SCA asking for tips.... is that allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago aboard the EB, LSA announced on the intercom that "Gratuity is not included in the dining car prices" at least 4-5 times a day.
Just for fun, you should have asked the LSA what a gratuity is. It would be interesting to hear his/her explanation for why customers are expected to voluntarily pay more than the posted menu price.

2 weeks ago aboard the EB, LSA announced on the intercom that "Gratuity is not included in the dining car prices" at least 4-5 times a day.
Just for fun, you should have asked the LSA what a gratuity is. It would be interesting to hear his/her explanation for why customers are expected to voluntarily pay more than the posted menu price.
Not that I condone soliciting for tips in that manner, but what exactly would be interesting about the explanation? It's not like you, me, and the lamp post don't know it's part of the western culture.

Not that I condone soliciting for tips in that manner, but what exactly would be interesting about the explanation? It's not like you, me, and the lamp post don't know it's part of the western culture.
Is this really part of Western culture at large? So far as I am aware, at least among industrialized democracies, this is a uniquely American social expectation. One that now has the appearance of being intentionally abused to browbeat passengers with an embarrassingly misdirected guilt trip.

Is this really part of Western culture at large? So far as I am aware, at least among industrialized democracies, this is a uniquely American social expectation. One that now has the appearance of being intentionally abused to browbeat passengers with an embarrassingly misdirected guilt trip.
Perhaps that was not the most appropriate generalization to make, but it is certainly not just an American (referring to solely the US) thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity#By_region

One of the rationales for tipping in the United States is that waitstaff are paid sub-minimum wage, and that tips are a way to pay for the service you are receiving. Since Amtrak employees do not make sub-minimum wage, that rationale is not applicable here. So it would be interesting to hear why, from a financial standpoint, a gratuity is expected.

Another rationale for tipping is to either reward or ensure good service. Is the LSA acknowledging that some employees do not provide good service? Because if they all do, then there would be no specific need to reward those who do. So it would be interesting to hear an LSA's description of the varying degrees of service provided by his/her subordinates.

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec (okay, maybe I am) but I would be genuinely interested in hearing someone defend their expectation that customers voluntarily pay more than the cost of the menu item.

He also gave the menu 4-5 times a day. And said the same thing about offerings in the cafe car 4-5 times a day.

He must just think you're really slow. It's not like, you know, people besides you get on and off the train en route. Weird.

Perhaps that was not the most appropriate generalization to make, but it is certainly not just an American (referring to solely the US) thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity#By_region
More to the point, there are plenty of developed countries that accept tipping. There are also many undeveloped countries that solicit tips. What I have never seen is another industrialized democracy that overtly solicits tips.

He also gave the menu 4-5 times a day. And said the same thing about offerings in the cafe car 4-5 times a day. He must just think you're really slow. It's not like, you know, people besides you get on and off the train en route. Weird.
The PA reaches nearly everyone, whether they want to hear it or not, and can make restful napping in a sleeping car surprisingly difficult. Thus the PA should only be used for alerts that virtually everyone would naturally want to know about. Events such as major delays, irregular operations, and emergency instructions. It should not be used to prattle on endlessly about Amtrak's junk food offerings and embarrassing tip begging. Put the meal details in a pamphlet or magazine so people can review the options on their own if and when they choose to do so. How slow does someone have to be to repeatedly pester 95% of continuing passengers so that the 5% new passengers can receive a sales pitch they may not even care about? If they insist on broadcasting such messages they should limit them to the speakers in the Sightseer Lounge rather than blasting the whole entire train each and every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually tips as in "Bakshish" is more a part of South and Southwest Asian culture, and is often a component of corruption rather than a legitimate activity. Most developed countries do not do much tipping. Service charge inclusion is a different matter, the proceeds of which often do not go to the servers but go to the establishment.

I find the implicit arm twisting of everyone that has been a tradition at AU to be somewhat over the top and mostly ignore it. In the US and Canada I tip if I like the service provided, and do not tip if it is not. Acela First Class is an odd one since it is trying to be like a plane. Since I have never tipped a flight attendant on a plane I don't tip in Acela First Class either.

SCA's who do the basic duties get a small tip. Who fail to do even that get nothing. Who go above and beyond get a bigger tip proportional to the "how much above and how far beyond". Anyone soliciting tips automatically gets nothing, unless the tradition of the service is to come by at the end of the service with a tray. This is customary on prestige trains with significant on board food and other services in India. Near the end of the journey they come around with a tray, and I tip depending on the quality of service provided. It takes a bit to understand the local customs and abide by it as well as one can. Often hotel front desk and concierge are very helpful in educating one about local customs. Just ask.

I guess one of the oddest disconnects I had with tipping was years ago when I was on a big vacation in China that ended with a ride from Guangzhou to Hong Kong. In both cities we stayed in hotels operated by the New World hotel chain. In Guangzhou I went to the bathroom in the lobby, and after I washed my hands, there was a hotel employee there to hand me paper towels. He didn't expect anything. In Hong Kong I did the same thing, there was also an employee to hand out paper towels, and as soon as my hands were dry, the employee had his hand out for a tip. I probably would have given him something (even just one HK dollar) but I'd just gotten there and had no local currency.

I guess it had to do with the British influence. I know it's not considered mandatory, but it's common enough that this guy seemed to ask for it.

One of the rationales for tipping in the United States is that waitstaff are paid sub-minimum wage, and that tips are a way to pay for the service you are receiving. Since Amtrak employees do not make sub-minimum wage, that rationale is not applicable here. So it would be interesting to hear why, from a financial standpoint, a gratuity is expected.

Another rationale for tipping is to either reward or ensure good service. Is the LSA acknowledging that some employees do not provide good service? Because if they all do, then there would be no specific need to reward those who do. So it would be interesting to hear an LSA's description of the varying degrees of service provided by his/her subordinates.

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec (okay, maybe I am) but I would be genuinely interested in hearing someone defend their expectation that customers voluntarily pay more than the cost of the menu item.
Jeese, buddy, if you don't want to tip, don't do it. No need to go on and on about it

The PA reaches nearly everyone, whether they want to hear it or not, and can make restful napping in a sleeping car surprisingly difficult. Thus the PA should only be used for alerts that virtually everyone would naturally want to know about. Events such as major delays, irregular operations, and emergency instructions. It should not be used to prattle on endlessly about Amtrak's junk food offerings and embarrassing tip begging. Put the meal details in a pamphlet or magazine so people can review the options on their own if and when they choose to do so. How slow does someone have to be to repeatedly pester 95% of continuing passengers so that the 5% new passengers can receive a sales pitch they may not even care about? If they insist on broadcasting such messages they should limit them to the speakers in the Sightseer Lounge rather than blasting the whole entire train each and every time.
The PA reaches nearly everyone, yet many people miss their stops on the corridor after personally being notified by a crew member that their stop is coming up, because they are deeply asleep, have earbuds in, are too engrossed in a conversation, in the bathroom, and many other strange reasons. Just yesterday I had someone in the Cafe miss their stop in Providence despite multiple announcements and sitting in the station for a few minutes, while he was staring out the window with no other noticeable distractions the whole time. So just because the announcement was made earlier, well...You get my point there.

Again, I do not agree with an announcement mentioning tips at all, but as far as the announcements go, the LSA is doing their job in reminding passengers about the Cafe/Dining car. On the corridor, we all are suppose to make an announcement after every major station stop if there is no line (BOS, BBY, RTE, PVD, NHV, SPG, HFD, NYP, NWK, PHL, WIL, BAL, WAS, and RVR.), in addition to five minutes before departure of the initial terminal, and everywhere we are suppose to make an announcement 10-15 minutes before closing for a break. (The announcement regarding no line, for those who are wondering and haven't seen/heard it? "Ladies and gentlemen, just as a reminder, the café is open and ready for service. There is no line in the café at the present time, so there’s no waiting. We encourage you to

visit the café for a snack, beverage or sandwich.")

Annoying? Absolutely. Doing our jobs? Yes sir. Let the LSAs do their best to keep business coming to the food service cars that way we can keep said cars in service. ;) Don't complain about pointless announcements. Do complain about the LSA soliciting tips in the announcement, since it really is despicable. I worked with someone in First Class who made an announcement regarding tips, and as I was the assist I had to be at the door to receive them. Boy did I feel like a real ass...

Also, we just had a menu change in the NEC yesterday. Soon there will be menus in every single seatback on the train, and at all tables in the Cafe. Within a month virtually all of them will be destroyed by passengers. They are very nice looking/printed menus and everything, but what they need to do is stop wasting the money on them, and make sure it's updated on the Amtrak Connect wifi (I think the menu is on there, isn't it?), and possibly dedicate a few pages in the Arrive magazine, for the Corridor. Not sure of the solution for the rest of the nation, however...

While I don't DISagree with this sentiment, I just found it highly selective that this poster picked out just the meal announcements (in fact, just the part about tipping, really), out of the endless stream of prattle. I was simply in my oh-so-cutting way pointing out that this wasn't just some guy hocking tips the whole time, with no other activity.

About the PA: yeah, I find the endless announcements a bit much, too. But people don't pay attention to stuff.

I remember one trip I was on, ate dinner with a tween (I think she was about 12) and her dad who were traveling together. She commented, when some announcement came over the PA: "Wow, they repeat everything so many times!" and I responded "I think it's because people don't listen" (I am a college prof and have had the occasional student try to claim I "never told them" about an upcoming exam when I had announced it four or five different times on four or five different days AND had it in the syllabus).

Both she and her dad laughed, and she said, "Yeah, I guess you have a point."

And I've still had people stop me when I was on my way to the diner and ask stuff like, "Did they just announce the 6:00 dinner seating?" when they'd just finished saying it for the third time.

I tend to figure no one's going to lead me by the hand when it's meal time or time for me to get off the train or whatever, so I look out for myself and pay attention. I have just concluded that there are enough people out there NOT like that that the rest of us have to put up with the multiple repeats of announcements.

That said: I don't think I've heard the "wear shoes, you don't want to lose a toe walking between cars" one on recent trips.

Honestly I wish I had a PA on my excursions that weren't local to the car or were operable. It would make my job a lot easier. In all do respect I actually have tipped a Luftansa Flight Attendant. She was incredible and gave amazing personalized service. I had the exit row that flight. And she brought me the business class amenity kit, took my photo on a LH polaroid and framed it. And we had a lovely conversation prior to take off as she had the jump seat in front of me. But when I offered her a tip she declined. And she said it was her pleasure and even after insisting she still wouldn't. Eventually she took it and said she would donate it to the airline's charity for kids.

Flight attendants are not generally tipped, it may be prohibited by many airlines, I'm not sure. Neither are operating personnel like Pilots, Conductors, Engineers and the like. When I go into a restaurant with table service, I do expect to leave a tip, it is the cultural norm in this country. If that means I'm voluntarily paying above the stated price, I'm fine with that. Same goes at the barber, when I hop in a cab, or use a redcap or bellman. I think I've made that clear before. I've also tried to point out that I do not support blatant solicitation, or poor or rude service. There is some point in the dining car environment to mentioning that the prices do not include a gratuity, since a large percentage of dining car (not lounge car) customers are sleeper passengers, their meals are part of their accommodation, they are not separately paying the check. The manner in which it is said makes all the difference in its acceptability.

Actually tips as in "Bakshish" is more a part of South and Southwest Asian culture, and is often a component of corruption rather than a legitimate activity. Most developed countries do not do much tipping.
Good point. It's also huge in South East Asia, where you can not only "tip" your server but your local police officer as well. While he's still pondering how to handle a minor mistake or imaginary infraction. Which is partly why I try to use hired drivers rather than driving myself. If there is some sort of police related event the driver knows a lot more about how to handle it than I ever would. Even if things go south quickly I can simply hire another driver while they haggle over the details.

I find the implicit arm twisting of everyone that has been a tradition at AU to be somewhat over the top and mostly ignore it. In the US and Canada I tip if I like the service provided, and do not tip if it is not. Acela First Class is an odd one since it is trying to be like a plane. Since I have never tipped a flight attendant on a plane I don't tip in Acela First Class either.
I didn't always feel this way. In the past I used to tip Amtrak staff regularly. Then Amtrak corporate began removing the remaining options for special requests and improved service. Shortly after that the tip begging started gaining steam and I started to feel like Amtrak staff were intentionally abusing our arbitrary tipping culture by pretending to be severely underpaid porters from the distant past rather than extremely well compensated employees among most service staff today.

About the PA: yeah, I find the endless announcements a bit much, too. But people don't pay attention to stuff.

And I've still had people stop me when I was on my way to the diner and ask stuff like, "Did they just announce the 6:00 dinner seating?" when they'd just finished saying it for the third time.
Have you ever considered that people may have a problem hearing or understanding announcements. I do. Hearing aids help somewhat but often it still sounds like a MacDonald's drive-up speaker. I often have to ask my wife or another person (when alone) what the announcement was. It is embarrassing to me to have to ask strangers (it's a personal thing) so I hope it will be repeated. When on the 3rd time they say what sounds like the same thing, I get desperate.

Worse, I have always had a problem that I can concentrate so much, I am oblivious to my surroundings and subconsciously tune out ny outside noise. I never did "hear" those professors' announcements unless it was in writing and often had to ask a classmate if the professor said something about a test. That was especially true if the many professors who thought students should sit at the end of their seats to hear the boooorrring lectures given in a monotone.

In Guangzhou I went to the bathroom in the lobby, and after I washed my hands, there was a hotel employee there to hand me paper towels. He didn't expect anything. In Hong Kong I did the same thing, there was also an employee to hand out paper towels, and as soon as my hands were dry, the employee had his hand out for a tip. I probably would have given him something (even just one HK dollar) but I'd just gotten there and had no local currency.

I guess it had to do with the British influence. I know it's not considered mandatory, but it's common enough that this guy seemed to ask for it.
I'd guess it is the American influence. Americans are so used to tipping, they often tip or offer tips even in countries where it is not normal or considered rude. As countries become "Americanized", they either expect it from an American or begin to expect it from any westerner.

Have you ever considered that people may have a problem hearing or understanding announcements. I do. Hearing aids help somewhat but often it still sounds like a MacDonald's drive-up speaker. I often have to ask my wife or another person (when alone) what the announcement was. It is embarrassing to me to have to ask strangers (it's a personal thing) so I hope it will be repeated. When on the 3rd time they say what sounds like the same thing, I get desperate.

Worse, I have always had a problem that I can concentrate so much, I am oblivious to my surroundings and subconsciously tune out ny outside noise. I never did "hear" those professors' announcements unless it was in writing and often had to ask a classmate if the professor said something about a test. That was especially true if the many professors who thought students should sit at the end of their seats to hear the boooorrring lectures given in a monotone.
Hear, hear. I totally agree. I where hearing aids also and have difficulty hearing announcements. And I, too, can tune out the noisy world and miss things. I've reached the point in my hearing loss that I'm going to get evaluated for a cochlear implant (CI). A CI is not a cure all, but I'm hopeful if I get one it will vastly improve my speech discrimination.

In Guangzhou I went to the bathroom in the lobby, and after I washed my hands, there was a hotel employee there to hand me paper towels. He didn't expect anything. In Hong Kong I did the same thing, there was also an employee to hand out paper towels, and as soon as my hands were dry, the employee had his hand out for a tip. I probably would have given him something (even just one HK dollar) but I'd just gotten there and had no local currency.

I'd guess it is the American influence. Americans are so used to tipping, they often tip or offer tips even in countries where it is not normal or considered rude. As countries become "Americanized", they either expect it from an American or begin to expect it from any westerner.
Actually I'd say it's a more European influence. It's not uncommon in Europe to have a bathroom attendant in a public bathroom who collects tips. While you may only see them handing out towels they often have other duties in the bathroom such as cleaning, etc. It's even not uncommon to find an unattended tip-jar (actually usually a bowl...) in the bathrooms. I never inquired but I presume that there is only 1 attendant there for both the Female and Male rooms (and they were in the other one).

I've seen bathroom attendants here in the states & even some expecting tips, but in the US they're usually scoffed at.

peter

I almost always fail to bring enough one dollar bills to tip the dining car staff at each meal on a long-distance trip. I generally leave $3 at each meal, if service is good. I know that would be a low tip for a regular restaurant, but like others have said, they make better money than the average wait staff.

I *personally* like to show my appreciation this way. I also *don't* expect everyone else to follow my example. In fact, for that last meal on the train after I've run out of cash for tipping, I hope there's not someone across the table considering me rude and selfish.

One of these years I'll actually bring enough ones on-board. But since tipping isn't required, I'm glad it's not a point of stress if I don't, and I hope it remains that way.
I've run out of cash several times, in those cases, I'll ask the LSA to bring the CC machine, you can place a tip thru that. I generally leave 15-20% of the TOTAL of what the meal would have cost, had I been in coach. I've never understood the argument, "they make better money than the average wait staff.........." And your 'average wait staff' get to go home each night too, and when the 'average wait staff' aren't working, they aren't sleeping in the basement of the restaurant either (to illustrate that even when off duty, and NOT being paid, Amtrak staff are still captive) And while off duty, the 'average wait staff' might go see a movie, or go on a date, or go running, or shopping, NONE of which the captive Amtrak server can do...... Sheesh.

"Amtrak Life, it ain't a good Life, but it's my Life.." (apologies to Willie Nelson)

I'd venture that most of us wouldn't want to make a career out of being an Amtrak OBS or T&E Employee, and while the pay is a Living Wage and the Benefits are better than average, they're not that great, actually below the Averages for Government Employees! ( and they earn every cent!)

Railroading is a tough Life!

"Amtrak Life, it ain't a good Life, but it's my Life.." (apologies to Willie Nelson)

I'd venture that most of us wouldn't want to make a career out of being an Amtrak OBS or T&E Employee, and while the pay is a Living Wage and the Benefits are better than average, they're not that great, actually below the Averages for Government Employees! ( and they earn every cent!)

Point in case, and this is mild compared the long haul jobs, especially from Chicago to the west coast (being onboard for six days straight, with one day or night for a layover on the ground), but I just woke up 45 minutes ago (around 4:15pm) because I'm working 65 tonight.

Need to be at the station for 7pm, get to the hotel by 11:45am if all goes good for a change. Sure I get a break in NYP and WAS, but I really can't nap I'd I have a split cafe, thus with passengers in the car. A few weeks ago a co-worker of mine had his picture taken/posted to Facebook by a passenger, because he was napping, presumably on his break as well. He has been pulled off the road for the time being, and he's working on the yard.

And coming back is 1pm-8am, of course. And a stupid thing that happened to one of my former classmates...a DC based manager tried to report her back to one of our managers in Boston for *drum roll*....sitting at her table reading a paperback book, at 1:30am with less than 100 passengers onboard, most of whom were asleep! So in other words, according to this manager I am suppose to do nothing but cross my fingers and stare at the wall all night, I guess?

Point in case, and this is mild compared the long haul jobs, especially from Chicago to the west coast (being onboard for six days straight, with one day or night for a layover on the ground), but I just woke up 45 minutes ago (around 4:15pm) because I'm working 65 tonight.

Need to be at the station for 7pm, get to the hotel by 11:45am if all goes good for a change. Sure I get a break in NYP and WAS, but I really can't nap I'd I have a split cafe, thus with passengers in the car. A few weeks ago a co-worker of mine had his picture taken/posted to Facebook by a passenger, because he was napping, presumably on his break as well. He has been pulled off the road for the time being, and he's working on the yard.

And coming back is 1pm-8am, of course. And a stupid thing that happened to one of my former classmates...a DC based manager tried to report her back to one of our managers in Boston for *drum roll*....sitting at her table reading a paperback book, at 1:30am with less than 100 passengers onboard, most of whom were asleep! So in other words, according to this manager I am suppose to do nothing but cross my fingers and stare at the wall all night, I guess?
While standing at attention...........just curious and answer at your discretion, if you were the most senior LSA what job would you bid?

While standing at attention...........just curious and answer at your discretion, if you were the most senior LSA what job would you bid?
That's a tough one. I'm in a tough position where I have car or license, since I never needed one before I worked here. Now that I have a need, I have no time to get road experience and get a license, since I can't convince myself to talk time off to do it.

That being said, if I had a license? An Acela cafe job, in Boston. 2151/2153/2155, which return as 2168/2170/2172 same day. Still a 17 hour day, but on one week you work Monday/Wednesday/Friday, next week you work Tuesday/Thursday. All weekends are a long weekend, and you get most major holidays off since they're a weekend schedule, so NY or DC covers weekends.

Without a license, and living an hour from the city like I do? Hard to say. Probably 173/172, because I would get two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off. Would be able to commute using public transit easily as well.

If we're taking jobs we use to have in Boston but were taken away? We use to work 2175 to NY, and layover night, then work 2190 back then have the next day off. Don't know much more about that job, since it was before my time.

All that being said, I am one of few that look forward to working 67 because of the entertainment of crazy/drunk passengers, and awesome crews that work it. But it's tough on your body. All this is why this is a mix of some high seniority and some of the lowest, in Boston. 179 is another job like that. It's usually real low seniority because of how tiring it is due to the timing of the trains we work 179/151 or 131/190 or 150. During the winter we have one person who goes from an Acela to 179 for a break from the GO GO GO life of working an Acela.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back