Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw photos on FB, the three are a new Sleeper (#62500), a new Diner (#6800), and a new Bag-Dorm (#69001 in Amtrak America livery. It's on the Empire State Passenger Association FB group, and was shared to Amtrak Fans FB Group.

Interesting- Not exactly the same three as before. Same diner, Same sleeper, different bag-dorm! (69001 this time. 69000 came the first time around)

Just saw photos on FB, the three are a new Sleeper (#62500), a new Diner (#6800), and a new Bag-Dorm (#69001 in Amtrak America livery. It's on the Empire State Passenger Association FB group, and was shared to Amtrak Fans FB Group.
Charlie beat you to the post...
My bad. Did not intend to duplicate...I saw them on FB and looked back to see if anyone had mentioned. I missed Charlie's post.

What's with the door on the Baggage/Dorm? Heck, I could inspect cars better than that!

(Okay, after two minutes someone on the Facebook page said that it is protective wrapping. Still, you'd think they'd clean it up better than that.)

((And I'm also confused about the return of the pointless arrow. I thought we just spent 15 years getting rid of it.))

Last edited by a moderator:
What's with the door on the Baggage/Dorm? Heck, I could inspect cars better than that!

(Okay, after two minutes someone on the Facebook page said that it is protective wrapping. Still, you'd think they'd clean it up better than that.)

((And I'm also confused about the return of the pointless arrow. I thought we just spent 15 years getting rid of it.))
Well according to R30A, it is a newer Bag-Dorm, which has the new logo, as opposed to the original Diner and Sleeper which have the promotional pointless arrow the prototypes were painted with when they originally left CAF. So I assume that whenever they do leave they will have the new logo (as the newer Bag-Dorm shows) and they just never replaced the arrow logo on the original 2.

They are all looking great. I don't care what anyone says about Phase IIIb but it looks wonderful in my opinion. Also, based on the fact that the Bag-Dorm is not the original prototype but rather the first production Bag-Dorm (based on numbering and logo), could this mean that they are closer to being finished and will be the first out? Just a speculation. I assume they are easier since they have half the bedrooms and are half just baggage space.

They are all looking great. I don't care what anyone says about Phase IIIb but it looks wonderful in my opinion. Also, based on the fact that the Bag-Dorm is not the original prototype but rather the first production Bag-Dorm (based on numbering and logo), could this mean that they are closer to being finished and will be the first out? Just a speculation. I assume they are easier since they have half the bedrooms and are half just baggage space.
Diners are supposed to be next out.

Yeah I saw that, and I assume they are sticking to their plan as they are obviously the cars that are most needed first. I was just wondering why the Bag-Dorm seemed to be the first production one and not the original prototype.

Yeah I saw that, and I assume they are sticking to their plan as they are obviously the cars that are most needed first. I was just wondering why the Bag-Dorm seemed to be the first production one and not the original prototype.
Wild speculation: there was something *seriously* wrong with 69000 (still needs welding work or something) and it's still being fixed.Alternate wild speculation: there were *major* design changes made in the bag-dorms, with 69001 serving as the testbed for the revised interior, and 69000 hasn't been "back-converted" to the new interior yet.

Whatever. I'm now guessing that we get another release in April if all goes well. Might be as little as the other prototype for each type of car, or we might get the first serious release of dining cars.

Hopefully these will cut maintenance costs on the Heritage dining cars, which must be astronomical at this point.

Crew, but that means that there will be more space for passengers in the passenger cars, since the crew won't be taking up rooms.

On trains where there is space, I'd expect the rooms to be offered for sale, similar to the trans-dorms on the SL trains.

Crew, but that means that there will be more space for passengers in the passenger cars, since the crew won't be taking up rooms.

On trains where there is space, I'd expect the rooms to be offered for sale, similar to the trans-dorms on the SL trains.
Ah ok. So will these be going on all LDSL trains?

Ah ok. So will these be going on all LDSL trains?
No, there are only ten baggage-dorm Viewliner II cars on order.

Offically as of the last inspector general's report, there was only one train which was confirmed to be getting a bag-dorm. Unfortunately, there is no hard evidence as to what train that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back