Superliner vs. Viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
I've only ridden routes that use a Superliner, and love everything about it. Soon I will want to take trains east but I'm afraid I will be disappointed in the Viewliner. Are the windows just as large as the Superliner? I know I will miss being up higher, and I know I will not like having the toilet right next to my bed......(I'll pile it up with other stuff, and use other toilets if I can find some.) Any other differences I haven't mentioned?

The rooms themselves are nicer, in my opinion. If you don't mind the toilet/sink in the room (or if you are able to use one in a lounge car/coach car), then pretty much everything in a Viewliner roomette is nicer than in a Superliner roomette.

The downsides are a lack of good luggage storage space (there's a cubby above the sink, if you can reach it, that can hold your luggage, but you have to be able to lift it up high) and the fact that there is no good single-level lounge car.

Otherwise, the layout is the same, size is similar (Viewliner rooms are taller). Viewliner main level windows are about the same size as Superliner windows, but you also have the second level of windows.

If Im going coach, I prefer the Superliners, they are a bit more spacious build wise. Bigger windows as well.

If in a sleeper, I have to give the nod to the Viewliners, they feel more open than the Superliner roomettes do.

I think you will be ok on the Viewliners. I only rode Superliners previously as well. I recently rode the Crescent *sleeper*, and the LSL *coach* for the first time.

I definately prefer the viewliner over the superliner. Of course I'm one who likes a private toilet even if it's close to the bed (when traveling with two, one just steps into the hall for a few minutes). There is a space opposite the toilet that's flat with a belt where you can secure one backpack or small suitcase, I'm pretty sure the superliners have that too. When traveling with my husband he usually keeps the other backpack or small suitcase at his feet during the night to allow room to get up and use the toilet. IIRC the superliner roomette does not have a window for the upper bunk, the viewliner does. That's important to me because when traveling I always sleep in the upper bunk even if traveling alone it allows the chairs to remain as seats should I wish to get up in the middle of the night and look out. When traveling with someone though, I have my own window up there. All told, I'm partial to the viewliners for all the reasons above, plus of course I live on a viewliner's route, so traveling them all the time I tend to become attached. :cool:

Linda T

If Im going coach, I prefer the Superliners, they are a bit more spacious build wise. Bigger windows as well.

If in a sleeper, I have to give the nod to the Viewliners, they feel more open than the Superliner roomettes do.

I think you will be ok on the Viewliners. I only rode Superliners previously as well. I recently rode the Crescent *sleeper*, and the LSL *coach* for the first time.
I just watched a video on youtube of the viewliner roomette. There is more room, but the seats are smaller......(sometimes I like to lean against the wall with my legs up on the seat, looking straight out the window, that would definitely be out.) But there would be room to get dressed when the top bunk is down....which is difficult in the superliner. I guess I could get used to a viewliner, but I still love my cozy superliner roomette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we travel overnight exclusively in a bedroom, we prefer the Superliners for their superior availability although the Viewliner bedroom has far more space for luggage. I could never understand why Viewliner sleeping cars were never built with more bedrooms. There are only two per sleeper and they tend to get expensive.

As for coach for day trips, we have no preference but when going NEC, the Acela is a nice way to go.

Bit of a dubious question. Is the toilet in the Viewliner roomette enclosed in a partion? From the diagrams I've seen it doesnt look like it!

No, it is not. I don't care for the toilette in the roomette, not due to privacy, but just because of the proximity....especially now that I know the blankets aren't changed each trip.....going on faith that the previous occupant has good aim at a moving target....I'm glad they're removing them from the layout in the new cars.

No, it is not. I don't care for the toilette in the roomette, not due to privacy, but just because of the proximity....especially now that I know the blankets aren't changed each trip.....going on faith that the previous occupant has good aim at a moving target....I'm glad they're removing them from the layout in the new cars.
Hmmmmm! Not sure whether that was a great idea. Having to number 2 in front of your partner is bad enough. Even if you have sole occupancy I'm hoping its well ventilated. What if the conductor has to pop his head in a few moments after? :eek:hboy:

But the thought of badly aimed number 1's ending up in places where it shouldnt.......

I much prefer to having my own toilet as on the Viewliner-I roomettes. I know that it will remain as clean as I keep it throughout the trip. That, to me, outweighs any negatives.

Plus, as noted, the upper bunk has its own set of windows, and a much higher ceiling, both making the upper bunk a lot less claustrophobic.

I like Viewliner roomettes better because I like my own toilet. If in a bedroom, I like the Superliner bedrooms better than Viewliner bedrooms - I think they have a better layout.

I've ridden in both, although Superliner a lot more. Don't forget that the upper berth in Superliners is pretty tight for folks with claustrophobia and other ailments. You can't sit up in it. Otherwise I like the Superliners.

By the way as I remember there are no spare bathrooms "down the hall" in current Viewliner configurations. (I think they are changing that on the new ones). When I traveled with another male passenger a few years ago, I had to go to a coach to use the restroom in the middle of the night. Not such a problem with the wife, but we do prefer an "enclosure" for the restroom.

I won't talk about coaches, but as far as Sleepers go I like the Viewliners better when travelling by myself, Superliners more when I have an companion.

I've ridden in both, although Superliner a lot more. Don't forget that the upper berth in Superliners is pretty tight for folks with claustrophobia and other ailments. You can't sit up in it. Otherwise I like the Superliners.

The upper bunk is obviously better/roomier in the Viewliner, but no one has mentioned the seats are quite a bit narrower (of course making the lower bunk narrower.) Hasn't anyone found this to be a problem? That would be a big reason for me not to like the Viewliner as much as the Superliner......I like to "stretch out" in the larger seats.

The upper bunk is obviously better/roomier in the Viewliner, but no one has mentioned the seats are quite a bit narrower (of course making the lower bunk narrower.) Hasn't anyone found this to be a problem? That would be a big reason for me not to like the Viewliner as much as the Superliner......I like to "stretch out" in the larger seats.
Actually only one seat in the Viewliner, the one next to the toilet, is smaller than the seats in the Superliner's. The other seat is the same size, as is that part of the bed and the bed is the same as in the Superliner. Both the beds are 2'4" wide, the Superliner bed for the full length and the Viewliner bed at the head end of the bed. The bed tapers at the foot end because of the smaller seat & toilet.

Viewliner Toilet In Room = BIG DIS-Advantage. Even when traveling alone, I don't like thinking about the "splash effect" of the thousands of travelers prior to me. (And I am a pretty gross and disgusting guy, who can eat food off the ground, that's hardy been cooked, and doesn't resemble food.....)

Viewliner Double Set of Windows in Rooms = BIG ADVANTAGE. Especially if you are traveling with two in a room, the upper bunk in a VL has a window, even if traveling alone, two windows make it feel "roomier".

Actually only one seat in the Viewliner, the one next to the toilet, is smaller than the seats in the Superliner's. The other seat is the same size, as is that part of the bed and the bed is the same as in the Superliner. Both the beds are 2'4" wide, the Superliner bed for the full length and the Viewliner bed at the head end of the bed. The bed tapers at the foot end because of the smaller seat & toilet.
Only one seat narrower would help the sleeping situation, but one of the two people would be cramped in that seat

TrainLoverJoy said:
1349901478[/url]' post='398711']Only one seat narrower would help the sleeping situation, but one of the two people would be cramped in that seat.
I don't think I could ever get used to having the toilet so close (but it helps a little one's head is at the wider part and one's feet are nearer the toilet itself.) Even tho the bathrooms on the Superliners usually seem clean, I still can't wait to get out of there away from the toilets!

Last edited:
As a frequent occupier of the coffin on.a Superliner Roomette hands down the Viewliner wins, I sllep up top even when by myself! As was said, the Superliner Bedrooms seem a tad more roomy but the H Room on.Viewliners is by far the way to.go, especially on the Nre York section of the LSL when you literaly walk 10 feet into the Diner!(Its evem better when 8400 is in the Consist!)

I rode in a Superliner bedroom (upper level) on the Texas Eagle this past weekend. With the rough track, the excessive side-to-side pitching of the car made sleep hard to come by for me. I'd have to think a single level Viewliner would have been less prone to that.

I'm not sure it's possible to make a fair judgement. My impression of the Viewliner is colored by the fact that Amtrak doesn't have good single-level lounge cars. Compounding this, I usually only occupy a Viewliner on either the New York or Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited, which means either (a) a long walk to the mediocre Amfleet/Horizon lounge or (b) a long walk to the dining car. On most Superliner-equipped trains (is the Portland section of the Empire Builder the only exception?) you're right next to the dining car and the Sightseer Lounge. So there's that.

I like the secondary luggage storage on the lower level of the Superliner for those situations when you can't or don't want to check a bag. I don't like the in-room toilet in the Viewliner roomette. I find it difficult to maneuver and it's a real annoyance when you're traveling with someone else, even if it's your partner. I do like the second row of windows on the Viewliner since I'm usually sleeping in the top bunk. I'm not very claustrophobic so that doesn't bother me in a Superliner but I can see why it would bother others and it really is cramped. The luggage cubby for the Viewliner is nice but it's also a little difficult to reach. I prefer using the straps on the side and my travel suitcase fits perfectly there.

You also get a better view from a Superliner. I know it's a minority opinion but I really do prefer it to the Viewliner. I suspect I would feel different if Amtrak refreshed the single level lounges.

I rode in a Superliner bedroom (upper level) on the Texas Eagle this past weekend. With the rough track, the excessive side-to-side pitching of the car made sleep hard to come by for me. I'd have to think a single level Viewliner would have been less prone to that.
I'll agree with that. I've done top and lower superliner roomette. Ok, so top you get a slightly better view, but you do get a better quality ride in the lower level. If you want the best view, then its off to the observation coach in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back