What's up with Salt Lake

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still a newbie when it comes to train travel. I have done a couple of short trips but nothing too long and complicated. Next week I am riding the Zephyr from Denver to Salt Lake City and back again. I noticed that the last 5 days the Zephyr has left Denver pretty much on time but has been late leaving Salt Lake a lot. On Monday they were 4 hours and 30 minutes late leaving. :angry: :angry: Since it leaves Salt Lake about 4am this is a concern to me as I really don't want to be waiting at the train station that early in morning when I could have been in my warm bed. :eek:

So my question is: If I call Amtrak at 3am will they give me the straight story about whether the train is on time or not? Would it be safe to trust them if they tell me the train is running an hour late, for example, or would it be safer to just wait at the station.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your responses!

Pam

It's really hard to tell because there are a lot of factors that hinder the on-time arrival- train derailment, bad weather, malfunctioned signals, track work, grade crossing accident, heavy freight traffic, etc.

Yes, if you call prior to departure, they will tell you the status AT THE LAST REPORTING STATION! (You can also find this same information online at amtrak.com when you click the "STATUS" tab on the left side and enter the cities and/or train #.)

You mentioned "... leaves about 4 AM ..." - That shows me that you're heading eastbound on #6. The last reporting station would be Elko, NV, and scheduled departure from there is at 10:11 PM (PT or 11:11 MT) so for the next 4 1/2 hours, there will not normally be any updates.

EDIT: Looking back on my answer, I'm confused! :blink: You mentioned "4 AM" but you also mentioned "Denver to Salt Lake". #6 (eastbound) departs ~4 AM, but #5 (westbound) departs at 11:30 PM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak won't lie to you about the train status. They'll tell you to best of their knowledge why its delayed and ETA. But keep in mind this is only a guess and the train does run late sometimes.

Well, ask yourself if you would be more inconvenienced losing some sleep to get to the train station on time or missing the train completely to get that sleep?

Well, ask yourself if you would be more inconvenienced losing some sleep to get to the train station on time or missing the train completely to get that sleep?
I was going to mention that.

The train has to wait 'till it's scheduled departure time. But if it's running late it might just stop for a minute, if necessary.

Don't count on the train being late. If it's running on time, it's usually going to depart on time. BE THERE.

Yes, if you call prior to departure, they will tell you the status AT THE LAST REPORTING STATION! (You can also find this same information online at amtrak.com when you click the "STATUS" tab on the left side and enter the cities and/or train #.)
You mentioned "... leaves about 4 AM ..." - That shows me that you're heading eastbound on #6. The last reporting station would be Elko, NV, and scheduled departure from there is at 10:11 PM (PT or 11:11 MT) so for the next 4 1/2 hours, there will not normally be any updates.

EDIT: Looking back on my answer, I'm confused! :blink: You mentioned "4 AM" but you also mentioned "Denver to Salt Lake". #6 (eastbound) departs ~4 AM, but #5 (westbound) departs at 11:30 PM!
Thanks so much for the reply. I am going on #5 from Denver to Salt Lake on Monday and returning on #6 from Salt Lake to Denver on Thursday. I appreciate the info about looking online. I don't mind waiting but waiting over 4 hours when I am getting to the station at 3:30am is sorta intimidating. I was more worried about waiting and waiting and then being so tired that I fall asleep on the train and miss all the scenery. But it is still much better than flying!

Thanks again.

I didn't mean to sound like a whiner. I don't mind waiting but waiting over 4 hours when I am getting to the station at 3:30am is sorta intimidating. I was more worried about waiting and waiting and then being so tired that I fall asleep on the train and miss all the scenery. I planned this trip and bought the tickets for my best friend's Birthday present. We are flying to Denver to catch the train because I heard this is one of the most beautiful trips on Amtrak and he just loves trains. I guess I am just worried everything is going to go wrong and it is going to turn into a diaster.

I didn't mean to sound like a whiner. I don't mind waiting but waiting over 4 hours when I am getting to the station at 3:30am is sorta intimidating. I was more worried about waiting and waiting and then being so tired that I fall asleep on the train and miss all the scenery. I planned this trip and bought the tickets for my best friend's Birthday present. We are flying to Denver to catch the train because I heard this is one of the most beautiful trips on Amtrak and he just loves trains. I guess I am just worried everything is going to go wrong and it is going to turn into a diaster.
When it comes to getting up at 3:30am if you don't absolutely have to, no, you're not a whiner! I still remember getting dropped off at the Thompson UT station (unmanned, and desolate) in summer pre-cell phone, and waiting three hours past scheduled arrival for my EB train to show up. A special memory, but one that you get used to when you travel by train, particularly on the happy rails of Uncle Pete (Union Pacific)!

Most of the time the eastbound Zephyr is early or on time. I know it's hard to gauge if it will be late, and it has been late a few times recently. I wouldn't get too nervous about it. The SLC station is small, but comfy enough & even that early in the morning, there is usually a few passengers there with the staff. I agree with you about it being so early-not fun, but we got up at 2:30 am to take the eastbound train in October, so I feel your pain! You probably will be pretty excited to ride the train again anyway! Have a great trip!

Most of the time the eastbound Zephyr is early or on time. I know it's hard to gauge if it will be late, and it has been late a few times recently. I wouldn't get too nervous about it. The SLC station is small, but comfy enough & even that early in the morning, there is usually a few passengers there with the staff. I agree with you about it being so early-not fun, but we got up at 2:30 am to take the eastbound train in October, so I feel your pain! You probably will be pretty excited to ride the train again anyway! Have a great trip!
Oh, I am almost beside myself I am so excited. There are tracks not far from my home and tracks not far from my work and I hear the whistles all day and night and I just want to run out and catch one.

I am looking forward to visiting Salt Lake also.

Thanks for taking the time to calm my nerves!

I know. It's tough hearing the train & not being on it. We live less than 5 miles from the station 7 hear the Zephyr come in every night from the front porch. It's funny, we will hear the horn around 10:20ish and say 'there's the zephyr!' & check the status & it has arrived. Should be a fun 'short run' from DEN to SLC!

I know. It's tough hearing the train & not being on it. We live less than 5 miles from the station 7 hear the Zephyr come in every night from the front porch. It's funny, we will hear the horn around 10:20ish and say 'there's the zephyr!' & check the status & it has arrived. Should be a fun 'short run' from DEN to SLC!
I do that too, I'll hear a train and think, oh my, the 510 (or whatever) is running late! And I'll go online and see, and indeed it is late.

Sorry to commit thread drift!

Oh but that is what I like about this forum...... (thread drift).......... it is rather like riding the train. Friendly, non-stressful, laid back........... Thank you for your thread drift ; )

I do that too, I'll hear a train and think, oh my, the 510 (or whatever) is running late! And I'll go online and see, and indeed it is late.

Sorry to commit thread drift!

No clue, I live in LNK and always have to catch the eastbound CZ at 4:10am. I always have my home PC on, I train status it one last time before going to bed, get up at about 3am to visit the bathroom, and then recheck the train status and adjust the alarm clock. It its on time, I stay up, if its 2 hours late, I go to bed for another 2 hours. I NEVER sit at 4am at a train station unless I have to. Good Luck!

Wonderful idea! I will use that suggestion. Thanks so much.

No clue, I live in LNK and always have to catch the eastbound CZ at 4:10am. I always have my home PC on, I train status it one last time before going to bed, get up at about 3am to visit the bathroom, and then recheck the train status and adjust the alarm clock. It its on time, I stay up, if its 2 hours late, I go to bed for another 2 hours. I NEVER sit at 4am at a train station unless I have to. Good Luck!

It's worth pointing out that not all reporting stations are passenger stations. Amtrak trains have scheduled times at points in between some stations (sometimes, many points in between). So, if a train passes one of these "in between" points early or late, the train status could be updated accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back