Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! That's a very helpful reference site.
Glad you found it useful.

• Many years ago, Amtrak quit publishing and distributing their printed book of timetables, but the archived ones are available here. . . Amtrak Timetable Archives - Home. . .as well as those re-created by the Rail Passenger Association (linked in Post #98). My most recent (2016) paper version has 136 pages packed full of info.

• Amtrak does, however, make an online version available but it contains only the arrival and departure times plus the three alpha character designations for each station. It can be accessed by clicking on SCHEDULES at the top of the Amtrak home page.

• The printed paper timetables contained about all that needed to be known about each train route and each stop along the way - all in one handy place. Most of it is (methinks) now available online but at many different URLs. F'rinstance, dimensions of the beds/bunks in the various sleeper rooms can be found (by me, at least) only here. . . https://www.amtrakvacations.com/sites/amtrak/files/2021-08/AVUS_Sleeping Accommodations.pdf. . .and not through the Amtrak home page.

Okay, I have got to ask -- what is going on between Taylor, TX and Austin, TX? I've been looking at some old schedules showing whether the Eaglette was running late of on time, and it keeps running pretty much on time as far as Taylor, TX, where it leaves mostly on time, and then it shows up from an hour to two hours late at the next stop in Austin? Does anyone have any idea what's going on there?

Okay, I have got to ask -- what is going on between Taylor, TX and Austin, TX? I've been looking at some old schedules showing whether the Eaglette was running late of on time, and it keeps running pretty much on time as far as Taylor, TX, where it leaves mostly on time, and then it shows up from an hour to two hours late at the next stop in Austin? Does anyone have any idea what's going on there?
Known as the "Black Hole" , the UP Freight Yards in Taylor are where Freights are made up, and now Tesla Ships Vehicles out of there from the Mega Factory in Austin which often delays #22 and #21!

Also, the route between North Austin and Taylor is Single Tracked, so the many Rock Trains and Freights that UP runs means Amtrak gets to sit in a siding while these Looooong, Slow Trains head North and East through Taylor!

I've been on the Eagle many times "in the hole" along Mopac Blvd ( the old Mopac Tracks run in the Middle of the Mopac Freeway in North Austin)for as long as an hour while Freights rumble by!

Last edited:
As for this trains actual future I can see a return to Phoenix happening in like 2026 or later by that point chargers will pull the train . In 2032 or sooner the train will receive new equipment 9 or 10 car sets this will also be the time that the train may become Dailey with the equipment to make it it Dailey . A return to Florida also could happen soon

Dailey service can’t happen until the new equipment is there because they don’t have enough superliners
There are enough Superliners for daily Sunset service. The inefficiencies in tri-weekly mean you almost have enough already.

woke up to an email changing our TE 422 departure from LAX by 3 hours (2/14). We now leave at 7pm and arrive in SAS at 3am 😩 I thought arriving at almost 5am was too early, but 3am really sucks

woke up to an email changing our TE 422 departure from LAX by 3 hours (2/14). We now leave at 7pm and arrive in SAS at 3am 😩 I thought arriving at almost 5am was too early, but 3am really sucks
Are you continuing on past San Antonio? If so, they switch the 422 Thru Cars ( Sleeper and Coach) to the Texas Eagle #22 which heads North to Chicago @ 7AM?

You don't have to get off the Train if so, and Breakfast won't be served until you leave headed North After 700AM.

if not, San Antonio is pretty dead @ 3AM( and 6AM also!😄)

San Antonio is our destination, so we definitely have to get off at whatever time we end up arriving. Our condo is very close to the station, but 3 am is a bit more off time wise, to get transportation from the station. On a good note, we will now get dinner included as we head out of LA, vs finding something at the station or Olivares street.

Known as the "Black Hole" , the UP Freight Yards in Taylor are where Freights are made up, and now Tesla Ships Vehicles out of there from the Mega Factory in Austin which often delays #22 and #21!

Also, the route between North Austin and Taylor is Single Tracked, so the many Rock Trains and Freights that UP runs means Amtrak gets to sit in a siding while these Looooong, Slow Trains head North and East through Taylor!

I've been on the Eagle many times "in the hole" along Mopac Blvd ( the old Mopac Tracks run in the Middle of the Mopac Freeway in North Austin)for as long as an hour while Freights rumble by!

Well, that explains it. Thanks, Elon. 🤨

Seriously, though, thank you, Bob, for this information! I‘m going to have to cross my fingers and hope I’m lucky on the 25th! 😊

This whole route, especially from Chicago to San Antonio, seems like an "orphan" to Amtrak with UP fully in control and not caring one wit about these trains. I'm old enough to remember the "Golden State" which
ran via Tucumcari to El Paso with Chicago-LA speed the equal of Sante Fe's "Super Chief". The Southwest is a growing area and needs better service and I do not see much improvement coming. The arrival time in L.A. is nuts.

San Antonio is our destination, so we definitely have to get off at whatever time we end up arriving. Our condo is very close to the station, but 3 am is a bit more off time wise, to get transportation from the station. On a good note, we will now get dinner included as we head out of LA, vs finding something at the station or Olivares street.
Glad you're close to the Station, as you know it isn't located in the best area of SA, and as you say,Transportation @ that time ( actually any time @ Sunset Station) is lacking!

Curious about you being on #422 since #2 is usually cheaper, especially in a Sleeper , and lots closer to the Diner and Loung Car.( at least there is Traditional Dinning and a Sightseer Lounge unlike the Eaglete!)

I usually eat Dinner @ Philippe, or one of the Olvera Street joints, since the Sunset usually leaves @ 10pm as you know.

Bon voyage!

Last edited:
I feel like I have a persistent black cloud over my Amtrak travel lately. We had to cancel our CS trip to Northern California over Christmas due to the MetroLink closure, and now we have to cancel our San Antonio trip —last night our friends, who had invited us to stay with them at their timeshare, told us the building was being closed and all reservations cancelled due to a major elevator replacement. Unable to reschedule due to expiration of the timeshare points and no availability (it was a use it or lose it trip plan). So now, I’m very frustrated. We snagged the second passenger travels “free“ promo, so questionable about getting as good a deal to change to something else. We don’t want to plan something that includes a lot of additional expense in hotels right now. Our friends want us to just come stay with them in Phoenix, but then the entire train trip would be at night with us sleeping (might as well fly for less $). I was soooooo looking forward to this trip. I think I need to step back and see if there is another date we could switch to, or different route that works with our other travel in the upcoming year. Or just get a refund 😭

I‘m booked on the CS to EMY this Thursday — every digit I have is crossed that the weather related cancellations are done by then

You can take a homemade rail cart ride on the abandoned route, including the site of the unsolved sabotage, here:

(Turn on CC to hear the conversation)

If link not working search for "Old tracks of the Sunset limited Amtrak train riding on Railcart - Arizona US. (PART 1)"

Does anyone know why the Texas Eagle left Chicago three hours late yesterday (Jan. 23)? Normally it's right on time leaving Chicago, since that's where it starts.
Cold weather equipment issues was the stock answer I got from an acquaintance. Usually ice in the plumbing at this time of year.
Cute avatar, by the way.

Back