The one device you can't be without on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
For me it's a tossup between my Iphone and Ipad Mini, probably the mini though because it's my entertainment device while the phone is more for practical/communication needs. And while I'm on the train I expect to have plenty of time for fun and I'm busy downloading as much as I can for the trip: books, music, apps, games.

What is yours?

My phone. It's internet, books, games, camera, video, music, TV/movies, tickets, and travel info all rolled into one.

If I had an iPad, I'd probably say that. I like the idea of having everything my phone has but with a larger screen. I don't like hauling my laptop on trips, but I do since there are some things that require a larger screen and a real keyboard. An iPad would be the perfect compromise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't keep it to just one....if I did, it would be the plain "dumb" flip phone - but I take it as well as a 7" Android tablet which serves more functions than I'll list here...

And I bring a real book or two since it they're immune to tech failures. And a headlamp.

Ipad (either the full size, or mini, depending on mood and what I plan to be doing),laptop and the Iphone. My ipads aren't the 3-4/G, so I use my phone as a mobile hot-spot, with those, there isn't much I can't do on a train, that I can't do at the office. I travel mostly for work, so I tend to spend a good portion of a trip burried in emails and spreadsheets.

How about neither--enjoy the scenery instead of burying your face in an electronic device. If worst comes to worst, read a book

It's not a device, but my hat is important to bring... with not much hair, the icy overhead blasts from the air con are a real challenge to my comfort, especially when trying to sleep in coach! Device wise, a camera and laptop are top for me.

Ed :cool:

It is nice to have some music along in the form of an iPod and headphones. But I don't think there is any device that cannot do without. OTOH, if I do have a device like iPhone I do make very good use of it as opportunities arise.

1. Scanner - close the door, unplug the headphones, watch the scenery and listen.

2. Video camera - bringing home gigs upon gigs of video to edit extends the trip for many months... Sometimes even years (still have footage coming home from Gathering V that hasn't been touched yet).

A blanket to snuggle with during the day. A book and maybe smart phone to use occasionally.

Sometimes it's dark, and corn is boring.
As the Folks who Ride the train through Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska and, Ahem, Texas Know!!! :lol:
Bingo. I've been on the Wolverine so many times I have the trees memorized, and I usually read or play computer games with Brent on the SWC the first day/night (from Chicago) since it's just corn, corn, corn, and more corn. Once we hit CO/NM, I stare out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it's dark, and corn is boring.
I'll grant the dark, but I admit a sick fascination with crop lands. Watching the spread of short-season corn into North Dakota. Seeing where farmers have planted flax (is there anything more lovely than a flax field in bloom, with the wind blowing through the pale blue blossoms under the endless blue sky?) or rapeseed (yellow blossoms), rather than wheat. Even in the flat lands of eastern Montana (a place Mrs. Ispolkom regards as being hours of boring yellow field, brown field, yellow field,etc.) there is always the eternal question of whether there's enough rain, or too much. Does it look like the salt is being drawn up more?

I'll admit that some of this comes from strategies for staying alert while driving endless distances through spaces most people find desolate, but in my overconnected life, I now treasure occasions to contemplate silent landscapes.

Of course, a little gin helps, so I'll say that second to the window the most useful thing is the cocktail shaker.

When I am travelling for pleasure its my scanner and an extra blanket. When I am on-board for Trails & Rails its the topography maps and a GPS. (we cant have scanners while "on duty"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back