Things to do in Chicago on a Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amber Eidem

I am heading there from KC, MO by train and docking by 3pm and have a layover of 7hrs in November. I have a 3yr old and a 13yr old with me and without my husband. I want to do some fun things with the girls while there that's not too pricy and not too far from the Amtrak. We plan to walk the cold November streets! What's there to do that's not expensive?

I am heading there from KC, MO by train and docking by 3pm and have a layover of 7hrs in November. I have a 3yr old and a 13yr old with me and without my husband. I want to do some fun things with the girls while there that's not too pricy and not too far from the Amtrak. We plan to walk the cold November streets! What's there to do that's not expensive?

The 103rd floor observation deck at the Willis (Formerly Sears) Tower is good for killing 2-3 hours of the layover..... between the video, the displays, and the elevator ride up. It's just a block from Union Station and my 7-year old daughter found it to be the highlight of our time in Chicago when we arrived there off the Southwest Chief in July.

Cost for a family of three will be about $45.00.

You might consider a cab ride over to the Field Museum (dinosaurs and mummies) as well. That's a walkable destination for a teenager but I don't believe I'd try that with a 3-year old...... particularly on a weekday where you would be walking through the loop area at the beginning of rush hour.

Hi,

You might consider a visit to Navy Pier which has a free indoor tropical plant area (warm!) and other attractions such as a hall of mirrors, outdoor ferris wheel, etc. The easy thing is that you can catch a CTA bus number 148 right outside the train station and that terminates at Navy Pier. The bus fare is just a couple of $ each way.

A 151 bus will take you from the station down Michigan Ave, and you can visit the Watertower, or go to the top of the nearby Hancock Tower... not as high as the Sears/Willis tower near the station, but maybe less costly? Again, the fare is around $2 each way. Millenium Park on the lakefront is great, free too, with a massive reflecting "silver bean" sculpture, I think most kids would be impressed with that. Again, the 151 bus is one way to get to the Millenium Park, it is walkable, but a long trek. They had ice skating there too on an outdoor rink on my last USA visit, not sure when that is up and running.

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

You might consider a visit to Navy Pier which has a free indoor tropical plant area (warm!) and other attractions such as a hall of mirrors, outdoor ferris wheel, etc. The easy thing is that you can catch a CTA bus number 148 right outside the train station and that terminates at Navy Pier. The bus fare is just a couple of $ each way.

A 151 bus will take you from the station down Michigan Ave, and you can visit the Watertower, or go to the top of the nearby Hancock Tower... not as high as the Sears/Willis tower near the station, but maybe less costly? Again, the fare is around $2 each way. Millenium Park on the lakefront is great, free too, with a massive reflecting "silver bean" sculpture, I think most kids would be impressed with that. Again, the 151 bus is one way to get to the Millenium Park, it is walkable, but a long trek. They had ice skating there too on an outdoor rink on my last USA visit, not sure when that is up and running.

Ed :cool:
The Navy Pier bus is 124. The 148 is a rush-hour express bus (that doesn't go anywhere near Union Station or Navy Pier) and is slated for elimination in December.

All good suggestions above. The Federal Reserve Bank has a free self guided tour. It is on Jackson Blvd across from the Chicago Board of Trade.

Depending on how cold and windy, you could also hike up Michigan Ave on the "Magnificent Mile". The intersection of Jackson Blvd. and Michigan Avenue is the east end of Historic US 66 "The Mother Road".

If you have never eaten pierogis, try Pierogi Heaven on North Wells. The El runs over Wells at this point.

Are you taking the Lake Shore Limited? The train that leaves at 9:30PM?

Navy Pier is great for kids, but the rides will be super cold in November. It would still be a lot of fun, though.

I second the recommendation for Sears Tower.

If you take a bus farther up Michigan Ave, there's a Hershey store and Ghirardhelli's in close proximity to the Water Tower. You could also go the Hancock Building observatory, which, while not *quite* as high as the Sears Tower, I think it has the best view of Chicago, and the line isn't nearly as long. I believe it's a ten-floor difference (96th vs 106th).

There's the American Girl store on Michigan Ave, which would be fun if they don't beg for lots of dolls and accessories. ;) It's a pretty cool place for little girls.

You could also go to Millennium Park and take pictures in front of the Bean.

The Art Institute is less than a mile from the station but only open to 5pm except Thursday open until 8. My 6-8 yo kids liked it.

A short EL ride anywhere and back will please the kids - the older will learn quick and the younger will love the new experience. That was how it was for my kids anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Art Institute is less than a mile from the station but only open to 5pm except Thursday open until 8. My 6-8 yo kids liked it.

A short EL ride anywhere and back will please the kids - the older will learn quick and the younger will love the new experience. That was how it was for my kids anyhow.
But the L (Chicagoan name) dosen't go to Union Station and the walk would be cold! It's also slow and crowded during rush hour, exactly the hours the OP is trying to spend. However, it is still cool to ride.

But the L (Chicagoan name) dosen't go to Union Station and the walk would be cold! It's also slow and crowded during rush hour, exactly the hours the OP is trying to spend. However, it is still cool to ride.
Oh bother, bother, bother. Yeah Chicago is cold and windy. So take a random L ride -- or visit the public library -- super plus good library. And there's lots of good feeding places near the station. And get to the lake front if you can - the parks there -- good.

Walk east along Jackson Blvd. from Union Station and check out Garrett's Popcorn Shop at 27 West Jackson Blvd.

Continue east on Jackson Blvd. until you get to the Art Institute of Chicago just past Michigan Ave. Both are food for body and mind!

The L isn't that far from Union Station. It takes us just a few minutes to walk to the Quincy stop; plus, the view of the river is really pretty, so it's a nice walk. As long as the kids have coats on, they'll be fine. They're planning to walk around anyway. I would imagine the OP has an umbrella stroller for the four-year old.

For those having an all day layover or for those resting for a night in CHI before heading West, you can buy something called a GO PASS that allows you to see attractions at a good discount. You can select specific attractions, or buy a one day all inclusive admission pass. When we visit CHI we usually buy the go pass and it has saved us money.

This suggestion won’t work for your trip because you are getting into Chicago too late in the afternoon, but for other travelers it might work. Take a cab to the Hancock building and have lunch in the Signature Room, which is on the 95th floor.

The Signature Room is just one floor below the main observation floor, so the views are just as good. The advantage is that the views in the Signature Room are free as long as you are dining there. While the dinner menu is pricey, the lunch menu is reasonable by Chicago standards. I have found the views to be excellent and the atmosphere very relaxing.

The main limitation is that lunch is served only from 11 AM to 2:30 PM, then it closes until dinner starts at 5:00 PM.

Enjoy!

The L isn't that far from Union Station. It takes us just a few minutes to walk to the Quincy stop; plus, the view of the river is really pretty, so it's a nice walk. As long as the kids have coats on, they'll be fine. They're planning to walk around anyway. I would imagine the OP has an umbrella stroller for the four-year old.
Uh, yes yes it is. It is walkable but its not CLOSE.
Its hard to find Union Station from El Station too.

I think the trouble or difficulty of the walk depends on the fitness of the traveler and the state of the prevailing weather more than the actual distance. I've made that walk when it felt like a nice casual stroll or a mad dash for warmth or even a hot and muggy death march. For folks who measure the world in in kilometers I'd consider it a pretty short trip. But for folks who make a habit of coddling their kids or who drive their car to the mailbox it's probably one heck of a long slog. In any case I consider Chicago to be a wonderful backdrop compared to many cities and I enjoy just walking along the streets regardless of my destination. Even if it's too hot or too cold to make it the whole way you can simply walk until you're tired and then catch a train or a taxi the rest of the way. Or take a taxi to the train for that matter. No matter how you want to do it Chicago probably has something that will work for you.

My favorite thing to do on a 7 hr layover is RUSH TO THE NEXT TRAIN. LOL. Seriously, I've had a couple of 5, 6, 7 hour layovers in Chicago, and my average actual layover time was around 2 hours. Barely enough time to leave the station and get a Chicago Dog (though I really liked the one IN the station).

Its hard to find Union Station from El Station too.
By Chicago standards, it's close. :p If the OP is planning to do stuff with the kids all day, a walk across the river to the Quincy stop is peanuts compared to walking up and down Michigan Ave, and a ride around the Loop would be really fun for them. Alternately, there are buses that go from Union Station to various L stops around the Loop if schlepping the kids proves to be difficult or the weather is bad (that's also why I suggested an umbrella stroller).

Additionally, it's not hard to find Union Station from the L. True, there aren't any signs posted, but anyone with a phone or map can find Union Station very easily. It's right across the river from the Sears Tower. That's why so many people suggest going to the Sears Tower during a layover. It's pretty hard to miss it. ;) Pre-cell phone, I always used it as a landmark when I traveled in/out of Union Station.

I think the trouble or difficulty of the walk depends on the fitness of the traveler and the state of the prevailing weather more than the actual distance. I've made that walk when it felt like a nice casual stroll or a mad dash for warmth or even a hot and muggy death march. For folks who measure the world in in kilometers I'd consider it a pretty short trip. But for folks who make a habit of coddling their kids or who drive their car to the mailbox it's probably one heck of a long slog. In any case I consider Chicago to be a wonderful backdrop compared to many cities and I enjoy just walking along the streets regardless of my destination. Even if it's too hot or too cold to make it the whole way you can simply walk until you're tired and then catch a train or a taxi the rest of the way. Or take a taxi to the train for that matter. No matter how you want to do it Chicago probably has something that will work for you.
I've done it before and I agree that it's not a long slog. All I meant was that it would be cold.

Many good suggestions - a lot depends on your arrival time - thanks for the many good ideas posted.

As for food - so many very good places.

The Sears (Willis) Tower is a major attraction, as is Navy Pier - but for me and my kids (we did this in the 90's - sorry you won't get so see a Cubs game this time of year) and we did this in the 2000's - if the Art institute is open - go there.

Visiting the Museum of Science and Industry is possible, but would be cutting it close. We did it in the limited free time after my kid graduated Navy Boot Camp - but it was stressful to get there and back in time. IF you had a whole day I would recommend the visit.

Ride the EL - the kids will love it.

Chicago will be cold and windy in November -- but my kids loved it as an adventure the last few time we were there.

I LOVE this thread! I have about a 6.5 hour layover coming up this weekend and I've been trying to figure out how to spend it. Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping to have time to go to the Shedd Aquarium for a bit, before my 3pm train.

Underneath the El on North Wells St. is a little hole-in-the-wall place called Pierogi Heaven.

Since we left PA seven years ago we had not had a good pierogi. We managed to eat about a dozen between the two of us between our arrival on the EB and our departure on the LSL in May.

Across from the Chicago Board of Trade on Jackson Blvd. is the Federal Reserve Bank. They have a free self guided tour.

The Shedd Aquarium is too far to walk from Union Station.

True, but there is reasonable public transportation to get you there in under 30 minutes. Also a cab is always an option. It all depends on how long of a layover a person has, but it is still a good option, especially for visitors with families.

True, but there is reasonable public transportation to get you there in under 30 minutes. Also a cab is always an option. It all depends on how long of a layover a person has, but it is still a good option, especially for visitors with families.
It's easiest during the summer, when there's the dedicated #130 bus from Union Station.

Otherwise, you're looking at walking/taking the L (Red, Orange, or Green Line,) exiting at the Roosevelt Road/Museum Campus station, and then transferring to the #146 Museum Campus bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back