Strangest Things You've seen in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
imple good manners, on the other hand, are much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks.
Look no further than the 7:30 weeknight Chicago outbound of Metra's Union Pacific Railroad Northwest line. I only ride to the third stop and the long-suffering conductors are obliged to tell grown adults multiple times to take their bags off the seat next to them so another passenger can sit down, and to get their feet off the seats. Once the conductors are out of sight, many of these adults enjoy making a grand display of putting their bags and feet back on the seats.
Never happened to me on Milwaukee North line to glenview.

Put my foot on the seat and conductor didnt tell me anything.

After hearing all these cool stories, I am trying to convince my wife to allow us to cancel our Bedroom on our next trip so I might have something worth posting on this thread. Needless to say, I am not making much progress with my request to her.
Perhaps instead you can be part of someone else's story by going into a coach and doing something wacky.
Touche!

imple good manners, on the other hand, are much more current. That is what is seriously lacking nowadays, and not just in the younger folks.
Look no further than the 7:30 weeknight Chicago outbound of Metra's Union Pacific Railroad Northwest line. I only ride to the third stop and the long-suffering conductors are obliged to tell grown adults multiple times to take their bags off the seat next to them so another passenger can sit down, and to get their feet off the seats. Once the conductors are out of sight, many of these adults enjoy making a grand display of putting their bags and feet back on the seats.
Never happened to me on Milwaukee North line to glenview. Put my foot on the seat and conductor didnt tell me anything.
Oh look, another rebel without a clue.

My favorite UPRR Northwest Line conductor often will stop and stare at a passenger with his or her feet on the seat. When the passenger finally looks up and asks, "What?" the conductor will say: "What is wrong with this picture?" :giggle:

My favorite UPRR Northwest Line conductor often will stop and stare at a passenger with his or her feet on the seat. When the passenger finally looks up and asks, "What?" the conductor will say: "What is wrong with this picture?" :giggle:
That reminds me of the BIG mistake I made when I was leaning back on a table in the Cafe Car on the TE while I waiting my turn in line.
ohmy.gif
blush.gif

He refused to make eye contact with the passengers but he sure managed to see that
mosking.gif

What's wrong with putting your bag on the seat, as long as you're not preventing another passenger from sitting there? On my MARC commute, I'll leave my bag on the seat until I get to Odenton, where the train fills up. Then, I'll take it off so that people can use the seat, but if no one takes the seat, I'll put the bag back there.

Putting feet on the seat is something else, though. I don't think I've ever seen that in MARC land.

Not everyone takes their bags off of the seat.

Since the conductors can't check at that exact moment, most agencies (including MARC) have a no-bags-on-seats policy.

(and as a rider that boards at Odenton, I wish that it was enforced more often - I shouldn't have to ask people to move their crap so I can sit when there are a crowd of people standing around)

Regarding the feet-on-seat discussion:

I believe I might be one of the culprits y'all give an evil eye to (though I haven't noticed so far!)

That said, if I do put my feet up on a seat I make sure of three things:

1. the train is empty enough that I'm not preventing anyone from being seated.

2. I find an old newspaper or napkin or something so that my feet aren't directly dirtying the seat.

3. I'm not in a dining/lounge/cafe car of some sort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back