Silver Star stuck for more than 12 hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What did they do with the crew when their time ran out?
This was not in the middle of the Prairies 50 miles from the next inhabited place. It was just 3 miles from RVR. A relief crew could walk over along the track before the other crew timed out :) Heck they could even borrow an entire engine with a crew if needed out of Acca Yard 5 miles away!

So now people are say it did not have a dinner after RVR. 12 hours to drop a car with a bad (non-turning) wheel.

Glad to know when the engines were locking up their axles, it did not take 12 hours to drop the engine in a sliding.

Also happy to hear from "jis" that Amtrak employee were not pleased. Good to know people still care.

You know, the more I think about it...yeah, I have to wonder why they didn't shove something together involving running an emergency "Super Meteor" (if nothing else) for most of the passengers, work out some sort of ersatz cab arrangement between Raleigh/Cary, Columbia, and maybe one of the other stops and corresponding Meteor stops (the smaller stops could probably have made do with a taxi if they even had anyone boarding/disembarking, and Amtrak could arguably have frozen sales for those stops once they realized how badly they were off on this one). Down in FL, adding buses should be workable (since you've got 12+ hours to work things out, which should allow a "scramble" of something, even if it's a Marne-esque taxi rush). Granted, this wouldn't necessarily have been a super-cheap option, but it beats what happened.

Yes, it's Monday-morning quarterbacking, but this is a mess that should not be repeated.

So where is this offending Heritage Diner now? Also has Amtrak management given an official account of what happened?
I'll give them a Dollar for it provided they can haul it to my backyard. But then I'd have to convince the neighbors and the City it's just a Storage Shed :unsure: :p

The other thing is, given how close this was to a station, I'm surprised someone just didn't say to heck with it and self evacuate. That has happened on Washington Metro numerous times - the train gets stuck somewhere for 2 or 3 hours, someone faints or has an anxiety attack, and they just pull the emergency exit and leave.
I hear Amtrak-lovers here saying they would not mind sitting in their comfortable roomettes and sleepers on a stationary train for 12 hours, but if it was me, after 3 or 4 hours, I would probably ask the conductor to let me off the train and walk 3 miles to the station, and since I know they would not allow this, the other option is to "call sick", then they would dispatch an ambulance or cop car something, I can get off the train, take first-aid for exhaustion etc and be on my way. Sitting 12 hours in an idle train is way beyond my tolerance level.

the other option is to "call sick", then they would dispatch an ambulance or cop car something, I can get off the train, take first-aid for exhaustion etc and be on my way.
That's incredibly uncool, and not fair to the person that actually might need that ambulance for a real emergency.
True this, it may even be against the law, filing a false report! ;)

I thought it was pretty clever! Being trapped on a train could cause someone anxiety if you ask me.

If I had been on that train I would at least be thinking about contacting a lawyer. 12 hours should be beyond legal limit to not offer people alternatives.

I hope Mica, or whoever, has a field day with this.

I thought it was pretty clever! Being trapped on a train could cause someone anxiety if you ask me.
If I had been on that train I would at least be thinking about contacting a lawyer. 12 hours should be beyond legal limit to not offer people alternatives.

I hope Mica, or whoever, has a field day with this.
We'll have to agree to disagree about the Ambulance but you are right about that *#***** Mica!! No point in giving Charlatans like that Ammunition!

The other thing is, given how close this was to a station, I'm surprised someone just didn't say to heck with it and self evacuate. That has happened on Washington Metro numerous times - the train gets stuck somewhere for 2 or 3 hours, someone faints or has an anxiety attack, and they just pull the emergency exit and leave.
I hear Amtrak-lovers here saying they would not mind sitting in their comfortable roomettes and sleepers on a stationary train for 12 hours, but if it was me, after 3 or 4 hours, I would probably ask the conductor to let me off the train and walk 3 miles to the station, and since I know they would not allow this, the other option is to "call sick", then they would dispatch an ambulance or cop car something, I can get off the train, take first-aid for exhaustion etc and be on my way. Sitting 12 hours in an idle train is way beyond my tolerance level.
No, I don't think asking the conductor's permission is the right way to do it. He's just going to say no. If you're bailing, just take your bag and leave, not saying a word to anyone. Maybe tip the SCA to close the door behind you, if you're in a sleeper. What's the conductor going to do, if he even sees you leave the train? Run after you, tackle you, and drag you back on the train? Of course, now you're on foot, at night, in a place you don't know, next to a busy main line, but we're just talking ways and means, not whether leaving the train is a good idea.

Claiming to be sick wouldn't be a good idea, not only because it ties up medical resources, but also because you'd probably spend hours waiting to be treated at an emergency room. Having done both, I'd rather wait on a train than in an emergency room.

I can see someone like Mica taking this opportunity to introduce the Rail Passengers' Bill of Rights, like was done for air passengers in the past, the one that levies huge fines on airlines for holding passengers on tarmac for more than three hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think asking the conductor's permission is the right way to do it. He's just going to say no. If you're bailing, just take your bag and leave, not saying a word to anyone. Maybe tip the SCA to close the door behind you, if you're in a sleeper. What's the conductor going to do, if he even sees you leave the train? Run after you, tackle you, and drag you back on the train? Of course, now you're on foot, at night, in a place you don't know, next to a busy main line, but we're just talking ways and means, not whether leaving the train is a good idea.

Claiming to be sick wouldn't be a good idea, not only because it ties up medical resources, but also because you'd probably spend hours waiting to be treated at an emergency room. Having done both, I'd rather wait on a train than in an emergency room.
I grew up not far from where the train sat and know enough to stop look and listen when crossing tracks. I would have bailed and hauled a$$. Judging from the reports it looked like there was a sizable police presence so I would have spent the next 14 hours or so in the lockup anyway.

Yeah, ERs are no fun. Was just in ours the wee hours of this morning with my daughter who had a very painful earache, which perforated while we waited. Checked in at 3 am, finished the "paperwork" & triage by 4 am. Wasn't taken back to a room until after 6 am. And the waiting room wasn't that busy. All we needed was for a dr to look at her ear & then prescribe the antibiotics. Still, it was better than waiting to be able to call her ENT & waiting till she could get in to see him. A bit more expensive too.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the Diner out of service at least part of the time does anyone know how those on board were fed and watered? Was a Stew Emergency declared or did they just burn through the Lounge stock and Service Recovery Kits? Hopefully someone on board was familiar with Chapter 9 of the Service Standards Manual!

Dan: Look, Bendix made a stew. I had no idea there was a foot in it.

Dan: You eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal. What a world!

Kitty Baxter: Dan's a good man, and he's never eaten a whole person in his entire life.

Calling a Ambulance to get you out of a location is a common issue.

I have had people do it during a snow storm (they live above the town on a hill).

My squad has pull people off airlines stuck on the tarmac.

My squad recently had it happen during flooding.

No you should not, but the "me first, and only me" people do.

If you read the story it was noted a local Poilce officer came aboard the stuck train.

Something happened to delay the northbound Star (92 - July 10th) today between Sebring and Winter Haven. The Silver Star has not had a good few days.

"Bathrooms were operational and passengers could move within the train."

On an east coast Amtrak train? Hah! I can imagine what they must have been like in coach. Amtrak crew can't keep them operational or clean for a normal trip on Silvers or Crescent.

I've been stuck on an Amtrak train for 12 hours in a sleeper. Jeez, it's not torture. I read, took naps, etc. Stuff happens when you travel.

I agree with all the frustration and criticism expressed here, and it is well warranted. Sadly Amtrak has become a typical government agency where its employees at most levels are performing only what is required to keep their jobs, having learned long ago that making decisions and taking control are career limiting. Privately run railroads were such a pleasure to ride 50+ years ago.
It doesn't sound that way from all the stories I read here on Amtrak Unlimited. Actually, it sounds like most Amtrak employees are empowered to provide really good customer service. Amtrak has had all kinds of weird service disruptions and handled them well. This is unusual... not good, of course, but not typical.

I heard that Pullman sleepers in the olden days had bedbugs. ;)

If they did the airlines would be out of business. lol.
The airlines lack competition and that's a fact. Where there is competition they bleed customers.

Not only do they lack competition but in many cases it's a heavily subsidized lack of competition. Any wonder they're as hated as the phone company in the olden days?

I was on an MBTA train (rapid transit) that got stopped between stations. The third rail had shorted. It was not really safe to evacuate and the T thought they could fix it, so we were stuck. It was hot out and the air wasn't working (no power) so it wasn't long before somebody on that long train hit the emergency button because she had an anxiety attack and was hyperventilating. The driver had to come down and help her out.

Several trains passed us (luckily, a coworker was on one of those trains and provided my alibi when I showed up late for work that day) and then the crews found what was causing the short and we finally got power, air, and then clearance to proceed on our way.

Faking is not nice but there are plenty of members of the public who will get physically sick in such circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back