Weight limits on upper berths in Superliner Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how much room you have up there (obviously, this is not me):

The weight limit is extremely generous; however, it can bother anyone with claustrophobia. It's also not very wide, as you can see in the photo.
Is that Viewliner or Superliner? Superliner is more claustrophobia than Viewliner.
That's a Superliner. The Viewliners have a window at the top instead of that storage thingie.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple shots of it, with the safety strap:

DSCN2598.JPG

5693491597_bf6caf71af_z.jpg

Rats. You have a point. I was focusing on showing the strap, not the distance from the bed to the ceiling.

Rats! It never occurred to me that the space between bunk and ceiling was so small. I'll be riding the CS in June. My friend has knee problems, so I generously offered to take the upper bunk. I may live to regret that since I am slightly claustrophobic. I might want to request a lower level roommette just for the "perceived" extra space. Thanks for the pictures.

Finally found a shot of the top bunk of an upper level roomette. :p Just looking at the picture makes my chest tight. You would have to drug me to get me to sleep up there. (That's why Brent sleeps up there, not me.)

IMG_1094.jpg

There is a reason that Santa Fe the inventors of Hi-Level cars did not go for Hi-Level Sleepers. :) Packing as many as possible in a car and high-ceilinged luxury don;t go together. The Super Chief always remained a pure single level train with Dome Lounges, .... well until of course it got combined with the El Capitan.

Aloha

How about these?

panel_facilties.jpg

More on this type of hotel room :rolleyes: :giggle:
Also known as "Coffin Hotels" :) Having stayed in one I felt more like being in a dog kennel with TV service.

Perhaps should be considered for low cost sleeping accommodation! :p It is possible that such a sleeping car could hold more passengers than a standard Amtrak LD Coach! Pile em up three or four on top of each other :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

How about these?

panel_facilties.jpg

More on this type of hotel room :rolleyes: :giggle:
Also known as "Coffin Hotels" :) Having stayed in one I felt more like being in a dog kennel with TV service.

Perhaps should be considered for low cost sleeping accommodation! :p It is possible that such a sleeping car could hold more passengers than a standard Amtrak LD Coach! Pile em up three or four on top of each other :giggle:
Budd already tried that. They called it a Slumbercoach....

No Pod hotel for me. Uh-uh. No way. :eek:
But you have been in the "Coffin", aka the Top Bunk in a Superliner Roomette, so that's good practice for a Pod! :giggle:
Nope. BF sleeps in the coffin, not me. Small spaces give me a panic attack. Even just looking at that picture I posted makes me short of breath. (That's not my BF, btw - that came from Google.)

Just did a trip on the Coast Starlight, in the H room. The SCA from Seattle had a ladder in the room. She said they have a on of them in LAX. I have no trouble getting in the upper bunk, however with the ladder it was a little easyer.

Nope. BF sleeps in the coffin, not me. Small spaces give me a panic attack. Even just looking at that picture I posted makes me short of breath. (That's not my BF, btw - that came from Google.)
I'm with your Sorcha, that picture makes me cringe. I always thought I'd get a bedroom if I ever travelled with someone else (I've always had a roomette to myself and no desire to share it) now I know that I'd rather be in coach than sleep that close to the ceiling, eek.

Fortunately I'm not claustrophobic. I'm going to be in an upper Superliner roomette bunk for the next three nights -- I'm taking the TE from Maricopa to Chicago (and the LSL to Boston).

I'm 6'1, 215 and I get stuck up there myself since my partner is some what claustrophobic, and he won't sleep up there.

I don't mind being up there, yes it is a bit cozy, and too bad there's no window to look out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back