Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was entirely a failure of the manufacturer to deliver what was contracted issue. But it was also mostly a New York managed fiasco.
A New York State DOT mis-manangement problem? You mean the NYSDOT that, at that time, was led by none other than Joseph H. Boardman? Just sayin'. :p

It was entirely a failure of the manufacturer to deliver what was contracted issue. But it was also mostly a New York managed fiasco.
A New York State DOT mis-manangement problem? You mean the NYSDOT that, at that time, was led by none other than Joseph H. Boardman? Just sayin'. :p
Yeah. He and his boss George Pataki. ;)

Speculation --- If Boardman and Pataki then why nothing was disclosed ? Maybe Boardman knew that OIG report coming out and reason for announced retirement.

Speculation --- If Boardman and Pataki then why nothing was disclosed ? Maybe Boardman knew that OIG report coming out and reason for announced retirement.
What do you mean nothing was disclosed. AFAIR there was the usual OIG report of some sort, there was discovery in a court case, and finally after several years of pissing more money away on lawyers, everyone thought discretion was the better part of valor and settled with some money changing hands and promise to share some more money if the defunct sets were sold and some money came in from such sale. I don't think any of it was directly blamed on Boardman or Pataki. As usual responsibility was carefully distributed in a diffused way so probably no one was culpably responsible. Sh*t just happens - was the attitude, and NY State taxpayers were out a bunch of money with nothing to show for it except some executive friends of Pataki probably marginally richer. Amtrak allegedly stole a bunch of sets from NY State according to some railfans, never mind that the sets were always owned by Amtrak to start with. And the usual band played on....And Empire Service continue with Amfleets, except for a brief appearance by one of the refurbished sets.

I don't believe Boardman's retirement has anything to do with the OIG report. He was planning to retire for a while now, and it finally happened.

Incidentally, pretty much from the get go, there were many of us who thought that it was going to end exactly the way it did. NY State instead of seeking out new equipment with upto date technology tried to get a cheap lipstick on a pig solution and got exactly what was coming to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is nothing about the delays in delivery until the OIG report disclosed the many reasons. Nothing came directly from Amtrak. Only question why did it take OIG so long to investigate ?

For reference the Turboliner III fiasco really wasn't Pataki's responsibility -- it was the pet project of some of our famously corrupt and incompetent state Senators. They absolutely, absolutely *insisted* that we should spend the money on trains instead of speeding up the tracks -- everyone including Pataki's DOT was telling them that we should speed up the tracks instead but they weren't listening. The state Senators involved are mostly retired or in prison for other crimes now.

I said this before, but here goes. I'll miss those old Budd diners. An end if an era. Rode the lsl three weeks ago, dinner and breakfasting in good ole 8505, a NP surviver. Rolling along like it was still 1957.

I think the train went up to get them, but I think they won't leave till tomorrow with the test cars till tomorrow.

Gene Poon report: MTK 123 and 520 are on their way to Elmira NY, reportedly to take

delivery (but not at the "acceptance" level) of new cars from CAF.

Since the baggage cars are all delivered, these should be the first
production Viewliner diners.

I've heard elsewhere that it'll be one each of the remaining car types (bag-dorm, sleeper, diner). No idea how reliable that is.
It's probably the 3 that had been sent out for testing before for a retesting after the changes were made.

Well I guess we'll find out, but either way the reaction from me is still "Ugh finally something!" Even if they are just for testing at least some progress.

I've heard elsewhere that it'll be one each of the remaining car types (bag-dorm, sleeper, diner). No idea how reliable that is.
It's probably the 3 that had been sent out for testing before for a retesting after the changes were made.
Although apparently this time it may be in service testing.

Gene Poon report: MTK 123 and 520 are on their way to Elmira NY, reportedly to take

delivery (but not at the "acceptance" level) of new cars from CAF.

Since the baggage cars are all delivered, these should be the first

production Viewliner diners.
and since it is a Gene Poon post, we all known the information is half baked or exaggerated. I'd post a correction, but TO would likely delete it...as they have done when I've corrected his misinformation.

Now, where have we seen this information before? Oh, I think it was in this thread:

I think some of you are getting the wrong impression. The "original three" will emerge for testing and return to the factory once testing is completed.

This isn't a revenue release.

Although apparently this time it may be in service testing.
Makes sense, especially for the diners. Unless they fill the diner with employees to eat the prepared meals. :D

Is the test run of the original three scheduled for today? And does anyone know what route they will be taking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back