What must a 16 year old do ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deena Amelene

I am 16 and I am planning I traveling on a plane. I am not sure what I am suppose to do first. Do I give the people my luggage? Do I keep my ticket with me? When do I show them my ticket? PLEASE HELP ME.

I am 16 and I am planning I traveling on a plane. I am not sure what I am suppose to do first. Do I give the people my luggage? Do I keep my ticket with me? When do I show them my ticket? PLEASE HELP ME.
This is a site that discusses Amtrak train travel, so if you're traveling on a plane, you've come to the wrong place. Did you mean train? If not, what airline are you on? There are some here who could give you some advice and help.

Call the airline's phone number and ask the questions. You may spend a while on hold. The process is not overly complicated. I do not think you are even in the "Unaccompanied minor" status. Not sure where the break point for that is now, but I don't remember any hassles in dealing with that travel for our kids unaccompanied at that age.

If this is your first plane trip do not worry. Just go to the ticket counter of your airline, It you need to check bags they will take them from you at the check in line, if you can carry on , they will let you know. ( they would prefer you carry on and will help you do so if at all possible).

No sixteen year old in 2013 would be this clueless about how to use the internet.

Must be some sort of scam or sting or something.
Yup. However, I have no idea what the objective is. Using a female sounding name. Maybe something sex related?
Your guess is as good as mine.

I would advise the admins and moderators to monitor PM's when stuff like this shows up.

The internet is easy, but the verbage on airline websites may not be.

Deena - when you get to the airport, follow the signs to your airline's check-in counter. They will check your bags if they are too big to be carried-on. They will also issue your boarding pass.

Keep your boarding pass handy and walk over to security. They will check your boarding pass against your ID. If you are bringing your bags with you (carry-on), you will set the bags on the conveyor. Put your shoes, belt, jacket, purse, and laptop in the plastic bins (they're stacked at the beginning of the conveyor). Everyone else will be doing the same thing, so you can watch them if you need a little help. Your bags and bins will go through the X-ray machine while you go through the scanner. The TSA agent will tell you what to do and when (you hold your arms up above your head, and then they'll tell you when to put them back down).

Once you go through the scanner, watch for your bags and bins and collect all of your stuff. Your boarding pass will show your gate. Follow the signs to your gate and wait for your flight to be called. They will probably board you in groups, depending on the airline. Your boarding pass will tell you which group you are in. Once your group is called, just walk to the plane and go to your assigned seat. Put your carry-on in the bin above your head or under the seat in front of you.

If you checked your bags, you'll collect them after your plane lands. The airport you're flying into will have signs directing you to "Baggage Claim", and there are signs above the conveyors that list your airline and flight to help you figure out which conveyor to stand near. The bags will come out eventually; sometimes it takes a little while.

I hope you have a great flight!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would advise the admins and moderators to monitor PM's when stuff like this shows up.
The mods and admins have no business going through people's PMs, nor do they have the time to do so. I certainly don't want them reading my mail.

The OP is also a guest, so she can't even send any PMs to monitor.

Her question to me sounded very earnest - what's the harm in just giving her a straight answer like Sarah did?

Accusing her of trying to scam people or "something sex related" is wildly out of line.

The internet is easy, but the verbage on airline websites may not be. Does no one remember being 16? Be nice. This could be someone's daughter or niece.
Okay, so let’s break it down then.

Red Flag #1: There is no need to focus the subject entirely on your age, especially when you're claiming to be a minor.

I am 16...
Red Flag #2: There is no need or benefit to including your age as the very first detail in your very first line of your very first post, especially when you're claiming to be a minor.

…I am planning I traveling on a plane.
Red Flag #3: The post has absolutely nothing to do with 95% of what’s contained in this forum and is unlikely to land here by accident or by legitimate search.

Do I give the people my luggage? Do I keep my ticket with me? When do I show them my ticket? PLEASE HELP ME.
Red Flag #4: The questions provide no details of what spawned them, no explanation for why they’re being asked here, and no indication for how the author arrived at the site.

Red Flag #5: If you condense the post to the bare essentials it says "I’m 16, I repeat I'm 16, I’m also amazingly clueless about some vague travel related issue, HELP ME."

I wasn't aware every 16-year old was required to pass a course in how to write an internet question properly and be a professional traveler at the same time.

I wasn't aware every 16-year old was required to pass a course in how to write an internet question properly and be a professional traveler at the same time.
Aren't you aware? There's a test that you must pass before learning something! /s

I'm not sure how anyone could get a scam out of this. What is she trying to get me to do, go around to every airport and hope to find this innocent 16-year-old trying to lure me in?

Last edited by a moderator:
The internet is easy, but the verbage on airline websites may not be. Does no one remember being 16? Be nice. This could be someone's daughter or niece.
Okay, so let’s break it down then.

Red Flag #1: There is no need to focus the subject entirely on your age, especially when you're claiming to be a minor.

I am 16...
Red Flag #2: There is no need or benefit to including your age as the very first detail in your very first line of your very first post, especially when you're claiming to be a minor.

…I am planning I traveling on a plane.
Red Flag #3: The post has absolutely nothing to do with 95% of what’s contained in this forum and is unlikely to land here by accident or by legitimate search.

Do I give the people my luggage? Do I keep my ticket with me? When do I show them my ticket? PLEASE HELP ME.
Red Flag #4: The questions provide no details of what spawned them, no explanation for why they’re being asked here, and no indication for how the author arrived at the site.

Red Flag #5: If you condense the post to the bare essentials it says "I’m 16, I repeat I'm 16, I’m also amazingly clueless about some vague travel related issue, HELP ME."
As but one example, a 15 year old is going to need to do something much different than a 16 or 17 year old when traveling Amtrak, and the airlines may be the same way. Saying you're a minor may not be specific enough - policies for minors depend on what age they are.

Also, what exactly would she be trying to do to scam us? There's no email address in the post, no way to contact her, just a name.

1466171_664012466953712_1895043234_n.jpg

Tom, thanks for clarifying that the staff hasn't yet taken a position with the NSA. :D

No sixteen year old in 2013 would be this clueless about how to use the internet.

Must be some sort of scam or sting or something.
I don't know where you live or what people you may or may not know, but there are some pretty dumb sixteen year olds out there and still many parts of this country without reliable Internet or schools with budgets for computer labs. So just because you had the fortune of becoming computer literate does not make the experience ubiquitous.

And we wonder why new people don't join and become members as often as before. Jumping to the conclusion that the quest is "up to something" is just wrong. Can't we just give answers without jumping on people. If you don't like what is posted, DON'T OPEN IT AND DON'T RESPOND, easy as that.

And, to be fair, she posted in "Non-Rail Transportation", not the main Amtrak discussion. She may have seen some of the airline topics in a Google search.

Also, what exactly would she be trying to do to scam us? There's no email address in the post, no way to contact her, just a name.
It caught someone's fertile imagination, who then in all seriousness apparently, let 'er rip and then proceeded to double down. I thought it was all subtle weird humor (not so unusual here) until I realized I had been taken :(

(AU member posting - these opinions are mine and mine alone.)

Even if she is 16, she deserves the same respect and same courtesy of an answer as any other guest or member of AU. Yes, it was posted to a (basically) train forum, but do we not also get many bus questions too? :huh: I guess all those people are trying to scam us too!

And I'm not picking on any parts of the country, but there are many areas where cell phone coverage and possibly even Internet service may be poor or even non-existent. Places like parts of WV and MT I can not get coverage. And just for Devil, much of the area between SAS and ELP I can not get coverage either.

So I guess that area must be full of scammers - at least by what Devil says!

I don't make assumptions just on a few words someone has written. And I for one hope that others would not also.

Back