at luxury prices. From all the trip reports on here, it seems like many people use them as resort trains anyway, so why not sell the brands to companies who would be willing capture resort-like revenues?

If limited to corriodor, NEC, and one-day overnights, perhaps Amtrak's overall OTP would improve (through subtraction) and you'd get fewer "never-again" passengers. Amtrak needs to worry about its brand...my understanding is that in most of the country (outside of here in the northeast), it's a pretty spotty brand due to the price+delay issues. This country can survive with multiple intercity train operators.

sell the EB, CZ, SWC brands to private operators who could provide luxury service at luxury prices. From all the trip reports on here, it seems like many people use them as resort trains anyway, so why not sell the brands to companies who would be willing capture resort-like revenues?
There's nothing stopping someone from doing that now. The fact that it's been tried and failed in the past indicates that it isn't a suggestion grounded in reality.

If limited to corriodor, NEC, and one-day overnights, perhaps Amtrak's overall OTP would improve (through subtraction) and you'd get fewer "never-again" passengers.
Unfortunately not. Many of Amtrak's most serious and damaging OTP problems have been on corridor and one-day overnight routes. That just plain needs to be fixed.

Remember the NS meltdown a couple of months ago? Trashed the OTP of two single-overnight trains and all the Michigan corridor trains? CP also seems to be unable or unwilling to dispatch the Adirondack on time.

I have been advocating government purchase of the tracks, or construction of parallel tracks, in these areas. Particularly heading east out of Chicago, where all the Michigan services, the LSL, and the CL are affected; and where passenger-exclusive tracks could also help the Hoosier State and Cardinal.

I have also advocated for trying to improve the boarding procedures on the Empire Service in order to get it to run on time.

There's truth to this. Fortunately I worked for businesses that were open to my... preferences.

I took the train from Albany to Toledo more than once, picked up my rental car and drove up to Ann Arbor. Our HR person thought I was nuts but as the cost was about the same as flying, he couldn't complain. And I pointed out I could get up at 4:00 AM to fly out and be in the office by 9 or so, or get on the train the night before, have a relaxing dinner, get up early (I think the first trip the scheduled time was about 4, after that about 5) and get my rental car and be in the office by 8.

A sleeper was a huge win there for me.

Yeah, I guess it is easy to say traffic is not a problem either having never been on I5 in LA , or even Seattle for that matter, or having a completely different semantics attached to the notion of "traffic jams" than one used by normal human beings.

Part of the issue is the equipment situation, something that has been a persistent problem for Amtrak for a long time. In the 1970s, Amtrak could, and did, put extra equipment on the Silvers and added a train (the Vacationer one year; I think it wore a few different names) as well. I rather suspect that the equipment for this came from the Western trains, which (domes notwithstanding) had equipment you could run into Penn Station. There are some options which you could use in theory (a seasonal Capitol Star, for example, combined with the Palmetto being extended, or sliding some extra equipment over to the Auto Train).

One thing to consider is that sleeper ridership on the Florida trains is largely flat throughout the year (monthly variability seems to largely center around disruptions of various sorts, though the Silver Star gets a sharp boost in November/December when it gets an additional sleeper added at the holidays). I think there is a good case to be made that demand is not being met (the $600 I paid one way this weekend for the only sleeper to open up on that train in close to three weeks says hi), so in a situation where you had generally compatible equipment what you would do is run your full system in summer and then add a share of the drawn-down equipment to the Florida service in the winter.

A lot of the cuts to the eastern trains likely trace back to the bad mix of Superliners and Heritage cars being pulled from service (as well as the general lack of equipment). The Three Rivers and Silver Palm both got dropped at the same time the Heritage sleepers were getting pulled (the Three Rivers had the last Heritage sleeper IIRC), and the reason was likely not unconnected to the lack of equipment. Remember that when the Cardinal got into a crash it had to be changed from Superliner to Viewliner because of a lack of spares, and that in turn killed the sleeper on 66/67.

The new Viewliner order should help with this to some extent, but the equipment situation in general remains quite problematic in many respects. I've had this argument with folks before, but I do believe that the Superliners represent an error on Amtrak's part because of what they've done in terms of restricting the fleet. More properly, the Superliner IIs were probably the error; notwithstanding re-equipping the Auto Train, it would likely have been better for Amtrak to get more Viewliners than Superliners at the time for flexibility reasons. There's some other tinkering that could be done, but in general there does seem to be a problem with sub-optimal fleet utilization in the winter months at present...and that's down to the split in the fleet.

By the way, I think the A-Day cut situation was a side-effect of what still existed there at the time combined with Amtrak's operating mandate at the time. New York was also blowing hot and cold on funding the route (Amtrak got them the LSL in exchange for funding...and then Rockefeller didn't manage to round up the funding so the route got cut back). Mismanagement issues aside, at A-Day Amtrak cut back to their required system (more or less) and then built back from there.

---------------

Just to address the short-haul cuts coming first, what seems to have happened is that locals would be cut...and some of their stops added to the long haul train(s) on the route. Take a look at Southern's timetable from 1973 or so and count up the stops no longer served by the Crescent today that either the Southern Crescent or the Piedmont Limited served. Likewise, cutting a local would simply tick off less people (and similarly, you'd see services rolled back over one part of a line for much the same reason).

---------------

Looking over at the Daylight situation, I think there are three reasons the slower schedule is happening:
(1) Bad track. I suspect you'd have to do a lot of fixing of tracks on the Coast Line to get close to the old Daylight schedule. There's a ton of bad track around Salinas, if I'm not mistaken.

(2) Added stops. The 9:45 Coast Daylight of the 1930s only had five intermediate stops (Glendale, SBA, SLO, Salinas, and SJC) and even by 1971 only two more had been added (Amtrak adds two more on top of this south of SJC). If I'm not mistaken, the Coast Daylight is supposed to have a more Surfliner-like stopping pattern; at least one sample timetable I found has 19 intermediate stops...this alone probably adds somewhere between :30 and 1:00 to the runtime from the 1930s.

(3) UP. Even setting (1) and (2) aside, UP poking around is likely to blame for at least some of the slowness (either directly, due to speed limits and freight meets, or indirectly in wanting lots of money for upgrades to authorize improvements).

I suspect that the problem is mostly down to (1) and (2), with (1) and (3) being occasionally hard to distinguish.

Let's run an exercise (and pardon any sarcasm here; I couldn't resist):

Assume that the Budd Fairy came to Amtrak and said that they'd been a good intercity railroad, and that if Amtrak left its retired Heritage cars under its pillow then the Budd Fairy would replace them with brand new sleepers!

So, Amtrak wakes up in the morning with another 75 single-level sleeping cars...what should Amtrak do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back