Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s funny - I had thought it was reasonably clear when I posted it that I had just found a picture of a ViewDiner and slapped Trenton onto the nameplate. Sorry I didn't make it clearer. Nonetheless, I’m glad that some of y'all got a kick out of it.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
cpotisch--

You weren't to know, but my technology skills are about even with switching from a quill pen to a plastic ballpoint one--I am way behind the curve (partly on purpose--I never want a smartphone, for example) and wouldn't recognize something was a fake photo unless it jumped up and patted me on the head.
default_tongue.png
(Well, one exception--even I got the Gov. Christie in the beach chair posted all over!
default_tongue.png
)

But I got a good laugh out of your post, especially when I realized it wasn't a real dining car (learning to laugh at yourself is one of the best lessons I ever learned, and it comes in handy for me a lot!) and I think everyone else did, too!
default_smile.png

One never knows....I have a friend who doesn't have a computer at home. People make fun of his failure to try and understand modern things. What they don't know is he has masters in mathematics, is responsible for computer monitoring of billions of dollars in currency flow every day. Why no computer - "If they knew I had one I'd be working 24hrs a day, because of Europe and Asia time zones"....I try not to judge what people are truly capable of, by what they choose to embrace.

One never knows....I have a friend who doesn't have a computer at home. People make fun of his failure to try and understand modern things. What they don't know is he has masters in mathematics, is responsible for computer monitoring of billions of dollars in currency flow every day. Why no computer - "If they knew I had one I'd be working 24hrs a day, because of Europe and Asia time zones"....I try not to judge what people are truly capable of, by what they choose to embrace.
More people need to follow this Model and leave their job @ the office, especially while on Vacation!

It's a bit of a paradox, he patently refuses to bring work home, but it is not unusual for him to work til 9 at night, or on a Saturday as quarterlies approach. I know he is there at least 40 years, because they gave him a tv for 40 years, and I swapped his cable box and rewired it because he didn't have HDTV and the new one was. Maufacturers merge with Hanover, merge with Chemical merge with Chase merge with JP Morgan to form JP Morgan Chase. Still there, either really good at what he does or has pictures of his bosses with farm animals. (or both)

When I was working full-time, I did not have a computer at home for the same reason--so no one could get me for an overnight project. (I was expected to come in on weekends if needed, but that happened rarely.)

Now I don't have a computer at home because I can use the one at work or the library, and it will be someone else's headache if it isn't working properly.

And now that I work part-time, I love working on the weekends! (The ability to say "no" if I want is a great incentive!)

We seem to have wandered just a bit from the main theme, so I'll see if I can transport us back there. In spite of my snarky remarks about Trenton, I believe "Trenton" was not used to name a dining car because they were naming the state capitals in alphabetical order. Trenton is at the end of the list, and they ran out of cars before they got to it.

We seem to have wandered just a bit from the main theme, so I'll see if I can transport us back there. In spite of my snarky remarks about Trenton, I believe "Trenton" was not used to name a dining car because they were naming the state capitals in alphabetical order. Trenton is at the end of the list, and they ran out of cars before they got to it.
Oh wow. I didn't know that, but that makes perfect sense. Did you figure that one out or hear it from someone else?

Oh wow. I didn't know that, but that makes perfect sense. Did you figure that one out or hear it from someone else?
Amtrak clearly said so in its original announcement of the proposed names of the cars. It should not be a mystery for those who managed to follow things that far back regarding this seemingly forever running saga.

Oh darn, jis--you posted before I got a chance to say that I figured it out all by myself!
default_mosking.gif

I had forgotten where I had seen it, but you're right--it was when Amtrak announced the proposed car names.

Doing it in alphabetical order was fair and logical.

It is also the reason that we all now remember that Annapolis is the capital of Maryland, since we've seen that car a lot.
default_smile.png
(Although I don't remember seeing Albany--do they go to their part of the country if possible?)

Oh darn, jis--you posted before I got a chance to say that I figured it out all by myself!
default_mosking.gif

I had forgotten where I had seen it, but you're right--it was when Amtrak announced the proposed car names.

Doing it in alphabetical order was fair and logical.

It is also the reason that we all now remember that Annapolis is the capital of Maryland, since we've seen that car a lot.
default_smile.png
(Although I don't remember seeing Albany--do they go to their part of the country if possible?)

Albany is still sitting at the CAF factory, awaiting repairs/renovation.

So we’re still missing 68000 ‘Albany’, 68010 ‘Dover’, and 68011 ‘Frankfort’. It’s been more than three months since the last delivery. What is happening in Elmira???

So we’re still missing 68000 ‘Albany’, 68010 ‘Dover’, and 68011 ‘Frankfort’. It’s been more than three months since the last delivery. What is happening in Elmira???
Well, it was an extended Labor Day break. Now we are too close to Thanksgiving and then there is Christmas. So naturally nothing will happen until the next year :hi:

Back