What are you doing on National Train Day? May 9th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Audrey and I will be in Chicago Union Station for much of it. We're arriving onboard the Cardinal on the 9th, and leaving that same night on the Capitol Limited, connecting to the Pennsy.

I haven't made any plans.... perhaps I'll make a spontaneous trip to DC or PHL. Everything depends upon work schedule.

Audrey and I will be in Chicago Union Station for much of it. We're arriving onboard the Cardinal on the 9th, and leaving that same night on the Capitol Limited, connecting to the Pennsy.
I may get a chance to see you if you want. I should be in the lounge for a little while that evening before the City of New Orleans boards.

Aboard the SWC traveling between LA and Chicago arriving in CHI the afternoon of May 9th. Then on to the Cardinal for CVS.

I guess most of the activities will be over by the time we arrive in CHI.

I may get a chance to see you if you want. I should be in the lounge for a little while that evening before the City of New Orleans boards.
I'm doing this one in coach, but if you want to you can pm me.

Panic shopping for a Mother's Day gift. :eek:
I already found one. $65 worth of flowers from 1-800-Flowers. 25 points per dollar. 1625 points and my moms favourite item- flowers. PERFECTION.

I'll be arriving in Chicago Union Station that morning for a few hours and then on the CZ to San Francisco that afternoon. California here I come. :)

I apologize if this has been posted before. Right now, I am planning to go to Union Station in Chicago to check out the festivities. I'll ride from La Crosse to Chicago on the EB. Then I'm planning to take a short round trip to Glenview on the Hiawatha. Lastly, I am taking the City of New Orleans to Carbondale, IL in lieu of getting a hotel room. It helps since I got the low bucket. Then, I'll ride back to La Crosse on Sunday.
I board the EB MSP-VAN which will coincide with getting quad points.

I'll be taking a 90 minute Thruway bus ride for the joy of a 15-20 minute train ride from Sacramento to Davis. I'm doing it partly for the points, partly to celebrate train day and partly to enjoy traveling (and perhaps a stop at the train museum).

I will be taking a neighborhood family to Chicago Union Station. My wife,friends and I will be going to CUS on Metra a first train ride for the Dad and 3 children (8, 7, and 5) and Mom's only second ride ever. The young ones are Thomas the Train fans and hopefully Amtrak fans and future riders.

If you are in the area serviced by Metra, just remember that the $5.00 all day fare a bargain and you can take up to 3 children free with each adult fare. This is a great way to enjoy a family outing at a very inexpensive price and can share some of the railroading experience with youngster and keep the railroad dream alive.

The kids are a little young to enjoy the "Lou Mitchell" experience, but my little village had a nice breakfast place that is dead on Saturday mornings where we will begin our "rail adventure." :p :p :p

Anyone else get a postcard from Amtrak? I got an over sized card on Saturday announcing the event. Never got any email from them. If I bring the card with me I get a special souvenir. Doesn't say what it is.

If anyone will be in DC this Saturday there's also an open house of many European Union embassies. Click on http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/ and then the PASSPORT DC link on the left sidebar. Lots of freebies, entertainment and free food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to Union Station in Los Angeles and have fun
Join us...you can meet AU BigWig WhoozOn1st :)

As detailed there, I'll be on 5 different trains (799, 768, 774, 775, 792), visiting 5 different stations (GDL [twice], VNC, LAX [twice, but the second time only 15 minutes], SNA, OXN). 450 points for the first 4 trains will more than make up for the 0 points on the 5th, chuljin's-rule victim ticket. :)

I ll be on one of the Keystones from Harrisburg to Philly to enjoy the festivities at 30th street station. Last year I went to DC for a ride from Was to Cumberland to find out the only place to stay overnight was an overpriced Holiday Inn. This time out in the morning,back in the evering.

I probably won't be able to get out anywhere unfortunately. I'll have to go with the next best thing.

58.jpg

IZ QCY to MAC, bicycle to GBB, IZ GBB back to QCY. 4 * (100 + 100) = 800

Last week: IZ QCY to MAC, bicycle back to QCY. 2 * 100 = 200

Total 1000 points; enough for a free ride to CHI.

I apologize if this has been posted before. Right now, I am planning to go to Union Station in Chicago to check out the festivities. I'll ride from La Crosse to Chicago on the EB. Then I'm planning to take a short round trip to Glenview on the Hiawatha. Lastly, I am taking the City of New Orleans to Carbondale, IL in lieu of getting a hotel room. It helps since I got the low bucket. Then, I'll ride back to La Crosse on Sunday.
plan on taking a train from Baltimore to Trenton, then taking a riverline train to phila, then riding around Phila including visiting the exibit at Phila and taking a train back,. grab those extra points, may take an Acela on one leg

Unfortunately, I'll be working as well. Work should understand the importance of NOT working today, and riding trains instead!

Is there anything special at the depots? There was a big banner in Washington last week, but I didn't see anything in Chicago.

In reading these posts, it looks like there will be four AU member in Chicago on the 9th. Sounds like enough people for a small party!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back