Stopover AGR?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
If I book a trip FAR-CHI arriving at 3:55PM on the EB, and leave CHI-DEN 2PM the next day on the CZ, I understand that could be booked as one AGR trip since the layover is less than 24 hours? Is that correct? I understand the overnight in CHI would be on my dime......

If I book a trip FAR-CHI arriving at 3:55PM on the EB, and leave CHI-DEN 2PM the next day on the CZ, I understand that could be booked as one AGR trip since the layover is less than 24 hours? Is that correct? I understand the overnight in CHI would be on my dime......
Probably not, but you can always try. There is no published route from FAR to DEN so they will probably want to book this as two one zone rewards. The guidelines all specified published routes.

Where a published route contains a valid connection of 23 hours, 30 minutes or less, an overnight stay in the connecting city is permitted at the passenger's own expense. (Example: one-way travel from New York to El Paso, where the published route requires an overnight connection in New Orleans, would be permitted on the same redemption.)

Edit - Changed route from FAR to DEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...it's bookable as a multi-city....wonder if that counts as a published route....
No. Multi-City bookings are not "published routes". A published route shows when you put a city pair into ARROW and multiple trains show.

For instance put in BOS-SEA.. You get several different routings.

The obvious 449-7, 449-27-506, 449-5-14, 449-3-14. That there is four different ways to get from BOS-SEA, and you can book those in an AGR booking. Say I put in BOS-WAS-CHI-SEA, none of the options would be a Valid "published connection".

No, it is not suspended. It's just not guaranteed. But you can still stay overnight in PDX (on your own dime) and catch the CS the next day.

And I hope the earlier poster meant "There is no published route from FAR to DEN", not "FAR to CHI"! The EB stops in FAR and ends in CHI, so I hope there is a published route.

No, it is not suspended. It's just not guaranteed. But you can still stay overnight in PDX (on your own dime) and catch the CS the next day.

But I guess that would mean a separate AGR redemption?

And I hope the earlier poster meant "There is no published route from FAR to DEN", not "FAR to CHI"! The EB stops in FAR and ends in CHI, so I hope there is a published route.

It can be the same ressy. You have to spend a night in PDX on your dime. On a AGR reservation you must depart 23 hrs and 30 mins after the scheduled arrival of your train. But since the CS leaves outside of that time frame it has to be a separate booking. Unless AGR has some sort of policy on the EB/CS connection in PDX.

Oops. I corrected the error in case someone else finds this thread down the road. Thanks for the catch.

It can be the same ressy. You have to spend a night in PDX on your dime. On a AGR reservation you must depart 23 hrs and 30 mins after the scheduled arrival of your train. But since the CS leaves outside of that time frame it has to be a separate booking. Unless AGR has some sort of policy on the EB/CS connection in PDX.
They do (they didn't yesterday, but today they do). Where there was previously a guaranteed connection, an overnight is now allowed on the passenger's dime to make it a single award.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/58299-good-news-about-suspended-connections/

Will AGR let you make the connection with the CS in Seattle instead of PDX if your willing to spend the money to overnight there?

Since it's not a "published" route, ie: you can't make a non-multi-trip booking on Amtrak.com, I believe the latest set of clarified rules from last year would indicate that the answer is no.

However, there is some 23 hour rule I don't quite understand.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Back