Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CSX does not need the Gulf coast route from NOL - PNS- TLH - JAX. The CPAK = CSX route between Texas and Florida removes any need for that route. + Adding PTC for passenger service way too costly.

CSX does not need the Gulf coast route from NOL - PNS- TLH - JAX. The CPAK = CSX route between Texas and Florida removes any need for that route. + Adding PTC for passenger service way too costly.
What is CPAK? CSX has sold off the Gulf Coast route East of Pensacola upto Baldwin to a Short Line RR anyway,

The problem with that route as always is the relative lack of potential ridership, but hey if people want to contribute to restore it, more power to them.

In an ideal world this will take a long time but the sunset limited will be 125mph Dailey and return to Florida and Phoenix . 125 prob will never happen but we can dream

In an ideal world this will take a long time but the sunset limited will be 125mph Dailey and return to Florida and Phoenix . 125 prob will never happen but we can dream
125 would require a sealed ROW including fencing such as Brightline is between only Cocoa and MCO. Will never happen. Even 110 requires grade separation or at least gates at every grade crossings.

As for this trains actual future I can see a return to Phoenix happening in like 2026 or later by that point chargers will pull the train . In 2032 or sooner the train will receive new equipment 9 or 10 car sets this will also be the time that the train may become Dailey with the equipment to make it it Dailey . A return to Florida also could happen soon

Dailey service can’t happen until the new equipment is there because they don’t have enough superliners

There's been a lot of talk about how the SL has a history of arriving late in LA, but how good (or bad) is the Texas Eagle at arriving on time from Chicago to San Antonio? I'll be taking the Eaglette from Chicago to Austin on January 25/26, and just wondering how likely it is that I'll be landing in Austin in the middle of the night instead of the scheduled time of 6:22pm. (Also, please tell me that they won't yank the sleeper car at the last minute and stick me in coach. Lie if you have to. :-D)

Going to post here about the backup move in San Antonio the TE does to get into the station. There was a plan to connect the two UP lines at Walters st. but I guess nothing happened do to who is going to pay for it. Thought the city wanted to because of future commuter Train service.

Going to post here about the backup move in San Antonio the TE does to get into the station. There was a plan to connect the two UP lines at Walters st. but I guess nothing happened do to who is going to pay for it. Thought the city wanted to because of future commuter Train service.
I think you mean to get out of the station(?)

I believe access is through a tunnel under the tracks.
Interesting, a Google street view showing the entrance to the tunnel on the south side of the tracks. I wonder if that is handicap accessible somehow? One can see the tunnel on the north side by the patterns in the turf on the map top view.

1704562846543.png

Look at the map view of the Marshall station area. The platform for the Eagle's stop is on the northwest quadrant of the wye.
If/when the Meridian - Shreveport - Dallas train ever happens, its stop would be on the south quadrant of the wye. There is no platform there, but remnants of a platform can be seen that would go back to the T&P's Ft. Worth - Dallas - Shreveport - Baton Rouge - New Orleans pre-Amtrak trains. A new platform could easily be placed in this location.

Interesting, a Google street view showing the entrance to the tunnel on the south side of the tracks. I wonder if that is handicap accessible somehow? One can see the tunnel on the north side by the patterns in the turf on the map top view.

View attachment 35311
I would assume there's an elevator in there. The higher roof at the rear of the building looks like it's to accommodate elevator machinery. And why build a handicapped ramp to the door if it were an accessibility dead end?

I looked at Google photos around the building across the tracks, and there's a sign directing to an accessible route, so it's likely the whole thing was designed to be accessible.

Another newbie question: which Texas Eagle (21) stops are smoke stops, and are there any that are longer stops between Chicago and Austin?
Springfield,St Louis,Little Rock ( 0 Dark Thirty),Longview,Dallas,Ft Worth and Temple are your Longest Stops for Fresh Air/Smoke !

St. Louis and Ft Worth are the Longest Stops!

Back