The one device you can't be without on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camera. iPhone for audiobooks and podcasts, iPad for movies late at night if regular books aren't holding my attention.

But the Camera is the most important.

For me it's my phone as it is also my camera, kindle, and audiobook device among other functions. I've noticed that I don't like to read on the train so will usually listen to whatever audiobook I've got going at that point. The only other thing I absolutely must have is my wallet. I won't step one foot on or off the train without my phone and wallet just in case something goes wrong.

I bring books, an iPod and a stopwatch: Books for when it is dark, the iPod to help drown out screaming kids and/or the person across the aisle who is yakking on his cell phone for hours on end, and the stopwatch for timing mileposts and calculating speed (especially on the Wolverine west of KAL!).

Its my Windows phone that on LD trips connects me with news from the outside world. I use it as a phone,and a wireless hot-spot to enjoy my mini-laptop (netbook) as well. Trouble is that outside the cities and towns connections can sometimes be sparse.

294.jpg

iPad 3G with Bluetooth keyboard for writing as well as emailing and ebook reading, plus two camera bodies and three lenses. This would suffice for a round-the-world trip, if I ever could afford to take one.

I don't know about you but the best device on an Amtrak train is a functional engine, that or a toilet.

On my last trip I had my Ipad for the first time, I loved having it on the train. I could watch movies, play games. It fits in my purse, easy to store and take with me.

During the day I like to watch the scenery but when it gets dark there isn't much to look at.

Scanner. There is no substitute for one if something bad happens. Unfortunately you can't count on the onboard crew making any helpful or informative announcements.

I always take my laptop, camera and vintage 2005 Razor phone. Of these I'd pick the camera. But after my recent cross country trip I think a railroad scanner would be number one. The crew of the Cardinal all turrned theirs down when we sat for 5 hours just past the station platform outside Chicago. Having a clue as to what was really going on would help.

Scanner. There is no substitute for one if something bad happens. Unfortunately you can't count on the onboard crew making any helpful or informative announcements.
Having just said the same thing.....and crew acting the same....what are the rules around scanners and the regular public????

Not one but maybe a few. An upcoming trip in two weeks aboard the SWC will have a couple books; Murder on the Orient Express and one of Paul Theroux's books The Old Patagonia Express, my AM/FM radio and a writing pad since I don't have any of the affore mentioned electronics and my Olympus film camera kit; OM-1n, 50mm, 28mm & 100mm lenses.

I only need my camera, for overnight trips I bring eye shades and a big headphone just to plug the ears. I'm trying to buy a video camera.

I always look out the window whenever possible. Plains are cool to me, as long as I'm going fast. Slow speeds are boring for me, even if the scenery is great, I like to feel like I'm really moving! On the Woofer, I like looking out at traffic.

A SLR camera to play with and hoping to get an excellent shot, not point and shoot in a basic way.
Being a die hard 35mm SLR film guy (Pentax K1000 was my favorite...all manual) I refused to go digital. But by the time I took my cross country trip, 2011, a 35mm film camera was not the answer. Surprisingly I found the Nikon Coolpix to be a great little camera. No SLR film camera but also fit into a shirt pocket and I could shoot 1000's of photos at a time. This camera converted me.....all my SLR film cameras sit in a closet now, No going back....

To stay on topic....Fullerton si cool....no LA Union....but a cool old station.

Fullerton Ca

DSCN1658-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just said the same thing.....and crew acting the same....what are the rules around scanners and the regular public????
Headphones of course; and don't go around broadcasting what you've just heard on the scanner.

And personally, I keep mine clipped to my belt under my shirt, such that no one really even knows that I have one. That's more of a suggestion; not a requirement.

Scanners go under the rules about audio entertainment, so use headphones/earplugs (I use an earplug in one ear). Federal law allows monitoring transmissions, but formally forbids disclosing the content of transmissions to third parties. Use your discretion. I'll tell someone about where we are, if they ask, based on things like detector transmissions, but not much else. Many times, the SCAs, knowing I have a scanner, will come to me and ask what is going on if we are mysteriously stopped. Since they are Amtrak employees, I'll tell them, but not other pax.

Scanners go under the rules about audio entertainment, so use headphones/earplugs (I use an earplug in one ear). Federal law allows monitoring transmissions, but formally forbids disclosing the content of transmissions to third parties. Use your discretion. I'll tell someone about where we are, if they ask, based on things like detector transmissions, but not much else. Many times, the SCAs, knowing I have a scanner, will come to me and ask what is going on if we are mysteriously stopped. Since they are Amtrak employees, I'll tell them, but not other pax.
Have to wonder about the not disclosing - what would the difference be btwn someone disclosing what they heard and everyone having a scanner and hearing it firsthand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back