What must a 16 year old do ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BS meter was off the charts with this one, but I've been wrong before. Never knew it meant this much to y'all.
You must eat a steady diet of shoes and crow.
If and when it's appropriate I will. So far it's all theory while the OP is MIA.
You mean you haven't seen a response. Very likely she, as a guest, viewed your caustic response and decided to seek advice elsewhere.

I don't blame her.

Well, DA is Devil's Advocate, what do you expect? Maybe he was just joking.

Yeah, the OP won't come back anyway after all this, I might as well not try to help.

And, to be fair, she posted in "Non-Rail Transportation", not the main Amtrak discussion. She may have seen some of the airline topics in a Google search.
Actually, the thread was originally in Amtrak Rail Discussion, but was moved.

If only she had come here and said something bad about Amtrak. DA would have valiantly defended her against the AU Foamer Hordes that would have persecuted her.
What if she's flying because she had a bad Amtrak experience?

Now, in all seriousness, it's rather strange that someone can somehow navigate here, of all places, when looking for information about flying. I suppose we have enough aviation related threads in the non-rail forum to show up in a Google search, and depending on what search terms were used, probably plenty of threads in the main Amtrak forum that have the phrase "airline travel" (usually used in a derogatory sense).

However she wound up here doesn't really matter, though. What's troubling is that a 16 year old needs to travel by plane, doesn't know how, and doesn't ask parents/family about how to do so. I suppose the reason could be legitimate (they have to travel by themselves, and none of their family have ever traveled by air before and thus can't help them; though even in that case one might expect some friend, neighbor, schoolteacher, etc. to have flown and have some helpful hints). But it's also possible that the OP specifically doesn't want to ask her parents. Then one has to wonder why that might be.

English might not be her or her parents' first language, and maybe her parents aren't familiar with air travel either.

Also, a quick name search turned up her Facebook profile. OP - if you're still around, you might want to ask if the mods can delete the thread. Using your real name isn't a great idea, no matter how old you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this is a legitimate question, but this OP really know nothing about air travel. Planes don't even have real tickets anymore, it's all just an e-ticket, not something that can "hold on to".

If you're coming back here, Deena, you basically print out your e-ticket confirmation, show it to the check-in desk, and they will give you a boarding pass to fly. This is also where you check your bags, but it's not recommended because checking bags on all flights within North America cost extra money. You have to pass through security before getting to the boarding gates. After that, it's self-explanatory.

Don't bring lots of bags on a plane because they'll fine you dozens of dollars if it's slightly oversized or overweight. If you have lots of bags, take Amtrak or Greyhound. If you're flying international and ground transport is not an option, fly an airline from another country, they usually have larger baggage allowances.

You could have just answered the question and left it alone. If something DID happen, then you would have had cause for concern.

:rolleyes:

The title of the thread (provided by the OP?) doesn't sound to me like something that a 16 year old would write.

Which leads me to question the authenticity (or intent?) of the original post.

I think the age comes into play and is important because she might not be sure if she's allowed, as the "minor" rules for travel seem to vary depending on the method of transportation. It's just like when I was 23 and asked, on Yahoo, "Can a 23-year old rent a car?" I wanted people to know my age since the answer could depend on that. Nobody accused me of being a 48-year old Russian male operating under a clever ruse to steal their social security number and PIN.

Shenanigans or not, I don't think it's right to call her into question and insult her instead of just answering the very simple question and behaving like a proper human being. Last I checked, this forum allowed all kinds of travel questions without having to produce ID and a birth certificate.

Back