Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The criteria for the names is capitol cities east of the Mississippi, regardless of whether they have Amtrak service.
With Saint Paul, Trenton, and Washington awaiting a future order, I suppose. :)
Or perhaps Saint Paul was excluded because Amtrak is a government organization and must not be entangled with religion. :)
It is kind of weird that those cities were excluded since they all have Amtrak service. Washington is obviously different from a state capital, so I can see why that was excluded. Minnesota is primarily west of the Mississippi River and the eastbound EB crosses back to the west side of it for a period before turning east towards Chicago. Trenton is a little harder to explain. Maybe Amtrak did not want to be associated with New Jersey, let alone Trenton?[emoji6]
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Since there's only 25 diners in the order, Trenton did not make the cut. If more are ordered, it will obviously be included. Minnesota is probably considered west of the Mississippi. Washington is the national capital, not a state capital. It's not that hard to understand.

Austin is not a Capital of an Eastern State in which Viewliners operate.

Besides, who would want to have anything to do with Texas anyway? :p
When I was in the military stationed in NM, our job was to protect the United States from the Barbarians in the east. Those were the people in the state to the east of us. :giggle: We were invaded many times but we never allowed them past Ruidoso,

If God wanted Texans to ski, He would have given them a mountain - so say those of us from NM.

God wanted Texans to ski. That's why He gave them Ruidoso - so say the Texans. And that's why it was so hard to push them back across the border.

And, no, it was not prior to 1845. :blush:

Uh! Oh! Off-topic again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on recent youtube videos and testimony on this thread, these seem to be the routes the respective diners are running on (with the most recent sighting).

Silver Meteor:

Annapolis - October 7

Columbia - October 8

Baton Rouge - October 4

Indianapolis - October 13

Charleston - October 17

Columbus October

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Boston - October 4

What's confusing is that there are only four SM consists, but 6 recent diners.

Sesame Street is generally brought to you by a letter *and* a number.

Perchance is this coming episode brought to us by the letter H and the number 2? ;)
Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Based on recent youtube videos and testimony on this thread, these seem to be the routes the respective diners are running on (with the most recent sighting).

Silver Meteor:

Annapolis - October 7

Columbia - October 8

Baton Rouge - October 4

Charleston - October 17

Columbus October

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Boston - October 4

What is confusing you?

Silver Meteor:

Annapolis - October 7

Columbia - October 8

Baton Rouge - October 4

Charleston - October 17

Columbus October

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Boston - October 4

What makes you believe that cars in consist are never changed out?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I have endeavored to give you an argument, Sir. I have not and will not endeavor to give youvamd understanding. Dr. Samuel Johnson.

Now if only Amtrak could start service to the state capitals that some of these diners are named after and that currently don't have service (Columbus, Baton Rouge, Nashville, Tallahassee, Montgomery, etc). lol

I'm sorry. I should I have been a lot clearer. What I meant is that I wonder why Amtrak has been constantly cycling diners on the Meteor recently. Those cars aren't being seen on the Crescent, so clearly many cars are being taken out of service for short bouts. This might indicate reliability issues.

Now if only Amtrak could start service to the state capitals that some of these diners are named after and that currently don't have service (Columbus, Baton Rouge, Nashville, Tallahassee, Montgomery, etc). lol
Tallahassee will get service if/when the City of New Orleans sends a few cars down to Orlando. I'm afraid the dearth of equipment following the Nippon-Sharyo crash test debacle may delay this.

Louisiana has the studies for Baton Rouge-New Orleans, but lacks the will to put money into it. The case will be stronger if/when service starts New Orleans-Biloxi-Mobile. (See above.)

Ohio was offered $400 million or so in Stimulus funding to serve Columbus (Cleveland and Cincinnati, too), but CSX persuaded John Kasich to oppose it in his winning campaign for governor. Now the 3-C's route is remembered as a failure. Probably better to try another route next time, like Cleveland-Toledo-CHI, or Columbus-Ft Wayne-CHI, or even Cincinnati-Indianapolis-CHI before trying to revive the 3-C roadkill.

Mongomery-Birmingham seems a sure thing, soon as the pigs fly out of the state capitol. But Birmingham-Montgomery-Mobile-Biloxi-New Orleans has failed twice before because the three-state partnership had no loyalty. Birmingham-Montgomery-Dothan AL-Tallahassee-Jacksonville-Orlando might work better with only two states as partners. That Florida route contains two in-state segments that should support corridor service.

Now, to get the train to Birmingham to start toward Florida (or New Orleans), hmmmn. The Chattanooga Choo Choo could run NYC-D.C.-Roanoke-Bristol-Knoxville-Chattanooga-Birmingham, that's a way. Splitting the Crescent at Birmingham could be another (but splitting the Crescent at Meridien for Dallas-Ft Worth sort of competes with this idea). A second train NYC-Atlanta via Richmond-Raleigh-Charlotte-ATL-Birmingham-Montgomery might work. Or CHI-Indianapolis-Louisville-Nashville-Birmingham-Montgomery could work too, but that Nashville-Louisville-Midwest segment is a main line for CSX.

So lessee. Nashville-Louisville, hostile host. Nashville-Knoxville, too much abandoned trackage. Nashville-Chattanooga, detour required. Nashville-Birmingham, hostile host. Nashville-Memphis is doable. But where do Tennesseeans want to go from Nashville and Memphis? To metropolitan Little Rock? That's a tough sell.

Moving on. Annapolis looks to lie about 30 miles from BWI on the NEC or Baltimore Penn Station. Dover likewise is served by Wilmington. Concord sits between the Vermonter's route and the Downeaster, some 70 miles either way on good roads.

Looking at the glass as half full, thanks to the Stimulus funding we will soon see service improve on the Cascades to Olympia, the Lincoln Service to Springfield, the Blue Water to Lansing, the Piedmonts to Raleigh, the Springfield Shuttles to Hartford, and the several trains on the Empire Corridor to Albany. If we only had another $10 or $12 Billion of Stimulus to invest!

Nashville-Chattanooga, detour required.
Just for the sake of argument while we're dreaming, the CSX line is about as direct as you're going to get between Nashville and Chattanooga. Why would you need to detour (and where)?

If we only had another $10 or $12 Billion of Stimulus to invest!
If Congress could only stop playing politics for five minutes and actually advance the administration's agenda and pass legislation, we could yet see benefits from an infrastructure bill. Don't hold your breath, though.

I'm sorry. I should I have been a lot clearer. What I meant is that I wonder why Amtrak has been constantly cycling diners on the Meteor recently. Those cars aren't being seen on the Crescent, so clearly many cars are being taken out of service for short bouts. This might indicate reliability issues.
That has been standard operating procedure since the first viewliner bags rolled off the line. Their main mechanical base is on the Meteor's route so when they initial enter service, they stay on the route during the break in period. The 68001-68005 and the 8400 have all been used on the Crescent.

That has been standard operating procedure since the first viewliner bags rolled off the line. Their main mechanical base is on the Meteor's route so when they initial enter service, they stay on the route during the break in period. The 68001-68005 and the 8400 have all been used on the Crescent.
Got it. Thanks :D

Nashville-Chattanooga, detour required.
... the CSX line is about as direct as you're going to get between Nashville and Chattanooga.
Sorry. I misremembered the route as more L-shaped than it is. (Maybe I was thinking that Nashville-Knoxville would require a detour thru Chattanooga, as it would in fact.)

Still, there is that amusing detour into Alabama for what, 5 or 10 miles or so.
default_wink.png

Another day, another odd non-diner sleeper meal. It happened to be convenient to get home via the 449/64 combo (Boston/Albany/Croton). Since I have more miles than sense, I picked up a sleeper in Boston. The free sleeper lunch was service from the cafe car. I had my choice of one "entree" i.e. Amburger, wrap or pizza, one snack and one drink. I sprung $7.50 for a decent Stone IPA. The cafe was a combined business/cafe car so only had about 6 usable tables after the conductors spread out all their stuff. Probably should have taken it back to my room and let the coach passengers use them.

Very nice autumn leaves, especially around Pittsfield at sunset. I keep forgetting how pretty the streams along that route are as well.

Still haven't been in a new diner other than 8400. Headed down to Orlando in a few weeks, maybe then.

Since the diner is on the NY section, the Boston section receives lunch service in the cafe car. The split car is used because the BC is sold. When the sections were not joined in Albany, and the Boston leg was a stub with no sleeper, the BC section was a respite (usually) for the sleeper passengers until Albany

And since there's not enough damned diners at this point, the New York section gets a Cafe now too. Yay Egalitarianism!
default_wink.png

I will not ride any LD Amtrak train which doesn't have a proper diner car with cooked to order food.
Which would suggest that you won't be riding any Amtrak train
default_wink.png
Since afterall there is no Amtrak train at present that really serves cooked to order food
default_smile.png
Some are better at making it look like they are, than the others.

I will not ride any LD Amtrak train which doesn't have a proper diner car with cooked to order food.
Which would suggest that you won't be riding any Amtrak train
default_wink.png
Since afterall there is no Amtrak train at present that really serves cooked to order food
default_smile.png
Some are better at making it look like they are, than the others.
Aren't the scrambled eggs and omelettes cooked to order?

Yeah, just a few things. Most things are just reheated and served. Even the things cooked to order are basically prepackaged in a form that for each order a package is opened and cooked, with a few limited permitted variations, rather than items being prepared separately and uniquely allowing much more choice.

Back