Viewliner Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullman

Train Attendant
I noticed that on the 2/24/12 southbound Silver Star consist, the Viewliners were on the rear of the train followed by the baggage car. Are they going back to having the sleepers in the rear again?

Maybe yes. I was on the Meteor and Star on Jan 13 & 14, and both had the sleepers and baggage cars on the rear! (In fact, at NYP they had to pull the train forward in the station because the baggage car was beyond the end of the platform and could not be loaded!
laugh.gif
)

I noticed that on the 2/24/12 southbound Silver Star consist, the Viewliners were on the rear of the train followed by the baggage car. Are they going back to having the sleepers in the rear again?
It is a seasonal thing done so that the viewliners can easily be rotated south. Otherwise they freeze up - read the plumbing stops working - if left in the north all winter. The baggage car is put at the rear to help reduce the 'tail wagging' they are prone to do when at the rear of the train. Look at the link here: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbersconsist-listings/ about 'line numbers' it shows the different consists.

Thanks for the replies. We've traveled on the Silver Service lines to and from Florida before with the sleepers in the front behind the baggage car and in the rear (without the baggage car on the end). We were the first sleeper in the consist, so I didn't notice the 'tail wagging' but did notice the horn wasn't as loud, which was nice at night when my Wife & I were sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back