Saw somthing interesting...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
My son's baseball field is right next to a VERY busy BNSF line. Yesterday, I saw a consist go by with one loco and two passenger cars. The first was a single level and the second looked to be one of the old Santa Fe Hi-level cars. It had a weird window arrangement on the sides and a huge window on the rear. I am assuming this is now a track inspection car.

Anyone know anything more about this? Whay would they have an additional single level passenger car as well?

This could just be BNSF transporting PV cars, but I'm not sure, I'm not all that familiar with BNSF's equipment. In any event, the last care is not an ex ATSF Hi-Level. It's an old CB&Q or SP Pullman Commuter car. The window arrangements are a little odd.

I saw something similar to this in Whitefish when I rode the Empire Builder in November. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a photograph of it. The car I saw, however, didn't have the windows cascading downwards like that, but it was otherwise the same kind of car. Certainly an interesting sight.

Anyone know the answer to this?

"What are these "inspection" trains for? Why the sloped seating in the rear? Is this an inspection of the rails or just a trip by executives "inspecting" their rail system?"

Thanks

Not meaning to brag, but back home in the UK, Network Rail have a specially converted ex Intercity 125 High Speed Train... complete with on board conference facilities that I believe can be rented out, and extensive video facilities that record about a dozen different views of the track (including from that box under the cab window) and then run the images through an on board computer for recording problems.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=138262

Questionable colour scheme, but I guess that they can be finished sooner if they're doing 110mph most of the way :D

*j*

printman2000 said:
Anyone know the answer to this?
"What are these "inspection" trains for? Why the sloped seating in the rear? Is this an inspection of the rails or just a trip by executives "inspecting" their rail system?"

Thanks
Many times these trips are done for executives as they explore possible capital projects or how a line has been performing. The sloped seating in the rear is so everyone can see out the rear at the "screen" if you will (the screen being the window). When you go to a movie theater the seating is sloped so everyone can see the movie, same concept. These inspection cars will also make appearances on shake down trips, like when BNSF and CSX tested the express train from LA to NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back