Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that CAF is entering Super Steel territory. Any chance these cars go the way of the RTL-III Turboliners?

There are no new rumors or facts that have come to light of late that I am aware of. Usually if something was moving and there was a pulse discernible there are people from within Amtrak on this board that would give us a hint. None have been forthcoming so far.
pulse.gif

:ph34r: :ph34r:
Looks like that heart needs a few stents at least if not a CABG or two :)

Is this better?

gtdkuhg.gif

All eyes are on

306.jpg

:ph34r: :ph34r:

I have a similar one I downloaded, but it has a separate section at the bottom to reflect the leap years.I have a couple of Jewish calendars also, those get trickier because they are lunar based and dates move relative to a Gregorian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only vaguely more topical than Julian calendars, but at least Viewliner related.

There was a strange image on a news story about an Amtrak "Stowaway". He wasn't really a stowaway, but used stolen credit cards to buy Amtrak miles, then use the miles to buy rooms on the Capitol Limited.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/man-accused-of-living-as-a-stowaway-on-amtrak-trains/458790871

The story was typical local news fluff, but it included a very strange shot of Amtrak equipment. At about 1:01, there is a shot of the last four cars of a train. The first visible car is clearly the "Great Dome" car, now currently on the Adirondack and before that on Downeaster service. It is followed by (most likely) our old friend the 8400 dining car, and then two conventional Viewliner I sleepers. But there is something very odd about the rear end of the last sleeper. It is a quick shot, but it looks completely clear, and you can see something inside the train.

Obviously some very strange stock footage. Any idea what consist this is, and why the back of the train looks so odd?
Consist.jpg

I don't think that last car is a "conventional Viewliner I sleeper", but instead, one of the Viewliner prototypes that has been converted into an inspection car.

Edit: American View #10004?

AMTK%20American%20View%20end%2029%20Chciago%20IL%208-13-2014%20(2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the inspection car.

Wonder if this was the train that went along the old SL east route to gauge viability of starting a new service between NOL & JAX?

I was in 8400 a few weeks ago Northbound on the Crescent out of Atlanta. Not a great ride, but I never know whether it's the car or the track. Lot of firsts for me,

I had an ACS-64 i/o AEM-7 or HHP-8 and swapped for 2 units including Vets 42 in Washington, going home I had 8400 and the second unit was a P32-8 not a Genesis, and we swapped to Vets 642 in Washington.

I have been in 8400 on both the Silver Meteor and the Lakeshore Limited. I did not have any issues with the ride. I thoroughly enjoyed the diner - especially since I lucked out on being on the Lakeshore Limited on its "inaugural run."

So it is likely to have been rough track rather than the car. That's good to hear. Overall it was a pretty good trip. Lot's of UK residents trying to get to NY to go home on the Queen Mary, they came inland to the Crescent because the Florida trains were in trouble from the storm.

So it is likely to have been rough track rather than the car. That's good to hear. Overall it was a pretty good trip. Lot's of UK residents trying to get to NY to go home on the Queen Mary, they came inland to the Crescent because the Florida trains were in trouble from the storm.
Or it could have been that during your ride it was near the next maintenance cycle and indeed the shocks needed an adjustment while penny rode it immediately after maintenance fresh out of shop too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back