Texas Eagle Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I am investigating taking the train from Chicago to Tucson or Tucson to Chicago later this year. I assume the Texas Eagle is actually the Sunset Ltd on the part from San Antonio to Tucson, or reverse.

I note on the schedule that there is about a 9-10 hour layover in San Antonio going eastbound (a little shorter going westbound). Are there through cars or do you have to change and wait in the station?

The eastbound layover is pretty much through the night. Can you stay on and sleep the entire time?

Is there a better route to get to Tucson from Chicago (time isn't a problem)?

Thanks!!!

Assuming that all trains are on time, then yes you can remain on board the train during the layover in San Antonio. Assuming that you don't miss the rocking of the train, you may even be able to stay asleep. If the east bound Sunset is particularly late, then you could get bussed to San Antonio. However, since the time change last April, that hasn't happened very often if ever.

Just make sure that you are booked on 421/422, as those are the cars that run through. If your tickets read 21/22, then you will be changing trains in San Antonio and hanging out in the station.

AlanB said:
If the east bound Sunset is particularly late, then you could get bussed to San Antonio. However, since the time change last April, that hasn't happened very often if ever.
It's happened a couple of times this month, when Union Pacific, despite an extra 4-8 hours to get the train over the road, still couldn't manage to get the train within a half a day of schedule.

If the east bound Sunset is particularly late, then you could get bussed to San Antonio.
Where do you get bused from? Depends on where you are when they make the decision to do it, I guess??

MrFSS said:
If the east bound Sunset is particularly late, then you could get bussed to San Antonio.
Where do you get bused from? Depends on where you are when they make the decision to do it, I guess??
Yes, it would depend on how late it is and where it lost the time. A week ago they bussed all the way from El Paso to Fort Worth when the Sunset was running about 13 hours late by El Paso. Those were some exceptional circumstances, but the answer really is... it depends.

Back