SCA asking for tips.... is that allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat off-topic, since it is a taxi rather than Amtrak, but it is tipping. I just had my first ride in a taxi where there was a payment terminal in the back seat, complete with credit card scanner. It offered four levels of tip: 20%, 25%, 30%, and other. A selection was required to move forward in the payment process. This seems analogous to a service provider requesting a tip, and I find the minimum preset to be excessive. Thoughts?
It's similar in concept to the payment terminal that I saw at a frozen yogurt shop recently. The thing has a card scanner attached to a tablet, mounted to a larger, glossy base. After the credit card is swiped, the next screen asks how much tip you want to add to the bill. I think the choices were $1, $2, $5, or other, as well as a "NONE" button. The guy behind the counter can easily see which one I'm pressing. I was afraid to hit "NONE" because I don't want to trigger an alarm or something. :D :D:D I chose "$1" just to be nice.... although I really don't understand why I need to tip a frozen yogurt on a small cone, with sprinkles.($3.25 plus tax) :(

Outrageous.

Solicitation of tips is expressly forbidden.

If asked, I always said something like, "Tipping is allowed, and it is entirely at the passenger's discretion." If a newbie asked me to suggest an amount, I tried to evade the question & suggested they talk to other more experienced passengers.

Tom

As one who generally tips pretty generously, I would still agree that any worker who is overly suggestive about gratuities is wrong. Possible exception might be a gentle reminder to travelers from cultures where tipping is not the norm. The taxi credit readers in NYC were originally opposed by the drivers, but have become popular with both riders and the drivers, the pre set tipping makes things faster. 20% would be pretty standard. Unless someone had a rude cabbie or a real bad ride experience, putting in a low number is pretty cheap.

Somewhat off-topic, since it is a taxi rather than Amtrak, but it is tipping. I just had my first ride in a taxi where there was a payment terminal in the back seat, complete with credit card scanner. It offered four levels of tip: 20%, 25%, 30%, and other. A selection was required to move forward in the payment process. This seems analogous to a service provider requesting a tip, and I find the minimum preset to be excessive. Thoughts?
It's similar in concept to the payment terminal that I saw at a frozen yogurt shop recently. The thing has a card scanner attached to a tablet, mounted to a larger, glossy base. After the credit card is swiped, the next screen asks how much tip you want to add to the bill. I think the choices were $1, $2, $5, or other, as well as a "NONE" button. The guy behind the counter can easily see which one I'm pressing. I was afraid to hit "NONE" because I don't want to trigger an alarm or something. :D :D:D I chose "$1" just to be nice.... although I really don't understand why I need to tip a frozen yogurt on a small cone, with sprinkles.($3.25 plus tax) :(
A lot of the touch-screen tablet payment systems smaller shops are using are run by Square. The Square software will ask your customer to provide a tip regardless of what the industry, or charge is. I used to collect rent from my roommate thru the system & it would even ask him to tip me.

peter

ps, I wouldn't be surprised if you paid for the top-line service with them you could turn it off, but for the cheap & "free" options I could never find a way.

I used to collect rent from my roommate thru the system & it would even ask him to tip me.

peter
my college roommates should have tipped me... tipped me plenty! I did 99% of the chores around the house. They did the remaining 1% of the chores, which was turning on the dishwasher.(after I've loaded it)

Wow,I've only made a few long distance trips but have never had anyone mention a tip. To me it would be embarrassing to be in that situation as it would also be embarrassing to stiff someone who deserves to be tipped. SCA, dinning car servers and red caps all fall into that category and if they are polite and provide a normal service I feel they should be tipped. I run across a few folks who try their best to find fault so they can avoid tipping.

I am a generous tipper when I travel on the Amtrak when I get the service I expect. Unfortunately, on my last four recent trips, I found very few Sleeper passengers tipping in the DC. I started making it obvious that was leaving a tip so my table mates might consider tipping, then one meal I was asked why I was tipping when everything was included. I explained that though the meals are included an gratuities are not and are up to the passenger if he or she wishes to tip. After considering this for a minute, they all stated that being federal employees they were already highly paid, therefore didn't deserve the extra money. Additional explanations on hours worked during the day, actual pay isn't what they thought it was, and trying to please everyone, was unsuccessful, but I guess I was over heard because the LSA and the Attendant stopped me to say Thank You. Wow, I received unbelievable service for the next day and half. The thing was that this DC crew was really friendly and worked hard to make everything pleasant and correct.

A lot of the touch-screen tablet payment systems smaller shops are using are run by Square. The Square software will ask your customer to provide a tip regardless of what the industry, or charge is. I used to collect rent from my roommate thru the system & it would even ask him to tip me.

peter

ps, I wouldn't be surprised if you paid for the top-line service with them you could turn it off, but for the cheap & "free" options I could never find a way.
Maybe this has changed recently. Last month, I started using Square to accept payments at farm market, and I had no problem setting it up so no tip is solicited. (Either that, or I'm managing to ignore that when I enter the amount owed.)

On the other hand, I've not yet succeeded in getting it to automatically charge the sales tax I specified when I set up the account. YMMV.

I can't believe how many people who do not tip after meals :/. I learned in this forum that you should tip and have always done it. I feel bad when people get up and dont leave anything. I try to get mine out there first so it sort of gives them an idea :)

I hate what is openly coercive behavior like that. Granted, my favorite BBQ place has a tipjar on the counter and when I buy I just dump the loose change I get back (if it's more than a few pennies!) in there, but that feels different.

I also dislike it when the grocery store runs "charity promotions" where they ask if you want to add a dollar to your bill for "Children's Miracle Network" or somesuch. I always want to ask them exactly how much of the money goes to the charity (and what goes to "overhead" - which is a standard question I ask when someone is soliciting money for a charity) but there are people in line behind me and I don't want to be "that person" so I almost always say "No."

Also there's something to be said for not encouraging behavior you don't want to see repeated. I dislike being coerced at the checkout and I'd rather see that practice end, so....

I have never had an SCA on Amtrak ask specifically for tips. I've also never seen the tip tray; I just hand them the tip as they help me get off the train. I think once or twice the LSA, in the dinner announcement said something like "Tips aren't expected but are a reward for good service." Meh, I tip, unless the SCA has been AWOL or rude, and I tip in the diner unless the service has been really terrible.

The reasons I usually tip include the following...

Basic Compensation - Amtrak staff are already well compensated with exceptional benefits
Future recognition - Amtrak staff never seem to remember me from previous trips regardless
Off-Menu Entrees - Amtrak staff do not have the tools or resources to serve off-menu meals
Special Requests - Amtrak staff do not have the tools or resources to honor special requests
Better Drinks - Amtrak staff have zero control over the strength or quality of your cocktails
Better Table - Every dining table is basically the same experience regardless of location
Easy Access - I used to tip for easy access to ice before Amtrak took that option away

At this point I'm basically running out of reasons to keep tipping, mostly because Amtrak has worked hard to standardize on the lowest common denominator, thus removing nearly every option a staff member had for going above and beyond. The trend of tip soliciting is also a major turnoff for me. I still tip SCA's that bring meals to my room and I still tip redcaps that carry my luggage but that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe how many people who do not tip after meals :/. I learned in this forum that you should tip and have always done it. I feel bad when people get up and dont leave anything. I try to get mine out there first so it sort of gives them an idea :)
Lazy Z, please don't take this personally. I feel sorry for you that you have been misinformed by posters on this forum. I see in your statement that you have "learned" about tipping by reading this forum. Do you believe that the information that has formed your opinion about non-tippers was correct ? First of all, I know of no law in the USA that requires tipping.

Amtrak states tipping is not required and instructs employees not to solicit tips.

You may tip if you want, but non-tippers are 100% in the right . They are in the majority and are good citizens just like you are. They are not stiffing anyone or being deadbeats as suggested by the "I am a good tipper" posters. Your action "I try to get mine out there first so it sort of gives them an idea" is just plain wrong. You have no right to influence (brainwash) your fellow riders into doing as you do.

I also dislike it when the grocery store runs "charity promotions" where they ask if you want to add a dollar to your bill for "Children's Miracle Network" or somesuch. I always want to ask them exactly how much of the money goes to the charity (and what goes to "overhead" - which is a standard question I ask when someone is soliciting money for a charity) but there are people in line behind me and I don't want to be "that person" so I almost always say "No."
Even worse, in my opinion, is when schoolkids (with their parents) are in front of the store asking for donations for sports, etc. I don't mind car washes, bake sales, etc., but just asking for a handout without doing anything to earn it sets a bad example. (Living in NJ, I just tell them that my property taxes are my donation, at which point I get blank stares from all of them :huh: .)

On a nicer note, I was in Philly just for the day a while back and decided to use one of my lounge coupons at 30th Street. As I passed the redcap booth, I waved and said "Hi" to them and said I wasn't traveling that day, just using the lounge. At which point, one of my favorite redcaps said there was no need for me to go up those steep stairs, and he took me up on the elevator. When I tried to tip him, he refused, waved, and went back downstairs before I could insist! :)

Even worse, in my opinion, is when schoolkids (with their parents) are in front of the store asking for donations for sports, etc. I don't mind car washes, bake sales, etc., but just asking for a handout without doing anything to earn it sets a bad example.
Worse still is how some high schools allow girls to do car washes at the local gas station

to raise money. WHILE DRESSED IN SKIMPY BIKINIS! I complained to the two female

teachers who were with them, as well as the gas station owner. They didn't seem to care.

I guess I should have alerted the church elders.

Is it just me who thinks that's wrong? :(

There is no law that anyone hold a door open for anyone, or offer to carry a heavy bag to a car for someone at the supermarket. I do those things because I believe them to be right. It is a function of my upbringing. If a person chooses not to leave a gratuity for someone in a position that traditionaly receives a gratuity and performs their job correctly. (not some of the silly new ones that seem to surface every day) I think that is (usually) being cheap or selfish. But I do agree that soliciting tips is also wrong. I disagree with the notion that I have no right to influence others, we all have a right to our viewpoints, isn't the ability to state them the whole purpose of a discussion forum such as this?

Even worse, in my opinion, is when schoolkids (with their parents) are in front of the store asking for donations for sports, etc. I don't mind car washes, bake sales, etc., but just asking for a handout without doing anything to earn it sets a bad example.
Worse still is how some high schools allow girls to do car washes at the local gas station

to raise money. WHILE DRESSED IN SKIMPY BIKINIS! I complained to the two female

teachers who were with them, as well as the gas station owner. They didn't seem to care.

Is it just me who thinks that's wrong? :(
Were the guys in just trunks? If so, I see no problem. I hate double standards.

I agree with Toni (for both boys and girls, I believe everyone should dress in an appropriate manner). At least in NJ, when they do car washes (at least the ones I've seen), everyone is dressed properly. (Do not let the Jersey Shore TV garbage influence you--those are not typical people.)

Worse still is how some high schools allow girls to do car washes at the local gas station to raise money. WHILE DRESSED IN SKIMPY BIKINIS!
Wait, is there such a thing as a non-skimpy full coverage bikini?

Do the church elders have dirty vehicles?

I disagree with the notion that I have no right to influence others, we all have a right to our viewpoints, isn't the ability to state them the whole purpose of a discussion forum such as this?
Agreed. Criticize if you want, preferably with a bit of sarcastic snark, but don't try to steamroll people into remaining silent. That kind of my way or the highway attitude is unwelcome here.

Even worse, in my opinion, is when schoolkids (with their parents) are in front of the store asking for donations for sports, etc. I don't mind car washes, bake sales, etc., but just asking for a handout without doing anything to earn it sets a bad example. (Living in NJ, I just tell them that my property taxes are my donation, at which point I get blank stares from all of them :huh: .)
On a nicer note, I was in Philly just for the day a while back and decided to use one of my lounge coupons at 30th Street. As I passed the redcap booth, I waved and said "Hi" to them and said I wasn't traveling that day, just using the lounge. At which point, one of my favorite redcaps said there was no need for me to go up those steep stairs, and he took me up on the elevator. When I tried to tip him, he refused, waved, and went back downstairs before I could insist! :)
I've been to a few places around the world. I remember being at a restaurant where the owner spoke fluent English. She made it a point to tell me that she paid all her servers well and that tipping would not be acceptable.

There is no law that anyone hold a door open for anyone, or offer to carry a heavy bag to a car for someone at the supermarket. I do those things because I believe them to be right. It is a function of my upbringing. If a person chooses not to leave a gratuity for someone in a position that traditionaly receives a gratuity and performs their job correctly. (not some of the silly new ones that seem to surface every day) I think that is (usually) being cheap or selfish. But I do agree that soliciting tips is also wrong. I disagree with the notion that I have no right to influence others, we all have a right to our viewpoints, isn't the ability to state them the whole purpose of a discussion forum such as this?
You just don't get it ! You are calling the majority of your fellow riders "cheap or selfish" because they are following what Amtrak states on the website, that "tipping is not required". (see references above by Ryan #6 and my #10). You believe that tradition from the old railroad days of low paid Porters, still applies. It doesn't , according to Amtrak's website. Amtrak employees are now well paid with good benefits in excess of the median pay for service workers.

You can tip all you want. Don't bad mouth the rest of us for reading the Amtrak website !

And I will exercise my right to "my viewpoint" and ask you "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU" to call others cheap or selfish for not tipping?

Worse still is how some high schools allow girls to do car washes at the local gas station to raise money. WHILE DRESSED IN SKIMPY BIKINIS!
Wait, is there such a thing as a non-skimpy full coverage bikini?
Somewhat... There are bikinis that have lets-call-it skirting that hangs down from the top of the breasts to the midriff region and bikinis with mini skirts built-in. Women's bathing suits in general however are pretty revealing however.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back