Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it's unlikely that a reroute would happen before the end of next year but a reroute could happen on short notice at almost anytime. For a 'station' a short slab of ADA compliant platform and a mobile temporary building would be enough of a set-up to conduct business while better, permanent station facilities are established.

Consider a worst-case scenario (say a washout in Springer, NM) rendering any part of this otherwise unused route out-of-service. The need to 'fix-it' doesn't exist and suddenly a reroute is happening on short notice whether the stations along the way are firmly established or not.
Amtrak has made it quite clear that the various interested parties have until the end of next year to figure out a solution, or Amtrak will start down the road of making arrangements to move to the Transcon. There will be no sudden reroutes.

The agreement for current route runs for a few more years meaning that, even in the case of a washout that could result in a temporary reroute, BNSF is obligated to restore that bridge so that Amtrak can resume service.
Hi Alan -

I'm not disputing this at all - Just suggesting that if some major event such as a washout took place in, say October 2013, and no progress had been made on securing ongoing funding to maintain the route by that time.......

Initially the train begins detouring within a day or two. BNSF really doesn't want to spend any money repairing a route which they would have otherwise already abandoned if not for Amtrak. BNSF asks to go the meeting room with Amtrak to 'work something out'.....ie: a new operating agreement acceptable to both parties and the next thing you know, the detour becomes the new route with temporary station facilities being hastily established.

Yes - I'm working on conjecture alone here BUT I can envision this sort of scenario playing out more easily than imagining the SWC will continue to operate via Raton Pass long-term.

I agree that it's unlikely that a reroute would happen before the end of next year but a reroute could happen on short notice at almost anytime. For a 'station' a short slab of ADA compliant platform and a mobile temporary building would be enough of a set-up to conduct business while better, permanent station facilities are established.

Consider a worst-case scenario (say a washout in Springer, NM) rendering any part of this otherwise unused route out-of-service. The need to 'fix-it' doesn't exist and suddenly a reroute is happening on short notice whether the stations along the way are firmly established or not.
Amtrak has made it quite clear that the various interested parties have until the end of next year to figure out a solution, or Amtrak will start down the road of making arrangements to move to the Transcon. There will be no sudden reroutes.

The agreement for current route runs for a few more years meaning that, even in the case of a washout that could result in a temporary reroute, BNSF is obligated to restore that bridge so that Amtrak can resume service.
Hi Alan -

I'm not disputing this at all - Just suggesting that if some major event such as a washout took place in, say October 2013, and no progress had been made on securing ongoing funding to maintain the route by that time.......

Initially the train begins detouring within a day or two. BNSF really doesn't want to spend any money repairing a route which they would have otherwise already abandoned if not for Amtrak. BNSF asks to go the meeting room with Amtrak to 'work something out'.....ie: a new operating agreement acceptable to both parties and the next thing you know, the detour becomes the new route with temporary station facilities being hastily established.

Yes - I'm working on conjecture alone here BUT I can envision this sort of scenario playing out more easily than imagining the SWC will continue to operate via Raton Pass long-term.
Amtrak would still need to initiate formal abandonemnt procedings. In the interim, the old route would be temporarily suspended, a bit like the Sunset East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back