SEA or PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonys96

Conductor
The g/f and I are going to use some AGR points and take the CS (northbound due to your suggestions) in August for my birthday present. We will leave LAX since SWA flights are cheaper to there, and need suggestions as to whether to disembark @ SEA or PDX. Which would be better to spend a couple of days at?

Why?

Thanks!

Why not both Tony? Ride the CS from LAX to PDX, spend a couple of nights in PDX (plenty of info on the Web on the City of Roses), then ride a Cascades Train up to SEA, again plenty of info available on here! When the Gathering was held in SEA 2 years ago, we did a Day trip to PDX and many of our members either live in PDX or SEA or have been there many times so plenty of info here on AU also! Lucky you to have a GF that likes to Travel! :cool:

August is a BUSY time in Both Cities so I suggest that ya'll Book ASAP to get Rooms (both Cities have Good Hostels), Planes and Trains @ the Lowest Buckets possible!

And look into Flying to ABQ or ELP on SWA and taking the SWC or SL to LAX, same Number of points for a 1 Zone Award and they connect with the CS up the Coast @ LAX! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on where you live in TX you could drive to ELP and leave the car there, or even pick up the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited along the way (Coaching it to ELP wouldn't be too rough) I'm assuming you are returning to your departure city via train; so you can cut the air out altogether and do the run for a total of 40,000 30,000 Points (and if you pay fare to get to ELP you earn some Points to boot)

Tony, Jim's right -- there are lots of things to do in both cities, and you might want to spend time in both. Start with the links in Northwest Train Vacations for Families, and the official Seattle and Portland sites. Then feel free to ask, as there are several AUers from the northwest who'll be happy to help.

Edit: I just created a Seattle page with more of my favorite things to do in Seattle.

Last summer I flew to El Paso from Florida to catch the train (using AGR Pts.). I was connecting to the CS to Portland, Ore. A lot of people complain about the early arrival into LAX, but I love LAUS and had time to read the paper in the courtyards, people watch, walk over to Phillipee's,come back to theTrax Lounge for a "What The Hell, Bloody Mary" before boarding!!!

Point being, ya may as well get the most Bang for the Buck & catch the train in ELP, since it's the border city, between the Central & West Zones!!!

Have fun!!!

RF

Jim's right. August will be busy in both cities. Both downtowns are wonderfully walkable.

One new spot that Portland does have for a train buff is the Oregon Railroad Heritage Foundation. It's currently open Fri, Sat & Sun, Free and is the home of the beautiful 4449. You can get lots of photos next to her and a couple of other engines. Just take the CL Streetcar to the end of the line on the east side and the ORHF is 2 blocks from there.

Enjoy!

To this I'll add that Albuquerque is an easy 'get to the train station from the airport' city. Local bus goes to the transit center next door to Amtrak in about 20 minutes. Costs only a couple of bucks.

Depends what you like, doesn't it? Personally, of Portland and Seattle, I'd go with Portland, but that's just my taste. (I'd pick Albuquerque over either.)

Jim's right. August will be busy in both cities. Both downtowns are wonderfully walkable.One new spot that Portland does have for a train buff is the Oregon Railroad Heritage Foundation. It's currently open Fri, Sat & Sun, Free and is the home of the beautiful 4449. You can get lots of photos next to her and a couple of other engines. Just take the CL Streetcar to the end of the line on the east side and the ORHF is 2 blocks from there.

Enjoy!
And home to the even more handsome SP&S 700! (Sorry.. 700 is an NP design, and this old NP fan couldnt resist)

David

Seattle

Depends what you like, doesn't it? Personally, of Portland and Seattle, I'd go with Portland, but that's just my taste. (I'd pick Albuquerque over either.)
As a Seattleite, I'd advise Portland if you dont already have reservations. August is peak cruise season in Seattle and hotel rooms are hard to come by & can be expensive (even for the dives). If you want to see Seattle, go to PDX. Spend a day or two there & do an AMTRAK Cascades day trip up to the Emerald City.
David

Seattle

Jim's right. August will be busy in both cities. Both downtowns are wonderfully walkable.One new spot that Portland does have for a train buff is the Oregon Railroad Heritage Foundation. It's currently open Fri, Sat & Sun, Free and is the home of the beautiful 4449. You can get lots of photos next to her and a couple of other engines. Just take the CL Streetcar to the end of the line on the east side and the ORHF is 2 blocks from there.

Enjoy!
And home to the even more handsome SP&S 700! (Sorry.. 700 is an NP design, and this old NP fan couldnt resist)

David

Seattle
You're right, the 700 is very handsome. That group of volunteers is to be commended for the way they've rescued and restored those engines. From an Amtrak perspective, it's interesting when they take the 4449 out on a longer excursion. They tuck one of the Amtrak units in between the steam engine and the vintage cars full of passengers. I had guessed that it was an extra engine should the steam unit have problems but then I got to wondering if it also supplies electrical for the passenger cars. In the steam days did the passenger cars have electrical? If so, where did it come from?

Jim's right. August will be busy in both cities. Both downtowns are wonderfully walkable.

One new spot that Portland does have for a train buff is the Oregon Railroad Heritage Foundation. It's currently open Fri, Sat & Sun, Free and is the home of the beautiful 4449. You can get lots of photos next to her and a couple of other engines. Just take the CL Streetcar to the end of the line on the east side and the ORHF is 2 blocks from there.

Enjoy!

David

Seattle
You're right, the 700 is very handsome. That group of volunteers is to be commended for the way they've rescued and restored those engines. From an Amtrak perspective, it's interesting when they take the 4449 out on a longer excursion. They tuck one of the Amtrak units in between the steam engine and the vintage cars full of passengers. I had guessed that it was an extra engine should the steam unit have problems but then I got to wondering if it also supplies electrical for the passenger cars. In the steam days did the passenger cars have electrical? If so, where did it come from?
It is my understanding that the folks who run 4449 and those that run 700 use a seperate HEP power car for the trains. In the Pre-AMTRAK days (and even post AMTRAK for several years power to the passenger cars was provided by generators connected to the axles of the cars. The electricity was stored in large batteries under the car bodies & between the trucks.

Enjoy!

David

Seattle
From an Amtrak perspective, it's interesting when they take the 4449 out on a longer excursion. They tuck one of the Amtrak units in between the steam engine and the vintage cars full of passengers. I had guessed that it was an extra engine should the steam unit have problems but then I got to wondering if it also supplies electrical for the passenger cars. In the steam days did the passenger cars have electrical? If so, where did it come from?
It is my understanding that the folks who run 4449 and those that run 700 use a seperate HEP power car for the trains. In the Pre-AMTRAK days (and even post AMTRAK for several years power to the passenger cars was provided by generators connected to the axles of the cars. The electricity was stored in large batteries under the car bodies & between the trucks.
Picture of an axle driven generator: http://trainweb.org/algoma/Images/Passenger/Coaches/431gen.jpg

Didn't the ORHF buy F40PH 231 and paint it Daylight Colors to provide HEP on 4449 excursions?

I would rather spend more time on the train, myself....but the g/f is still getting into it. I think 30 hours would be her max....for now.

We started with a HF trip from FTW to OKC and back for her first trip a year or so ago, then DAL to LVW and back, and then FTW to SAS and back. She has now agreed to do the CS but I believe going too much/too fast might be counterproductive for her.

She agreed to this because of all she has heard about the CS..........and will do it with me as part of my birthday present to myself.

Now going to PDX and then making a day trip to SEA might be the way to go. anyone got recommendations as to a place to stay in PDX for a couple days? Putting this together the first week in March, as soon as we get back from the Rio Grande Valley where we are going for her sister's wedding. (with a side trip to get BBQ in Taylor with Jim's recommendations)

Thanks!

Tony, Jim's right -- there are lots of things to do in both cities, and you might want to spend time in both. Start with the links in Northwest Train Vacations for Families, and the official Seattle and Portland sites. Then feel free to ask, as there are several AUers from the northwest who'll be happy to help.
Edit: I just created a Seattle page with more of my favorite things to do in Seattle.
Thanks for starting that Seattle page - just added a few bits to it, hope more people here do also.

Would really like to see a page like that for Portland -- but - I can't do it - was only there once a couple decades ago

But I'd really like to see Portland again.

I would rather spend more time on the train, myself....but the g/f is still getting into it. I think 30 hours would be her max....for now.We started with a HF trip from FTW to OKC and back for her first trip a year or so ago, then DAL to LVW and back, and then FTW to SAS and back. She has now agreed to do the CS but I believe going too much/too fast might be counterproductive for her.

She agreed to this because of all she has heard about the CS..........and will do it with me as part of my birthday present to myself.

Now going to PDX and then making a day trip to SEA might be the way to go. anyone got recommendations as to a place to stay in PDX for a couple days? Putting this together the first week in March, as soon as we get back from the Rio Grande Valley where we are going for her sister's wedding. (with a side trip to get BBQ in Taylor with Jim's recommendations)

Thanks!
Well, a longer trip is qualitatively different from a short trip, but for sure either PDX or SEA is a good place to spend a few days with a loved one. I've done it several times. Safe, laid-back cities with rivers and seacoasts and rainy seasons [August will not be rainy season].

Either city you can just walk, fairly cool and comfortable, and talk, and stop for coffee or beer anytime.

Hope you have a good trip, either destination is real good.

(PS - my parents married in San Antone, my kids have been living near Seattle )

I would rather spend more time on the train, myself....but the g/f is still getting into it. I think 30 hours would be her max....for now.We started with a HF trip from FTW to OKC and back for her first trip a year or so ago, then DAL to LVW and back, and then FTW to SAS and back. She has now agreed to do the CS but I believe going too much/too fast might be counterproductive for her.

Thanks!
Tony, I think you are wise to keep things at a reasonable duration instead of trying to cram as much train time in as possible out of respect for your girlfriend. There should be plenty of nice scenery and interesting company and the service on the CS has been pretty friendly in my experience. You can't really go wrong with either PDX or SEA. My personal pick would probably be Seattle, mainly because I'm somewhat more familiar with it and the areas I've visited have a certain look and feel that I find to be a bit more curious and interesting. Portland does have a more interesting train station, in my view, but Seattle is also working on bringing what remains of theirs back to its former grandeur. Both cities can be somewhat expensive for hotels, but if cost becomes a factor you might choose to stay out near the airport and take the light rail systems into town. I'm not sure I'd want to bring my girlfriend to a dorm style hostel but that's another option for lower rates. On the flip side, if money is no object I would also suggest looking at Vancouver, BC. Basically I'd pick Vancouver, then Seattle, then Portland in that order, if it were up to me, but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Check out these links for some more research on your own...

Vancouver: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/vancouver/

Seattle: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/seattle/

Portland: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/portlandor/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg

Thanks for the info!

You are right about "inching" the g/f into riding the rails. As she becomes more and more comfortable with it, we will extend the length/frequency of out trips.

Resurrecting an old thread to ask another question.

We are still doing the CS this summer on AGR, but now the g/f wants to include a stop in Las Vegas of a couple of days. That's OK by me, as I have never been there. We had planned to fly to LA take CS to PDX and fly back to DFW......so how could we include a stop in Las Vegas? Better to fly DFW to Las Vegas then how to get to LA? Or fly back PDX to LAs Vegas, then fly from there to DFW?

I know about the SWC to Kingman, but that would be way out of the way for our trip.......

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thx.

Las Vegas is not too well served by Amtrak if you are coming from the east. Fly to Las Vegas. See the "Strip" and then rent a car if you want to see such things as Hoover Dam and or the Grand Canyon. Return the car and pay cash for the #8535 bus from LVS to LAX. The bus station is not too far from the Fremont Street Experience. The bus leaves at 9:20AM and gets to LAX about 3:30PM.

If you didn't want to spend the night in Los Angeles you could take the late Pacific Surfliner #785 to Santa Barbara.

The Amtrak California buses are much more comfortable than Greyhound IMO.

Thanks!

Looking now at flying to Las Vegas doing two nights there, maybe taking megabus to L.A. overnighting there, then taking CS to PDX, and maybe cascades to Sea and flying back to DFW.

Anyone done that megabus from Las Vegas to L.A.? What about a place to stay in L.A. close to Union Station that would not bankrupt us?

Thanks!

We are still doing the CS this summer on AGR, but now the g/f wants to include a stop in Las Vegas of a couple of days. That's OK by me, as I have never been there. We had planned to fly to LA take CS to PDX and fly back to DFW......so how could we include a stop in Las Vegas? Better to fly DFW to Las Vegas then how to get to LA? Or fly back PDX to LAs Vegas, then fly from there to DFW?

I know about the SWC to Kingman, but that would be way out of the way for our trip.......

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thx.
Aloha

I am not an expert, but since you are planning to fly to LA to catch the CS I would suggest you fly to Vegas. Catch the Amtrak bus to LA and the CS to PDX. I think the Vegas PDX routing is a valid AGR routing.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thx.
Aloha

I am not an expert, but since you are planning to fly to LA to catch the CS I would suggest you fly to Vegas. Catch the Amtrak bus to LA and the CS to PDX. I think the Vegas PDX routing is a valid AGR routing.
It is, but not to LAX. You take the AmBus from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bakersfield. Ride the San Joaquin to Martinez. Then from there you catch the Coast Starlight to Portland. Thus, you've missed the "coast" portion of the Coast Starlight.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thx.
Aloha

It is, but not to LAX. You take the AmBus from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bakersfield. Ride the San Joaquin to Martinez. Then from there you catch the Coast Starlight to Portland. Thus, you've missed the "coast" portion of the Coast Starlight.
Aloha

While there is a Bus out of Vegas to Bakersfield there are Amtrak ticked buses to LA. I have taken the one that connects to the South West Chief. I do not remember the Coast starlight departure time but possibly the late bus out of Vegas Connects to it without an extreme wait. And depending on your desires a night or two in LA may be fun. The Metro Plaza is visible from the front of the LAUS. It is the unofficial AU hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back