SEA or PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Resurrecting an old thread to ask another question.
We are still doing the CS this summer on AGR, but now the g/f wants to include a stop in Las Vegas of a couple of days. That's OK by me, as I have never been there. We had planned to fly to LA take CS to PDX and fly back to DFW......so how could we include a stop in Las Vegas? Better to fly DFW to Las Vegas then how to get to LA? Or fly back PDX to LAs Vegas, then fly from there to DFW?

I know about the SWC to Kingman, but that would be way out of the way for our trip.......

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thx.
Aloha

I am not an expert, but since you are planning to fly to LA to catch the CS I would suggest you fly to Vegas. Catch the Amtrak bus to LA and the CS to PDX. I think the Vegas PDX routing is a valid AGR routing.
It is, but not to LAX. You take the AmBus from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bakersfield. Ride the San Joaquin to Martinez. Then from there you catch the Coast Starlight to Portland. Thus, you've missed the "coast" portion of the Coast Starlight.
Aloha

While there is a Bus out of Vegas to Bakersfield there are Amtrak ticked buses to LA. I have taken the one that connects to the South West Chief. I do not remember the Coast starlight departure time but possibly the late bus out of Vegas Connects to it without an extreme wait. And depending on your desires a night or two in LA may be fun. The Metro Plaza is visible from the front of the LAUS. It is the unofficial AU hotel.
Unfortunately, if making a direct connection with the Coast Starlight and points north the only connection is through Bakersfield. This is due to the CS departing LAX at 10:30AM, where-as the bus from LV arrives at 3:30PM into Los Angeles. Since I don't have experience with the route, is the LV-LAX bus a dedicated thru-way AmBus, or is it a code-share with Greyhound? I know the LV-BFD bus is a dedicated AmBus and not a code-share.

However, if one does spend at least one night in LA, then you could absolutely take the LV-LAX bus and the CS the following day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back