Strangest Things You've seen in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of this is pretty mean spirited and not necessary. Wabbit, it is sometimes hard to read your posts. However, I do not think people should be picking on you. That is classless. Suggesting somebody go get a GED or take classes is insulting IMHO in this context. You don't know anything about the person you are talking to. This could be very hurtful.

The moderators have asked you all to stop. Please do. Stick to trains and related topics. Not manners, not spelling, not chivalry, and not the battle of the sexes or any other mess. And treat others with respect regardless of education or background.
With all due respect, I am trying my hardest NOT to pick on Wabbit. I appreciate his comments and said so. The reference to the GED was based on HIS remarks:

maine rider 'if u want to make jokes about my spelling

go ahead i am getting real tired of being the butt of peoples jokes

just becouse i did not graduate hs, if u are the spelling police, then u fix it

if'in u still want to mock me, just grow up this board is about amtrak not about spelling mistakes
Would you, sir, not encourage one to better themselves? That is all that was suggested.

With regards to the rest of your comment, manners and chivalry are most relavent to this thread and to society in general. Some of the "Strangest things we've seen in Coach" are merely from our perspective from being outside certain cultural awarenesses. Not all, but some. The coolest thing about Amtrak is that it plies across the country and is a tossed salad of cultures. It's isn't a melting pot, as there is generally not enough time to embrace, understand, and perhaps even accept different cultures.

Take for example any of the long distance trains. The culture in Chicago is very different than in LA. When you start in Chicago, the majority of the passengers may act a certain way, or express a certain behavior. As the train crosses the continent, it picks up cultures from the Midwest farms, the front range of the Rockies, the high deserts of New Mexico and as it approaches California, well, it ain't Chicago any more.

Manners and chivalry in NY are not the same as in San Antonio. It just isn't. Not to judge and say one is better than another, but it's different. Anyone travelling across the country should be quite keenly aware of that fact and either be willing to embrace it or avoid it.

So, yes. When someone states that they haven't graduated from high school, I don't think it's picking on them to encourage them to finish. We are well into the 21st century and education is a must to be a productive member of society - perhaps even to be be an accepted member of society. I highly encourage that, and find that it is heartless not to.

Wabbit, I hope you understand I'm not picking on you. I am encouraging you. I want the best for you because you deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleepers in Japan are all but extinct. The cost to ride them is so high that I don't believe anyone could go bonkers on one. Of course, you wouldn't expect that from an airline pilot either...

Stuff happens.

If anyone notices me repeatedly using improper spelling and/or grammar and/or otherwise butchering my English (or any other language) I would welcome such mistakes being brought to my attention. I thought the whole point of written language was to communicate. I have no idea what the point of gibberish is. Can someone help me to understand it? When you can't be bothered to expend even the most minimal amount of effort to communicate in a clear and understandable manner then what is the point? It makes no sense to me.

drop the SMS/Tweet acronyms and capitalize.

This. It has nothing to do with one's education, it is about using the English language and not the bastardized version currently flagrant in social media. In my opinion, it takes just as much effort to use the SMS/Tweet acronyms and phrases as it would to use proper English. We all make mistakes and occasionally mis-spell words. Most of the time the reader will simply over look that; however when a post is mangled to the point where words are no longer recognizable or distinguishable, it fails to communicate.

I think that we've had more than enough on the topic of spelling & grammar! Please give it a rest. If one is that bothered by it, please simply don't read the post.

...Which is considerably understandable. Was he a foreigner? I have read (and jis & Texas back me up or correct me here) that on India Rail, if you sit in a "community" class, ie: Sleeper Tier 3 (AC or not), you might find your seat mates sharing your Coke & cookies if you set it down. They would expect the same from you.
Not really. It is more of a myth created by certain western tourists. I have traveled over 30,000 miles on Sleeper 3 Tier (AC and non-AC) on Indian Railways and never once encountered a situation where someone simply grabs my food or drink and starts consuming it. Heck, I would be very annoyed if they did that- whether in India or on Amtrak. However, what is the norm on trains in India is sharing your food with co-passengers. When you are sitting in a sectional sleeper with five other passengers sharing the section, if anyone takes out any food they brought from home to eat, they will first offer it to their "neighbors". Some accept it, some decline, but it is a custom to always ask co-passengers if they would like to have some of what you are just going to eat. If a passenger fishes out a snack from his/her bag and starts eating it all by himself/herself, it is likely to get a look suggesting "Ugh! What a selfish person!" (All those planning to travel by trains in India in the future, you have been warned
biggrin.gif
)

Thank you for correcting me on this urban myth. My Coke is safe. :)

So, in context, can I presume that if you buy food from the pantry car, it would then NOT be rude to selfishly consume it?

...Which is considerably understandable. Was he a foreigner? I have read (and jis & Texas back me up or correct me here) that on India Rail, if you sit in a "community" class, ie: Sleeper Tier 3 (AC or not), you might find your seat mates sharing your Coke & cookies if you set it down. They would expect the same from you.
Not really. It is more of a myth created by certain western tourists. I have traveled over 30,000 miles on Sleeper 3 Tier (AC and non-AC) on Indian Railways and never once encountered a situation where someone simply grabs my food or drink and starts consuming it. Heck, I would be very annoyed if they did that- whether in India or on Amtrak. However, what is the norm on trains in India is sharing your food with co-passengers. When you are sitting in a sectional sleeper with five other passengers sharing the section, if anyone takes out any food they brought from home to eat, they will first offer it to their "neighbors". Some accept it, some decline, but it is a custom to always ask co-passengers if they would like to have some of what you are just going to eat. If a passenger fishes out a snack from his/her bag and starts eating it all by himself/herself, it is likely to get a look suggesting "Ugh! What a selfish person!" (All those planning to travel by trains in India in the future, you have been warned
biggrin.gif
)
In old times it was like that in Spain too, only I never ever saw anybody accepting the food so I guess it was a courtesy gesture.

biggrin.gif
)
Heck, that's been the norm on almost all of my train trips (coach).

Not once has someone had a snack that they brought with them and not offered to share and vice-versa.

In fact, every person I've had for a seat mate has also offered to bring something back from the cafe when they go, mind you, not always treat but that's the way it's been for me.

I also do the same thing, I also treat and have been treated too.

Life is so much more fun when you're open to being around people different than you.

Really, had I been the person not wanting or liking my food I would have asked if anyone else wanted it - why not?

Then I would have asked the Waitperson if I could have something else - if they comped it, so much the better.

Is it so much more important to guard your unwanted whatever, raise your blood pressure, and think about acting negatively?

Then again, the guy that snatched those pancakes probably used a RedCap to get on the train before all of the old, feeble people
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
)
Heck, that's been the norm on almost all of my train trips (coach).

Not once has someone had a snack that they brought with them and not offered to share and vice-versa.

In fact, every person I've had for a seat mate has also offered to bring something back from the cafe when they go, mind you, not always treat but that's the way it's been for me.

I also do the same thing, I also treat and have been treated too.

Life is so much more fun when you're open to being around people different than you.

Really, had I been the person not wanting or liking my food I would have asked if anyone else wanted it - why not?

Then I would have asked the Waitperson if I could have something else - if they comped it, so much the better.

Is it so much more important to guard your unwanted whatever, raise your blood pressure, and think about acting negatively?

Then again, the guy that snatched those pancakes probably used a RedCap to get on the train before all of the old, feeble people
tongue.gif
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

This one happened to me in the dining car on Via Rail's Ocean. I was having breakfast with another gentleman discussing trains; the sights etc. then he noticed that I had only taken to slices from my pancakes (some kind of whole grain thing) which I totally didn't like. Noticing that I hadn’t really eaten pancake he ask if I didn't like them, As I answered him that I didn't really like of want them he reached into my plate and took them! Yes, took them! (background on me I am an individual who in past years has had to work on his temper etc).

My first response was to reach back into his plate take them back and knock the Sh%# out of him. I think as he noticed the sharping angle of my eye brows, he said that he was sorry and asked if I did really want them? He followed that with and explanation that where he was from food was special and was not to denied, refused or wasted. OK, so to avoid any further issue I excused myself and considered that moment a lesion while convincing myself not to teach him a less about where I am from and personal space.

Tim
...Which is considerably understandable. Was he a foreigner? I have read (and jis & Texas back me up or correct me here) that on India Rail, if you sit in a "community" class, ie: Sleeper Tier 3 (AC or not), you might find your seat mates sharing your Coke & cookies if you set it down. They would expect the same from you. On a very large tangent, I found it ironic that in Japan in the late 80's, it was a gentleman from India who was very offended that we (Tokyo Disneyland) didn't offer bottled water for sale. Back to my original response to Ctim2: As the old adage goes, "When in Rome..." Unfortunately, this almost exclusively means that Americans need to act like their host country when travelling abroad, but doesn't seem to apply when folks visit our country. Part of the problem there is that since our country is made up of folks from so many other cultures, it's real easy to step on other cultures within our own country without realizing it.

That ALL being said, I'm sure the situation would have diffused quite rapidly had the gentleman simply asked for your pancakes.

Maine Rider, if you want to make jokes about my spelling, then go ahead. I am getting really thred of being the butt of people's jokes. Just because I did not graduate HS. [incomplete sentence, doesn't work with the parts after the comma] If you are the spelling police, then you fix it. If'in you still want to mock me, then just grow up. This board is about Amtrak, not about spelling mistakes.

Note: Be careful what you wish for.
Anderson - you inadvertently incorrectly corrected the bolded word above. :)

Wabbit - I appreciate your interest in this forum. I would highly encourage you to NOT be the brunt of anyone's jokes by obtaining your GED or finishing high school. It will serve you extremely well in life. Please bear in mind that probably the majority of users of this forum are seasoned citizens who are very proud our their heritage and their education. It is very difficult to read and understand someone who doesn't seem to even care to make an attempt at making proper communication a priority.
*chuckes*

Point taken.

Wabbit: I would echo what VentureForth has said. To be fair, though, basic spelling and grammar should have been taught much earlier on, and I've seen people with dyslexia manage quite passable spelling and grammar. There will be typos and errors from time to time (I've made my share; sometimes my keyboard sticks and I don't notice it, for example), and of course there are points of disagreement on how to handle one case or another. But a bit of effort to use something resembling standard English is always appreciated.

If I am being honest, blaming not having graduated high school is an excuse for not putting in baseline effort on trying to be readable. Like I said, I've known severely dyslexic people whose typing is more legible. There are typos and there are incorrect capitalizations, but at least they try.

Not strangest but on the way up to NTD we were 40 minutes late and this woman in the seat in front of me was not happy. She was going on how reservations should have told her that amtrak does not own the tracks and every time another train comes they must stop. Shes going on about if reservations had told her trains were late she would never have taken amtrak. And if this women she was traveling with misses her connection will they put her in a hotel. She also went on to say it was the worst experience of her life and she was never taking the train again and that its a union thing and the union is doing it on purpose to milk the hours.

Wabbit: I would echo what VentureForth has said. To be fair, though, basic spelling and grammar should have been taught much earlier on, and I've seen people with dyslexia manage quite passable spelling and grammar. There will be typos and errors from time to time (I've made my share; sometimes my keyboard sticks and I don't notice it, for example), and of course there are points of disagreement on how to handle one case or another. But a bit of effort to use something resembling standard English is always appreciated.

If I am being honest, blaming not having graduated high school is an excuse for not putting in baseline effort on trying to be readable. Like I said, I've known severely dyslexic people whose typing is more legible. There are typos and there are incorrect capitalizations, but at least they try.
anderson

i will try to make better sentences, and make it easyer to read

My biggest gripe is that most of my train rides have been incident-free (except, of course, running 3 hours late or something like that). Worst part is that I put my kid on a train and she gets to see a drunk get tossed.

Sigh.

My biggest gripe is that most of my train rides have been incident-free (except, of course, running 3 hours late or something like that). Worst part is that I put my kid on a train and she gets to see a drunk get tossed.

Sigh.
sad there is so much joy rideing a amtrak train,

i hope i never see any thing unpleasent aboard

a train

anderson

Wabbit, you take help of the Spell-checker. It will help you with spellings, punctuation and correct grammar. When you write something in your reply box that is not grammatically correct, you will see a squiggly red line under the word. If you right-click your mouse on that word, you will see options suggested by Spell-checker to correct your mistake. It is easy and does not take much time.

in comparison to some of the other stories, this isn't incredibly strange, but it was still pretty odd. I was on the CZ in february of 2011 in a sleeper, but I spent a lot of time in the SSL. there was a woman probably in her mid- to late-30s who was decked out in a big, poofy (cheap) wedding dress, complete with veil, a bouquet of artificial roses and white sneakers. she wore the whole outfit all the way from chicago to emeryville. she even ate with the veil on. i was doing a rail vacation, so i was doing a roundtrip on the CZ. i spent the night in EMY and in the morning headed over to the station to board the eastbound CZ. the moment I walked into the station i saw the "bride", and sure enough she was headed all the way to chicago as well. on board, the lounge car attendant, who didn't seem to have a high opinion of train nerds ("you actually do this for vacation?") asked me if she and I were traveling together. i saw her leaving the station in chicago but I've always wondered about who she was and why she was dressed that way.

A little over a year ago, I was on the Northbound Meteor. A young man came aboard and his pants were hung quite low....after we departed the Conductor noticed it and asked him to pull his pants up....he didn't do it....the Conductor then gave him 3 choices...

1. Pull your pants up so I can not see the crack of your a**

2. Pull your shirt down so I can not see the crack of your a**

3. Get off my train!

We made an unscheduled stop and he ended up with option 3....
laugh.gif

imple good manners, on the other hand, are much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks.
Look no further than the 7:30 weeknight Chicago outbound of Metra's Union Pacific Railroad Northwest line. I only ride to the third stop and the long-suffering conductors are obliged to tell grown adults multiple times to take their bags off the seat next to them so another passenger can sit down, and to get their feet off the seats. Once the conductors are out of sight, many of these adults enjoy making a grand display of putting their bags and feet back on the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
anderson

Wabbit, you take help of the Spell-checker. It will help you with spellings, punctuation and correct grammar. When you write something in your reply box that is not grammatically correct, you will see a squiggly red line under the word. If you right-click your mouse on that word, you will see options suggested by Spell-checker to correct your mistake. It is easy and does not take much time.
thank u Texas eagle i never new what those squiggly lines were for

imple good manners, on the other hand, are much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks.
Look no further than the 7:30 weeknight Chicago outbound of Metra's Union Pacific Railroad Northwest line. I only ride to the third stop and the long-suffering conductors are obliged to tell grown adults multiple times to take their bags off the seat next to them so another passenger can sit down, and to get their feet off the seats. Once the conductors are out of sight, many of these adults enjoy making a grand display of putting their bags and feet back on the seats.
I've seen this on the Pacific Surfliner. Very discouraging how flat out rude some folks WANT to be. :(

After hearing all these cool stories, I am trying to convince my wife to allow us to cancel our Bedroom on our next trip so I might have something worth posting on this thread. Needless to say, I am not making much progress with my request to her.

A little over a year ago, I was on the Northbound Meteor. A young man came aboard and his pants were hung quite low....after we departed the Conductor noticed it and asked him to pull his pants up....he didn't do it....the Conductor then gave him 3 choices...

1. Pull your pants up so I can not see the crack of your a**

2. Pull your shirt down so I can not see the crack of your a**

3. Get off my train!

We made an unscheduled stop and he ended up with option 3....
laugh.gif
Stories that end in someone getting booted from the train somehow almost never fail to be amusing with the benefit of distance.

After hearing all these cool stories, I am trying to convince my wife to allow us to cancel our Bedroom on our next trip so I might have something worth posting on this thread. Needless to say, I am not making much progress with my request to her.
Perhaps instead you can be part of someone else's story by going into a coach and doing something wacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back