Seeking carry-on food suggestions.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brazzman

Train Attendant
Will be on the SWC3 CHI > LAX in November and back on the SWC4. This will be my 2nd time on this route. The Ist time in coach I carried on some food and snack items. This time will be in a roomette. Even tho meals are included, I intend to, again, pack some food as back-up due to reading about the sub-standard (bad to terrible) menu items here. Although riders generally approve of the breakfast choices, the two breakfasts I had last time were just OK. Scrambled eggs and F. toast. Along with the usual nuts and fruit, hard cheese and salami, energy bars and hard boiled eggs (which I was thinking about while having the scrambled) I'm wondering about other items that will "keep" without refrigeration for a couple days and since I'll have more storage space in the roomette. Any suggestions. Oh and is there a microwave available on board for use by the passengers?

Your carry-on choices sound fine to me. I also took some beef jerky and a few candy bars (I had a small TravelPro cooler to keep things like chocolates & cheeses from melting). However, I do encourage you to give the dining car team a try at lunch and dinner. They did an excellent job on my trip on #4 last fall - the chef's special was so delicious, I had it twice (once at each dinner time)!

Edit: clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
And you don't have to worry about "sneaking on food"! As long as it doesn't need to be microwaved or cooled (beyond the ice bucket or if you bring a small cooler), there is no problem bring your own food!

I carry with me:

A) Case of Diet Coca Cola with lime.

B) Jar of peanuts.

C) 3lb bag of Granny Smith Apples.

D) Heater Meals.

The apple are a firm breed that can handle getting banged around, the heater meals can be bought at some truckstops. (www.heatermeals.com) Watch the code dates. The soda is with lime to hide the aftertaste.

All the above fit into one carry on, with my standard equipment for a train trip. So one roller bag, one clothing bag. My hometown station does have check luggage service.

One food item I discovered a while back that I now take with me on all my trips is a small tupperware with cereal & dry milk in it. When I want a nice breakfast, just add water & there you go!

peter

My absolute favorite - I even have this for lunch at work some days - is to take tortilla wraps or sandwich wraps, spread peanut butter on them, dice up some apples and add those, and then add some raisins. You roll it up into a tube shape and then cut it into pieces, sort of like pinwheel cookies. I just call them "apple roll-ups". They're great for kids too.

They're really filling and nutritious. You get fiber, healthy fats, and protein all in one sitting, along with a couple servings of fruit. A few pieces will keep me full for hours. They're good for breakfast or lunch. I can usually get 12-14 in a small tupperware container.

I was thinking maybe getting a flameless ration heater was possible, but it may be considered an "incindiery" which would be prohibited. I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to bring aboard some types of camping gear like propane or butane cylinders. I have brought chemical hand warmers on board, but those are pretty safe.

Any traditional camping fare does well on Amtrak, nuts and fruits, dried meats and cheeses, candy bars, chips and snacks, be sure to go to the cafe car for a burger or something to fill yourself up and feel social. Avoid things which will make you seek out, the um, facilities downstairs... and protip-- garlic bologna is not well received in coach. Neither is roquefort. I speak from experience on all accounts.

What aftertaste? Why not pick a soda which has none? Better yet, water?

Additional point, bring bottled water or if you want to refill your bottles bring the small 8oz sizes because Amtrak sinks and spouts are notoriously small. My first train trip I ended up crushing water bottles to make them fit in the sinks.

The soda is with lime to hide the aftertaste.

If you are in a roomette, the food is not THAT bad that you need to bring much - if any - back-up food unless you have food allergies or are an extremely picky eater. I'm a bit picky but, speaking from my experiences, it seems like every time I turn around it is meal time again and I'll skip the odd meal to give my full stomach a rest. Since all one does is just sit, one does not burn lots of calories...

Any traditional camping fare does well on Amtrak, nuts and fruits, dried meats and cheeses, candy bars, chips and snacks, be sure to go to the cafe car for a burger or something to fill yourself up and feel social. Avoid things which will make you seek out, the um, facilities downstairs... and protip-- garlic bologna is not well received in coach. Neither is roquefort. I speak from experience on all accounts.
Yes, it was suggested to me to take a couple tins of sardines and rejected the idea for your reason. I think a burger and a beer in the snack cafe bar would be a nice break.

Slightly different question, when traveling coach. If one were to buy a meal on the train (say breakfast and/or lunch). Is it really considerably less to buy at the café than in the dining car? Supper yes, but what about breakfast? Is there anywhere where one can see pricing on café foods? I see people complaining about the price of café food on FB and it just got me to wondering. I may be getting breakfast and/or lunch on board tomorrow. Thanks!

Slightly different question, when traveling coach. If one were to buy a meal on the train (say breakfast and/or lunch). Is it really considerably less to buy at the café than in the dining car? Supper yes, but what about breakfast? Is there anywhere where one can see pricing on café foods? I see people complaining about the price of café food on FB and it just got me to wondering. I may be getting breakfast and/or lunch on board tomorrow. Thanks!
The cafe menus are posted on Amtrak with the diner menus. I'm guessing you'll be on the Cardinal. Here's a link to it's cafe menu. http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/215/482/National_Cafe_122010.pdf

I agree with The Davy Crockett. I have never had what I would call a bad meal in an Amtrak dining car*; some were better than others, some were very good, but none was bad. And after the first dining car meal, I have never been hungry on Amtrak. Any snack I have ever brought has gone untouched. Pack light, leave your pemmican and saltines at home.

*The food in the Bistro car on the Cascades, I have found that to be bad to marginal. But the Bistro car is not a "dining car."

Here's a comparison-

Cheeseburger (microwave) - $5.75

Chips - $1.75

Drink - $2.00

Dining Car

Cheeseburger with Chips (burger is reheated in convection oven, bread is usually warmed on grill)

Served with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle.

$9.75 - includes water, tea, coffee, iced tea, or milk.

Here's a comparison-

Chips - $1.75

Drink - $2.00

Dining Car

Cheeseburger with Chips (burger is reheated in convection oven, bread is usually warmed on grill)

The DC also includes dessert, so if you figure in cheesecake (it would probably be $3 if they served it in the lounge car), it's about even.

I've never needed snacks in the roomette, other than some sunflower seeds or something small. I'm always STUFFED after eating in the DC. I get so excited when we're at the end of the run and they let the adults order from the kids' menu.

A nice smoked gouda with a bottle of Le Creme Pinot Noir

Or, bottle of Hindricks with select stuffed olives and a nice bleu cheese with rye crackers.

Here's a comparison-

Chips - $1.75

Drink - $2.00

Dining Car

The DC also includes dessert, so if you figure in cheesecake (it would probably be $3 if they served it in the lounge car), it's about even.
IINM Deserts are Now up to $6 when Purchased as a Seperate Item in the Diner! As most of us know, Coach Passengers have to Pay Extra for Breakfast Meats, Sodas and Desert when they eat in the Diner! I question if the New Cheescake is worth $6 and don't feel that ANY of the items Sold in the Cafe Car are worth the Airport Prices???? :help:

I've had one piece of cheesecake ever that was worth $6, and it wasn't on Amtrak. Theirs is good, but not THAT good.

Sometimes I wonder if the DC prices are inflated to help sleeper passengers justify the upgrade. I know it was much easier for me to sell the roomette idea to my boyfriend when I pointed out dinner + tip for both of us would come out to ~$80 if we paid out of pocket. ;)

I was thinking maybe getting a flameless ration heater was possible, but it may be considered an "incindiery" which would be prohibited. I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to bring aboard some types of camping gear like propane or butane cylinders. I have brought chemical hand warmers on board, but those are pretty safe.
When we took the EB from ARB to PDX we brought one of these along. Plugs into your standard outlet and in a few mins, Hot Water! Works a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back