Travel Voucher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
I'm just a newbie, but didn't realize that you had to present your Amtrak voucher face to face at a station to use it. (We got a voucher this past winter for a problem with our roomette.) I thought I could give them the voucher info over the phone. I just made a reservation over the phone, and was told we had to go to a station within the next week to pay for the reservation using the voucher.

When I explained that the nearest station is 3 hours away, the Amtrak agent said I could go to any travel agent, have them pull up my reservation #, present the voucher there. and pay for the trip that way.

Has anyone ever done this with a travel agent? Just wanting to make sure I got correct information.

Thanks!

Cindy

I'm just a newbie, but didn't realize that you had to present your Amtrak voucher face to face at a station to use it. (We got a voucher this past winter for a problem with our roomette.) I thought I could give them the voucher info over the phone. I just made a reservation over the phone, and was told we had to go to a station within the next week to pay for the reservation using the voucher. When I explained that the nearest station is 3 hours away, the Amtrak agent said I could go to any travel agent, have them pull up my reservation #, present the voucher there. and pay for the trip that way.

Has anyone ever done this with a travel agent? Just wanting to make sure I got correct information.

Thanks!

Cindy
Unless you have a friend that is a travel agent they would most likely charge you a service charge for doing this.

Yes, that's one f the bad things about getting a voucher! (That you have to present it in person. :( ) I have a manned station 4 miles away, so I can't confirm this, but I heard that you could tell the res agent that you would be using a voucher, and they will give you an address where you could mail it. I think I also heard that if you explain your situation that you might be able to use it at the station on the day of your travel to pay for the ticket(s).

I would be a little hesitant about paying for them (either partially or in total) with a voucher at a travel agency. Many do not know how to process them correctly.

Yep, I have had (and continue to occasionally have) the same problem. :rolleyes:

Amtrak really needs to come up with a better and more customer friendly method for redeeming their vouchers. Just think of it. you probably got the voucher because something went wrong. Attempting to redeem the voucher under the current rules, serves no purpose other than to make you re-visit your original anger with Amtrak.

Now, having wrote all that, let me say call Customer Service. I found them to be extremely helpful. They will make your reservation for you, and put in on "hold". You then send Customer Service your voucher, they will finalize your reservation, and send back to you, your tickets. It is no nice to talk with people at Amtrak that truly want to help, and I have found, their Customer Service to always take that extra step to do what's reasonable and right.

Yep, I have had (and continue to occasionally have) the same problem. :rolleyes:
Amtrak really needs to come up with a better and more customer friendly method for redeeming their vouchers. Just think of it. you probably got the voucher because something went wrong. Attempting to redeem the voucher under the current rules, serves no purpose other than to make you re-visit your original anger with Amtrak.

Now, having wrote all that, let me say call Customer Service. I found them to be extremely helpful. They will make your reservation for you, and put in on "hold". You then send Customer Service your voucher, they will finalize your reservation, and send back to you, your tickets. It is no nice to talk with people at Amtrak that truly want to help, and I have found, their Customer Service to always take that extra step to do what's reasonable and right.

It would seem to me that given the fact that vouchers are in your name and bear a distinct voucher number, Amtrak could process them electronically (have the reservation agent input your name and the voucher number) to secure payment and then have you show them on date of travel. I am sure their IT Department could program that functionality for vouchers, but it doesn't sound like they are there yet. You would then present the voucher and ID on departure. Absent that, it creates a problem when you use vouchers because many reservations have to be paid for in a short period of time and without payment, the reservation cancels. For some, the inconvenience is a long drive to the closest Amtrak station. For others like me, its is the fact that the local station is only open odd hours (10PM-5:30 AM). Like you said, the impediments to using the vouchers add insult to injury (frustration with the original service disruption). Nobody said long distance train travel is always convenient; but then weigh the infrequent inconvenience against the often inconvenient airport hassles and airline rules.

Thanks for all the fast replies. It does seem like a hassle to redeem the voucher...I remember reading a past thread here about how you couldn't book on Amtrak's website and use your voucher, but I didn't think doing it with an agent over the phone would be a problem. I assumed I could read them the serial number of the voucher, and they would see it in their system somehow, and apply it to my reservation. Guess that would be too easy!! ;)

I just got off the phone with another live agent, Customer Service is only there Mon-Fri. So I will call first thing in the morning. But, the agent just told me..."well, customer relations should be able to take care of your voucher electronically when you call..." Hmmm...I'll let ya know how this all turns out!

Cindy

Amtrak really needs to come up with a better and more customer friendly method for redeeming their vouchers.
Amtrak? How about the airlines.

Amtrak has excuses, but airlines do not. I still get paper vouchers from some airlines, and have to go to an airport to buy a ticket with them.

Amtrak really needs to come up with a better and more customer friendly method for redeeming their vouchers.

Amtrak has excuses, but airlines do not. I still get paper vouchers from some airlines, and have to go to an airport to buy a ticket with them.
If you had to take a paper voucher to an airport, you're flying the wrong airline.

If you had to take a paper voucher to an airport, you're flying the wrong airline.
I don't know if it was intentional pun or not, but I got a chuckle out of your statement. I never heard of an airline using planes out of paper vouchers before! :lol:

This may or may not be relevant:

I received a voucher for a bedroom booked with AGR points in the fall of 2008 and was able to get a refund by mailing the voucher to AGR support.

This may or may not be relevant:
I received a voucher for a bedroom booked with AGR points in the fall of 2008 and was able to get a refund by mailing the voucher to AGR support.
Would I be correct in presuming that you already had your reservation made when you received the voucher, and that's what made you eligible for the refund?

Hmmm...

Ok - so I have a $15 voucher. I want to use it on my trip to Richmond VA this Summer. Total cost is around $170 - payable before I get a reservation number if I reserve online. But I don't want to pick up the tickets prior to the trip because of the 10% penalty. Any way to pay full price online and ask for the $15 credit to my credit card when I go pick up the ticket on day of travel?

Ugh.

Follow-up to my voucher story: I contacted Customer Relations this morning, spoke with a helpful lady, and she gave me all the particulars about how, where and who to mail my voucher to. (Certified mail for safety!) I was to include a note stating that we were not near a manned station, and provide name, address, phone #, reservation #, and the ISS # printed on the voucher.

She says when she receives the voucher, she will call me and then tickets can be purchased for the reservation we have "on hold" and credit will be given for the voucher. Also she extended the time frame our reservation will be held...until April 17th, but I mailed it straight away today. So hopefully all will work out.

As an aside, yesterday when I made the reservation over the phone, I requested an email confirmation...glad I did. I had specified the SWC from GBB to CHI, but the email had us riding the Illinois Zephyr instead. So I guess it pays to double check.

Thanks, everybody for the input.

Cindy

Ok - so I have a $15 voucher. I want to use it on my trip to Richmond VA this Summer. Total cost is around $170 - payable before I get a reservation number if I reserve online. But I don't want to pick up the tickets prior to the trip because of the 10% penalty. Any way to pay full price online and ask for the $15 credit to my credit card when I go pick up the ticket on day of travel?
You never have to pay the 10% penalty if you're willing to take a voucher good for future travel for the whole $170, AFAIK.

It probably wouldn't hurt to write to Joseph Boardman about this issue, but I'm not sure that solves your immediate problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator note: this is a reply to a topic dormant for three years. However, the issue mentioned is timely.

It appears to me redeeming an evoucher has gotten more complicated with the introduction of etickets. Is Amtrak management trying to cheat customers out of refunds by creating such a complicated mess that a significant percentage of evouchers will expire before the customer is able to use them?

Consider our case. We regularly travel between Connecticut and Boston. Amtrak does not stop at the nearest RR station. We take a commuter train to Bridgeport to get on Amtrak. But there are no Amtrak ticket agents at Bridgeport either, only a ticket machine. Before August, I was making my reservations more than two weeks in advance of travel. To get a reservation, I have to pay by credit card. Now we don't get a reservation number, but rather Amtrak sends me etickets by email.

Recently I ended up in the hospital emergency room. My wife changed the reservations, but Amtrak ticket agent on the phone charged her extra. When I went to South Station and showed our driving licenses to prove that we are seniors and eligible for senior discounts, I was issued an evoucher.

How am I supposed to use the evoucher to pay for a future trip? If I wait until we get to Boston to present the evoucher for our return trip, the fare will be higher than we usually pay, won't it? If I pay by credit card when I make the reservation, as I usually do, they will not give me a refund, they will give me another evoucher, won't they? How do I break out of this vicious cycle?

Last edited:
I agree, the voucher system is broken. Well, it's not broken really, it's just stuck in 1971. With Delta, vouchers are assigned to my FF number. While I have a paper copy, I never need to use it. I just book a flight, link the e-certificate to my reservation being booked, and I'm done. So simple even a cavan can do it. But not Amtrak....Ironic too, If they did this, they would certainly save on costs processing and moving around all that paper. They step over dollars to pick up dimes every day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
How am I supposed to use the evoucher to pay for a future trip? If I wait until we get to Boston to present the evoucher for our return trip, the fare will be higher than we usually pay, won't it? If I pay by credit card when I make the reservation, as I usually do, they will not give me a refund, they will give me another evoucher, won't they? How do I break out of this vicious cycle?
I'm not sure of the actual timetable, but eventually one will be able to use the eVoucher via the online system.

I realize that doesn't help you right now. It may also be possible to call up Amtrak customer service and have them process the voucher for you by phone, or at least put a reservation on hold for you until you can visit the station and turn in the voucher.

I'm not sure of the actual timetable, but eventually one will be able to use the eVoucher via the online system.

I realize that doesn't help you right now. It may also be possible to call up Amtrak customer service and have them process the voucher for you by phone, or at least put a reservation on hold for you until you can visit the station and turn in the voucher.
The website is very clear that these new e-vouchers canNOT be redeemed by phone, presently. I would assume, however, that if one called amtrak that they could do an unpaid reservation, just as Alan suggests above. This would still mean that someone in Bridgeport would need to drive to Stamford (or the closest staffed station) to turn in said voucher.

The website is very clear that these new e-vouchers canNOT be redeemed by phone, presently. I would assume, however, that if one called amtrak that they could do an unpaid reservation, just as Alan suggests above. This would still mean that someone in Bridgeport would need to drive to Stamford (or the closest staffed station) to turn in said voucher.
Yes, the normal agents cannot process eVouchers by phone, their system RailRes does not at this time allow for that. Not sure if there are plans to change that.

But customer service has in the past been able to handle paper vouchers that phone agents also could not handle. And customer service agents can do things that regular phone agents cannot do. Hence my suggestion to speak with a CS agent, as they may in this case be able to handle the voucher since the Mr. Goode (OP) does not live near a station where he can easily turn in the eVoucher. They used to make exceptions for those not living near a station and may still be able to do so.

At the very least, I believe that a CS agent would be able to book the OP with a fully paid reservation from Bridgeport to Boston. Then book the return trip with a partial payment by credit that does not expire, such that upon getting to Boston the OP would be able to turn in his eVoucher to an agent to fully pay for and receive the return tickets.

I made a eservation a while back and paid for it on my credit card. Then I found a voucher, so I took the voucher to a manned station (10 minutes away) and the clerk credit my credit card with the amount of the voucher.

If I had livedfar from a manned station I think I would have redeemed the vouchers just prior to boarding. Is that a plan? assuming I'm boarding at a manned station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back