Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son (goes to University of Delaware right next to NEC) noted that the next day's southbound SM had a Heritage diner tagging along on the back. Implication: 68006 is going on the Crescent?

In my now happily retired career, I worked my way up and down several management chains. I learned two important things.

First, the level of management above you has access to a lot more information than you do, and has very different priorities than you think they should have.

Second, despite this advanced level of information and priorities, they still mess things up.
Heh. Nice comment.

I have learned from experience never to assume that professionals actually know more about their own business than I do -- sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

It's pretty obvious that Amtrak's sense of priorities has been... confused... over the years. Perhaps my favorite example was that Claytor, Downs, Warrington, Gunn, Hughes, Kummant, and Crosbie made no efforts towards ADA compliance for the first *25 years* for which the law was in effect -- and Lewis, Reistrup, Boyd, and Claytor largely ignored the Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 for 20 years before that. While I'm sure they had other things on their mind, given that Amtrak attracts a disproportionate percentage of the disabled traveller market, some sort of effort to try to start complying would have been both financially and politically sound, as well as legally sound. Boardman was the first to get his priorities straight.

And we're talking relatively sane business management, not government agencies.

p.s. I just had an AmCafe diner meal on the LSL last weekend, and it wasn't great, but it was still a dinner in the diner. Nothing could be finer.
Can't eat it because I've spent four years trying to get them to divulge ingredients lists, which is ridiculous, since this should be a trivial thing to do. I'm writing to the President and Board tomorrow (Post Office is closed today).

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers 27 and 0 come to mind for some reason. :D
Oh hush!
Rocco has the Hens pointed in the right direction. As a grad of another CAA school I can say I'm glad that UD will be back in the mix soon. I've enjoyed many great JMU-UD games over the years, especially during the Flacco era. Ask Ryan if the numbers 26 and 16 ring any bells :eek:

I will rerail this topic, I have heard of or seen eye witness accounts of Indianapolis, Charleston, and Columbia being in service. Additionally I have heard at least Boston, Baton Rouge, and Augusta are also currently in service, we may be close to seeing enough VDs (I know, terrible abbreviation) take over the Crescent.

Cheers,

Nick

Haven't seen Atlanta in a while, though I was on it on back in June (SM). Based on youtube videos and testimony on this forum. I know that Annapolis, Columbia, Baton Rouge, and Indianapolis are currently on the SM. Augusta and Boston seem to be on the Crescent.

Per the October update over at On-Track-On-Line, there are now just eight Heritage dining cars still in service, and (at least on paper) also eight Viewliner II dining cars available.

Open question is just now many of the Viewliners are actually serviceable at any given moment.

Charleston diner is on today's (10/12/17) 98. (as an aside, 98 has had some bad luck today. We are dwelling somewhere in Seminole County waiting for a new crew since our crew timed out. There was a CSX freight derailment south of Sebring that delayed 98 into Sebring, and other central Florida cities. We departed Orlando 4:55 late.)

Charleston diner is on today's (10/12/17) 98. (as an aside, 98 has had some bad luck today. We are dwelling somewhere in Seminole County waiting for a new crew since our crew timed out. There was a CSX freight derailment south of Sebring that delayed 98 into Sebring, and other central Florida cities. We departed Orlando 4:55 late.)
You get more train ride for your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#98 now shown as 6+ Hours down in Deland. How far are you going Penny?

#98 now shown as 6+ Hours down in Deland. How far are you going Penny?
I am going to NYC for the Autumn Express, so no connection issues for me. I think the lunch I did not get today, I will get tomorrow. There is a great crew on the train and I am enjoying the ride. I will see some cities in daylight that I ordinarily do not see on 98. It is almost like taking a different train (an early 92 on the A line).

You get more train ride for your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
:)

You were on 98 with Charleston?

You were on 98 with Charleston?
yes. Thursday's (10/12) Silver Meteor.

Back