Seeking carry-on food suggestions.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking maybe getting a flameless ration heater was possible, but it may be considered an "incindiery" which would be prohibited. I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to bring aboard some types of camping gear like propane or butane cylinders. I have brought chemical hand warmers on board, but those are pretty safe.
When we took the EB from ARB to PDX we brought one of these along. Plugs into your standard outlet and in a few mins, Hot Water! Works a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE

peter
I think a conductor could theoretically not allow something like that to be used. It could be under the category of "appliance". I'd like to see what would happen if someone brought along a small microwave oven and plugged it in.

I mean - there are things you're not supposed to bring on board, including stuff like sealed automotive brake fluid. Heck - the official rules say anything with a propellant isn't allowed, and that could include hair spray or even Reddi-Whip.

Prohibited Items

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm in Sleeper I put either some Cashews or Trail Mix and a few individually wrapped Treats such as Brownies or Candy Bars in my grip. I use to bring a few small bottles of soda and additional snacks as well but quickly learned to cut back when I still had most of them at destination. Yes, the Diner does a great job of keeping you foundered :)

Would not use a flameless ration heater (ala MRE heater, just add water type) as it smells horribe, and emits gasses that are not great to be breathing, such as in an enclosed train car. Bad idea. Especially if I'm sitting behind you having to smell it! Hate the smll of those things....don't use in enclosed areas. (Like a train....)

Would not use a flameless ration heater (ala MRE heater, just add water type) as it smells horribe, and emits gasses that are not great to be breathing, such as in an enclosed train car. Bad idea. Especially if I'm sitting behind you having to smell it! Hate the smll of those things....don't use in enclosed areas. (Like a train....)
Yes. MREs and freeze dried foods will also send you downstairs in a Superliner

An other thing not to bring is the tasty nutritious dozen of raw oysters. They keep fairly well on ice, but the spilled juice gets stinky and offends. As I've said before.

What aftertaste? Why not pick a soda which has none? Better yet, water?

Additional point, bring bottled water or if you want to refill your bottles bring the small 8oz sizes because Amtrak sinks and spouts are notoriously small. My first train trip I ended up crushing water bottles to make them fit in the sinks.

The soda is with lime to hide the aftertaste.
I often bring powered drinks and refill my water bottle from the tap and add a packet of powder. Helps reduce the aftertaste of the tap water and gives some decent flavor. Most powdered drinks are portioned for 16.9 oz (500 ml), so that would be the size bottle I bring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a comparison-
Cheeseburger (microwave) - $5.75

Chips - $1.75

Drink - $2.00

Dining Car

Cheeseburger with Chips (burger is reheated in convection oven, bread is usually warmed on grill)

Served with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle.

$9.75 - includes water, tea, coffee, iced tea, or milk.
You left out the tip, which hypothetically doesn't have to be anything but let's say you're reasonable and give $3 in the diner and $1 for the cafe... that brings your diner experience to 12.75 and the cafe to 10.50. You're paying quite a lot for that serving of vegetables, though I will say it's probably worth it. And since tea or milk suits me fine I don't worry about the soda.

An advantage to the diner is that your LSA won't be microwaving the burger and the bun at the same time!

An other thing not to bring is the tasty nutritious dozen of raw oysters. They keep fairly well on ice, but the spilled juice gets stinky and offends. As I've said before.
That's true, and then you have the problem of shucking the oysters on a moving train.

For our next trip west on the Empire Builder we'll add caviar and champagne to our usual carry-on provisions (smokehouse almonds and liquor). I've always wanted to traverse the dusty plains of Montana eating caviar and sipping champagne in our private compartment.

Is it just me, though or is the sparkling wine furnished on the Empire Builder become even worse in the past year? I'm no champagne snob, and I appreciate that it's free, but the last bottles we got on the Empire Builder out of Chicago were undrinkable undoctored, even by my low standards. Not so bad with cranberry juice added, though.

Or if the train is on time (hard to assume, I know), ask some of the fellow travelers in the lounge where places to eat at some of the longer service stops are. You might have to hustle but there are places available in most of the larger cities within walking distance. Even a 7-11 or convenience store would be better price wise than Amtrak, and you can get some exercise.

Here's a comparison-
Cheeseburger (microwave) - $5.75

Chips - $1.75

Drink - $2.00

Dining Car

Cheeseburger with Chips (burger is reheated in convection oven, bread is usually warmed on grill)

Served with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle.

$9.75 - includes water, tea, coffee, iced tea, or milk.
You left out the tip, which hypothetically doesn't have to be anything but let's say you're reasonable and give $3 in the diner and $1 for the cafe... that brings your diner experience to 12.75 and the cafe to 10.50. You're paying quite a lot for that serving of vegetables, though I will say it's probably worth it. And since tea or milk suits me fine I don't worry about the soda.

An advantage to the diner is that your LSA won't be microwaving the burger and the bun at the same time!
I meant to mention the tip actually. You are correct.

And a good dining car crew will actually grill the buns a bit, while the patty is reheated. I know there is certainly a big difference in taste between the veggie burger in the cafe car and the one on the diner. The diner has some flavor while the cafe car is more like eating seasoned cardboard. I can't speak for the traditional burger though.

And while most people just want to know about value... the presentation is certainly night and day. A microwaved burger still wrapped in plastic served in a cardboard carry out tray vs. A burger and chips presented on Amtrak "China" (faux or real depending on route) with Amtrak signature silverware, and a white table cloth. To some it may not matter... but those details add up for me.

Do not forget many of the larger stations have a nice variety of food in the headhouse, including places you can restock you snack supplies.

If you are ever "lucky" enough to pass through El Paso on the Sunset Limited be sure to try the offerings from the Burrito Lady if she is there. A Pizza guy often prowls the platform at San Antonio at night offering a Large for about $5. There was a Hot Dog guy regularly at FTW at lunchtime but I haven't seen him there my past few turns. And I've heard from time to time a Burrito Truck shows up at ABQ for the Southwest Chief but do not know if that information is still current.

If you are in a roomette, the food is not THAT bad that you need to bring much - if any - back-up food unless you have food allergies or are an extremely picky eater. I'm a bit picky but, speaking from my experiences, it seems like every time I turn around it is meal time again and I'll skip the odd meal to give my full stomach a rest. Since all one does is just sit, one does not burn lots of calories...
If you have food alergies let Amtrak know when you make your reservations. They may be able to accomodate you.

Per Amtrak website:

"Special menu selections, including kosher and vegan are available on most trains with 72-hour advanced notice. 24-hour advanced notice is required for Acela Express First Class service. Vegetarian meals do not require advance notice.

To reserve your meal, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). TTY service is available at 1-800-523-6590"

What do they mean exactly when they say meals are included with your room? Anything I want, even the most expensive entree? And dessert? And drinks?

Yes, your choice of the entrees and a dessert. At least at one time, you could also add a scoop of ice cream to your dessert. (Hubby liked that.) At breakfast you can also add bacon or sausage. It includes tea, coffee, or (perhaps?) milk, but does not include any alcoholic beverages. Everyone traveling in the sleeping compartment gets their meals at no extra charge in the dining car.

We usually brought minimum snacks, and often those went untouched. If you have sleeping accommodations, I'd suggest trying the dining car a time or two. The food we've had was always OK to pretty good. Don't expect 5-star restaurant fare, though. But it's not that bad, and you've paid for it with your sleeper ticket.

Guest Anne.

Any meal you would like, regardless of price. All meals come with salad, dinner roll, a side of vegetables, and your choice of mashed potatoes, baked potatoe, or rice pilaf. (Pasta dishes only get the veggies).

Your meal also includes any non-alcaholic beverage, and your choice of dessert.

It should also be noted that during breakfast, side meats (bacon or sausage) that would usually cost extra, are also included. Likewise during lunch, you can add bacon to your burger for free. Things like that.

Thanks, guys. I've only traveled coach before this upcoming trip, and I did eat in the dining car, but had to pay for my meals. ( I met some very interesting people in the dining car. ) This trip I'll be in a room, so wasn't sure what they meant by meals included. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, guys. I've only traveled coach before this upcoming trip, and I did eat in the dining car, but had to pay for my meals. ( I met some very interesting people in the dining car. ) This trip I'll be in a room, so wasn't sure what they meant by meals included. Thanks for your help.
In addition I believe that you can have your meals brought to you in your roomette by the attendant. A generous tip would probably be a good thing. Or else get your meal as a carry-out in the diner and take it back to your roomette yourself.

Interesting to read all this. Back when the RR's ran the passenger trains few could afford to eat in the diner. We always went coach and brought sandwiches and fried chicken to eat and crackers and cheese. Sometimes we would get breakfast in the diner. But, if you are going in a sleeper, by all means try out the diner. Amtrak food is actually pretty good and it is included in your ticket. I usually eat breakfast and dinner as three meals a day when you are doing nothing but sitting is just too much. Sometimes I get a light lunch, like a salad or soup.

I've had good luck with the diner and would never hesitate to eat there, especially since its included in my sleeper ticket. I do however, bring a bunch of nuts/trail mix type snacks in individual serving packs purchased from Trader Joe's or Costco. Oh, and a bottle of Jack Daniel's as well!

A little bit off this specific topic but a memorable carry-on train meal I enjoyed immensely while traveling across Europe on a Eurail Pass in the 1980's. At a short lay over in Austria I de-trained and purchased a quite small roast chicken and a small chunk of hard cheese from a little shop not far from the station. Back on board and as the train chugged slowly out of the station I unwrapped the bird and cheese and very much enjoyed along with some crusty bread and a bottle of red wine I had stashed in my compartment. Noshing this delectable spur-of-the-moment indulgence as the Austrian country side wooshed past the window gave me a feeling like no other and no words to describe. Except to say that I've had several similar meals since but it was being on that train that did it for me. And now back to our regular program.

I've stopped bringing food with me on Amtrak. Regardless of whether I'm in a sleeper or in coach, I always end up having some left over and feel bad about wasting it.

Dried fruit/nut bars do the trick for me. I enjoy the Cherry pie Larabars and the Bora Bora walnut pistachio raisin bars . Sometimes I take dark chocolate covered pomegranate bites, dried organic apricots (I'm allergic to sulfur dioxide), Macadamia or Pistachio nuts (shelled), pop chips, and a small cooler stocked with my favorite soft drink like Orange Pelligrino, Starbucks double shot espresso, and Starbucks Mocha Frapuccino. I find that one full ice loading done before I leave my home is good for a full 24 hours. Great for overnight trips.

Amtrak sleeper food is fine - the chicken and steak and beef-burger are always safe, as are the scrambled eggs. I try to bring cheese, crackers, chocolate, a good bottle of scotch or gin -- just enough to eat at least one lunch in my room and sleep well at night. As others have said, 3 Amtrak meals a day are just too much for old-folks like me getting no exercise.

The most memorable food I ever got was smoked fish on the sleeper Kiev/Odessa - sold by a toothless old man who corrected my Russian grammar before he would sell me the fish (odin riba, nyet, odno ribo IIRC). Two days before I had made the mistake of assuming there'd be food Moscow/Kiev in sleeper class. Nyet. Nichivo or some such. But I was sharing the compartment with two "babushkas" who had brought along two chickens that had been boiled do the point where they were totally sterile -- and tasteless -- but they sure did the trick.

Best meal might have been on CP between Vancouver and Calgary or DRG Salt Lake/Denver. I also shared a caboose in Mexico with a hung-up-to-drain dead chicken but apparently it was being saved for the next trip as crew made no effort to cook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back