What to expect on California Zepher Westbound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
Continuing my "every numerical route in order from end to end" bucket list I will be doing CZ in June 2013 from CHI-EMY or technically San Francisco Shopping Center. We have a roomette. Any highlites of the route both on board and outside the windows?

Obviously the highlight is the climb up the Front Range upon leaving Denver (right side), then winding through the canyons all day. Highlights include the Moffat Tunnel, Gore Canyon (left side), Glenwood Canyon (right side and around which you should pass #6) just before Glenwood Springs. That was where the Vista Dome Monument was on US 6, since moved to the museum in Golden. West of Grand Junction is Ruby Canyon, where the state line is marked on the canyon wall at Utaline (mark is on right side, although there are good views on both sides here). Then the run through the desert with the Book Cliffs off on the right side of the train.

The next morning you will go over Donner Pass. Viewing is good out of both sides, but the right side is a bit better generally, particularly after you exit Tunnel 41 at Norden, as you go along the ridge with a valley, I-80 and other peaks visible across the valley from the ridge.

As to onboard highlights, it is a standard-issue Western LD Superliner. Nothing particularly special about it.

One of the more enjoyable aspects, for me anyway, is the onboard narration between Reno and Sacramento. This is done by volunteers from California State Railway Museum and is very enjoyable. They provide a lot of fun, historic information about the route and the towns along the way.

In the Rockies, keep your eyes peeled for elk, moose, coyotes and eagles. All four were spotted on my CZ trip just a few weeks ago. You might even see a brave kayaker or rafter on the Colorado River. I saw a fellow in a kayak near Glenwood Springs. Looked cold but fun!

In Denver there should be time to get off the train. Have a look at the major renovation project going on behind the historic Denver Union Station which will be maybe 150 yards behind your train at the temporary Denver platform.

It's being redeveloped into a multimodal facility which will have a transit bus transfer station stretching for two or three blocks underground from the back of Union Station over to a light rail station. The tracks will eventually be restored and Union Station will host Amtrak again and various commuter rail trains...... one route currently under construction will link DUS with the airport. Can't wait for that one to open.

We are doing a quick CZ westbound trip in one week. WAS to San Francisco - fly home the next morning. But winter is always good on the Zephyr and there seems to be a lot of snow cover in the Rockies and all of Utah (CZ route) as well as part of Nevada.

Donner Pass is always a highlight in any season.

Given that your trip is in June, you are likely to see many rafters on the Colorado River in Colorado (and a few miles in Utah). Some of them are likely to give your train The Amtrak Salute.

The Amtrak Salute.
Not another route with mooning? :angry2:
Yes, it is.
I took the CZ eastbound in December 2011. The Colorado River was virtually frozen and no one was on the river to give us an "Amtrak Salute." I was quite disappointed until we passed a parking lot shortly after the Moffatt Tunnel and there was one brave soul who "mooned" the train. It was very cold out so he got bonus points. ;)

Well, I'm something that you can look for from the California Zephyr. I'm not a highlight, but I imagine I'm a better sight than these "Salutes" that have been mentioned. I try to film the Zephyr as often as I can as it comes through Iowa. Not sure if I'll see your train in June, though. I don't usually plan that far ahead.

Once two young women in a raft shucked their duds and stood in all their pink glory as the train went by slowly. Even the little old ladies in the lounge car were laughing. Now that was a salute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back