Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, but at least there is a Diner with Traditional Meals and a Sightseer Lounge, as opposed to the Orphan Texas Eaglette.

Since I haven't ridden the Sunset since last Fall, I'm wondering how the Switching of the #421 Cars is done now since a Sleeper and Coach used to be added to the back of the Sunset in San Antonio?

Doesn't that give #1/#2 Two Coaches between LA and SA???
Yes, there are two coaches from SAS-LAX, but only one coach between SAS-NOL

Agree, but at least there is a Diner with Traditional Meals and a Sightseer Lounge, as opposed to the Orphan Texas Eaglette.

Since I haven't ridden the Sunset since last Fall, I'm wondering how the Switching of the #421 Cars is done now since a Sleeper and Coach used to be added to the back of the Sunset in San Antonio?

Doesn't that give #1/#2 Two Coaches between LA and SA???
Just rode the SL in Sept. Yes, the "Eaglette" Coach and Sleeper are added to the back of the SL in San Antonio. Two Coaches together then the Sleeper at the back.

Just rode the SL in Sept. Yes, the "Eaglette" Coach and Sleeper are added to the back of the SL in San Antonio. Two Coaches together then the Sleeper at the back.
The Texas Eagle sleeper at the rear of the Sunset and the Portland sleeper at the rear of the Empire Builder - Just doesn't get any better than that!

The Texas Eagle sleeper at the rear of the Sunset and the Portland sleeper at the rear of the Empire Builder - Just doesn't get any better than that!
Ok ... Since I'm a newbie ...

Why? Please expound on why it "Just doesn't get any better".

Because if the sleeper is up front behind the locomotive(s) you get the loud sound of the horn which bothers some people, and you may get diesel fumes. A sleeper at the rear avoids these issues

I think others have summed it up pretty well. I really enjoy the peace and quiet that you normally get in the rear sleeper. People are not normally walking through the car and the railfan window is a bonus.

I have found that the transition sleeper also does not get much traffic through the car but since it is near the front of the train, it is noisier there.

The map on the UP web site shows the current route, which goes SE from downtown Phoenix to the current line. They don't show any update to the more direct route. Maybe that will come later.

Union Pacific just announced new 2024 Intermodal service from a new intermodal terminal in their existing yard in downtown Phoenix to California. What could this mean for eventual reopening of the rail line west of Phoenix and the possible return of Amtrak to downtown Phoenix?

Union Pacific Announces New Phoenix Terminal Connecting Southwest U.S. Markets with International Ports in Southern California
It could bode well for such. We'll have to wait and see. I am sure RPA will push this point home to Amtrak.

Not sure this does anything. Feel free to correct me. The out of service line is from Phoenix to the east. The west side from Phoenix to California was never taken out of service. Slower track speeds, but still in use.

So any impact like improvements to the track speed and right of way. Will not help restore passenger service to and from Phoenix, mainly due to the out of service eastern side. It just might take track capacity out of this route if the intermodal yard is placed haphazardly and fowls the access to the station.

So any impact like improvements to the track speed and right of way. Will not help restore passenger service to and from Phoenix, mainly due to the out of service eastern side. It just might take track capacity out of this route if the intermodal yard is placed haphazardly and fowls the access to the station.
Hmm. This might result in more late trains rather than an improvement?

Not sure this does anything. Feel free to correct me. The out of service line is from Phoenix to the east. The west side from Phoenix to California was never taken out of service. Slower track speeds, but still in use.

If I understand the situation correctly, I think you have it backwards. The line from Phoenix east to Tucson via the Gila subdivision is in use. The line west of Phoenix towards Yuma (again Gila subdivision) is not in use and has no operating signals, and IIRC an 80 mile long segment between Roll and Arlington is used mostly for storing idle freight cars.

Last edited:
Hmm. This might result in more late trains rather than an improvement?
It would depend on how much capital the UP would be using to build this facility. Intermodal ramps can be a huge affair or just a tiny footprint.

They’re a ramp in Kansas that service a landfill, one passing side maybe 1/2 mile and one top lift forklift type of machine. A few chassis. No gates, no fences, just enough space to unload a few intermodal cars and a lot to place them.

Have a downtown intermodal ramp is not necessary a good thing. Truckers will have to get in and out.

https://bnsfcalifornia.com/projects/barstow-international-gateway-big/
A link to a big ramp. Located outside of the LA basin. Only 4500 acres.

It was pointed out that the out of service Gila sub requires a detour of about 100+ miles. Depending on how many IM trains operate going east might require some improvements to that section of track. Another problem is that the yard only has about 1 mile of yard tracks. Otherwise, longer trains will need to be joined / split outside the yard. There are many grade crossing close to the west end of the yard with obvious political problems.

AMTRAK: As of 5:40 PM MT, Sunset Limited Train 2/422 which departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 11/29, is currently stopped east of El Paso (ELP) due to mechanical issues. Updates to follow as more information becomes available.
Still one engine or two on the Sunset Limited?

Rebuilding the line is going to be major work, might as well start fresh with concrete ties, CWR and 15,000ft passing sidings every 12mi.
Given UP won't even spend the money to finish double tracking the sunset route I'm doubtful they'd rebuild a large section of main track for 1 Z train a day.

Back