Superliner vs. Viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Will have to plan a trip over there to grab a 'Viewliner 1' in before they go!
They're not going anywhere any time soon.
Agreed, the Viewliner I's aren't going anyplace any time soon, other than perhaps on their next run.

I believe that Amtrak still hopes to eventually refurbish the I's to match the II's, in that the toilet is gone from the roomettes and 2 public toilets will be installed. But otherwise, at present the I's represent the newest sleeping cars in the fleet. We'll hopefully be replacing the Superliners long before we start thinking about retiring the Veiwliner I's.

On the Viewliner roomettes feet are only next to the toilet if the car is facing in the right direction, unless you don;t care whether you go feet or head first into the dark dark night.Since I really don;t like having my head next to the toilet I may need to rethink the head-first feet-first issue. Other than that ?? I like having the little cubby hole way above the sink. My wheelie fits in there just fine. Then again it fits on the shelf in the superliners just fine also. 6 of one 6 of the other, though the view is better up high.

On the Viewliner roomettes feet are only next to the toilet if the car is facing in the right direction, unless you don;t care whether you go feet or head first into the dark dark night.Since I really don;t like having my head next to the toilet I may need to rethink the head-first feet-first issue.
Well seeing as how the bed is always made up with the sheets & blanket set up so that your head & torso are at the wide end of the bed, you would have to totally remake the bed to go feet first should the room be orientated such that your head would normally go first. You would also need to squeeze your body into the much narrower end of the bed if you reverse things.

I've only ridden routes that use a Superliner, and love everything about it. Soon I will want to take trains east but I'm afraid I will be disappointed in the Viewliner. Are the windows just as large as the Superliner? I know I will miss being up higher, and I know I will not like having the toilet right next to my bed......(I'll pile it up with other stuff, and use other toilets if I can find some.) Any other differences I haven't mentioned?
The Viewliner roomette has a private luggage compartment (located, in fact, above the corridor). Therefore there's a LOT more room for in-room luggage storage than in the Superliner.

I really like that.

---

Regarding the new Viewliners, the first cars (diners) are expected to be "in service" sometime between August and October 2013 according to various Amtrak documents. They'll probably be delivered long before that (testing takes a while).

It's not 100% clear what the source of the delay was but the evidence points to CAF USA having difficulty working with stainless steel. The problem seems to have been resolved.

On the Viewliner roomettes feet are only next to the toilet if the car is facing in the right direction, unless you don;t care whether you go feet or head first into the dark dark night.Since I really don;t like having my head next to the toilet I may need to rethink the head-first feet-first issue.
Well seeing as how the bed is always made up with the sheets & blanket set up so that your head & torso are at the wide end of the bed, you would have to totally remake the bed to go feet first should the room be orientated such that your head would normally go first. You would also need to squeeze your body into the much narrower end of the bed if you reverse things.
I did exactly that on a recent trip. I just plain don't like riding headfirst. It was no trouble for the attendant, as I made the bed myself and just reversed the mattress/sheet/blanket in one move.

I did exactly that on a recent trip. I just plain don't like riding headfirst. It was no trouble for the attendant, as I made the bed myself and just reversed the mattress/sheet/blanket in one move.
But the mattress won't fit. :unsure: The mattress when turned around is wider than the allotted space on the seat next to the toilet.

But the mattress won't fit. :unsure: The mattress when turned around is wider than the allotted space on the seat next to the toilet.
True, I had to jam the wider end in there by the toilet. But it worked and I slept soundly!

True, I had to jam the wider end in there by the toilet. But it worked and I slept soundly!

YUp, I do the same thing. Mattress has never complained. And I also do the beds myself.

You guys are creeping me out. We are going on the viewliner next July. Sharing a roommette with my husband. Okay so if I have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night (or him), then we can gross the other person out. Is there a splash guard between the bed and the toilet?

You guys are creeping me out. We are going on the viewliner next July. Sharing a roommette with my husband. Okay so if I have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night (or him), then we can gross the other person out. Is there a splash guard between the bed and the toilet?

Not sure what you mean but the toilet seat cover seals the thing quite thoroughly and I think they're all vacuum operated so no water to splash regardless.

I mean I hope pee from a guy has not flown on the blankets that I am sleeping on. Ewww

Only to add to the toilet terror was a trip on the Lake Shore Limited originating in Chicago where the supposedly cleaned toilet was marinated in dry pee all along the rim. Fortunately I had some disinfecting wipes and resolved that problem and realized I should have expected something like this as the car was cleaned and made ready in Chicago where the Coach Cleaners usually do an unimaginably terrible job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back