Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Various Amtrak sources have told Railway Age that the brand-new CAF USA-built Viewliner II dining cars are having their expensive cooking equipment removed and undergoing conversion into lounge cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Various Amtrak sources have told Railway Age that the brand-new CAF USA-built Viewliner II dining cars are having their expensive cooking equipment removed and undergoing conversion into lounge cars.
What???  :(  Could you post a link to that?

The link posted is to Trainorders.

The correct link is:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/intercity/amtrak-touts-performance-financial-records/

Also the whole part of converting the diners to lounge is listed as the writers interpretation.  Of course he states he has multiple Amtrak personal tell him this.

Not very reliable, no need to panic yet.

Removing the galley equipment seems like a bad choice to me...

Of course, what is done, can later be 'reversed', but at what cost?

They should just do what they are doing now, for now, and leave the equipment intact, just in case a future administration hopefully changes this direction, but they seem determined to "burn their bridges" behind them.... :(

How reliable is Railway Age and this particular author/editor?

Because " Various Amtrak sources have told Railway Age that the brand-new CAF USA-built Viewliner II dining cars—part of a multi-million-dollar-order for baggage cars, sleepers and diners—are having their expensive cooking equipment removed and undergoing conversion into lounge cars. " isn't the same thing as Amtrak stating that they removed the cooking equipment. You can find a source that will say just about anything, and may say it to further their own interests even if they know it to be false.

On edit: Did I miss the direct statement by an Amtrak employee?

Is my understanding correct that in their current configuration these cars could not function like the dinette cars on the cardinal and silver star?  If they could these cars would be an improvement over the amfleet cars. 

Is my understanding correct that in their current configuration these cars could not function like the dinette cars on the cardinal and silver star?  If they could these cars would be an improvement over the amfleet cars. 
This has actually been discussed a few times on AU, and what seems to have generally been concluded is that the ViewDiners' lack of a counter is the only real issue with using one as a lounge. And I don't think it would be difficult at all for them to just remove the kitchen wall and turn it into a snack counter, so I would agree that ViewDiners are a pretty good candidate to replace the AmCan lounges. Of course, I would also much prefer them to be used as actual dining cars...

It’s better they are used as diners. But they would a huge improvement over the amfleet lounges.  
Agree that it would be better to use them as real diner's like they were designed for.   If a section of the galley wall was modified to use as a counter, it could be used as a cafe lounge, I suppose, but...it would have fewer table space than the Amfleet lounges, and the passageway between the counter and the wall would be kind of narrow as compared to the Amfleet setup, making for congestion...

On the LSL, is there a dedicated attendant for the First Class Lounge / V2 Diner? If so, why wouldn’t they treat it like a real lounge dedicated to sleeper passengers & BC? Seems like a chance to add revenue and a little bit more utility for the car. Sell some slightly upscale items (fruit & cheese plate, nice desserts) along with booze and soft drinks. The free (fresh & contemporary) stuff would still be handed out there as well. Seems too logical to me. Wouldn’t take much more than a counter and a refrigerator.

On the LSL, is there a dedicated attendant for the First Class Lounge / V2 Diner? If so, why wouldn’t they treat it like a real lounge dedicated to sleeper passengers & BC? Seems like a chance to add revenue and a little bit more utility for the car. Sell some slightly upscale items (fruit & cheese plate, nice desserts) along with booze and soft drinks. The free (fresh & contemporary) stuff would still be handed out there as well. Seems too logical to me. Wouldn’t take much more than a counter and a refrigerator.
A few things:

1. There is a dedicated LSA in the new Sleeper Lounge.
  2. BC passengers don't have access to the lounge.
  3. Soft drinks and your first hard drink are all complimentary, so they don't need to sell the former, and they already sell the latter.

cpotisch said:
A few things:
  1. There is a dedicated LSA in the new Sleeper Lounge.
  2. BC passengers don't have access to the lounge.
  3. Soft drinks and your first hard drink are all complimentary, so they don't need to sell the former, and they already sell the latter.
1. Thought so - thanks

2. Knew that - but it’s dumb - access to that car would sell more BC seats. Also - if you sell booze in there it increases your audience that buys drinks and tips.

3. I’m proposing a NICER place to buy drinks and NICER snacks. Believe it or not, most towns have more than one bar. Give the car a little more ambience and BC/Sleeper passengers might spend more.

Also - what in the blue blazes is that V2 attendant doing all day long anyway? How long does it take to hand out 2 boxed meals per sleeper passenger anyway? The folks running the regular lounge run their tail off (but probably do decent on the tips at least).

It would appear that Indy is suggesting that the V-II Diner be open to all as the one Food Svc car.  They likely will have to start modifying the cars to have a counter; just maybe that is what is being evaluated with 00-"Albany".  I would think they could "have tryouts" with 91-92, Star.  Could everyone be handled with one Attendant? Should or shouldn't go "Fresh and Contemporary" for the Sleepers (raise the room rates) or would they have to assign two Attendants and obviate the savings?

Time to give the Phalanx  at 1 Mass something to do other than simply guarding the fort.

just maybe that is what is being evaluated with 00-"Albany".
Nope. We've been through this - Albany is a prototype car which has to be brought up to the current ViewDiner design and spec, and which we've known all along will be delivered last (of the diners). It would make absolutely zero sense to deliver 24 of the 25 diners in normal spec and then somehow have the last be in some different layout for use as a special all-in-one food service car on what would have to be a single consist. No sense whatsoever.  :help:

Back