Rooomette Trainediqute

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa! I cant believe this post got so many views! The train was amazing... I did not share my room by the way. However:
1 - I easily could have shared the room space wise as long as someone did not have too much baggage however there would be pretty little privacy if any.

2 - There would be no way to ask someone to share my room without being really creepy. No conversation I had on the train could have ended "so you want to come back to my room" and not seemed strange.

Amtrak is a great way to travel and look forward to more train trips.
I'm glad you had a good trip. I would have to agree with point #2, you'd really have to hit it off to make that offer.

I'm going to share a bedroom with a 'stranger' on my big round-the-country trip in May. I have never met him before, BUT being that he is an active poster on this forum, I guess I will trust him! :lol:

Actually, this forum is a good place to find a travel partner with whom to share accomodations. It's halves the cost!

I'm going to share a bedroom with a 'stranger' on my big round-the-country trip in May. I have never met him before, BUT being that he is an active poster on this forum, I guess I will trust him! :lol:
Actually, this forum is a good place to find a travel partner with whom to share accomodations. It's halves the cost!
Aloha

You are correct there are no stranger than us. Just think about how we appear to the world. We ride trains, Late= "more time on the train". Just how strange are we. :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Geez, for a train-travel forum, no one on here seems to have been to Europe!! A couchette is a shared sleeper accommodation with either 4 or 6 beds, generally segregated by gender (unless there's a couple traveling together, or an adult with a minor child). No one thinks anything of it. Are we so unsophisticated in this country that we assume that stranger=rape?? Or is it just that WE have no manners, and want to project that lack onto everyone else?

Last Sept my 24-year-old son and I shared an accessible roomette on a trip out west. Matthew is handicapped and could not get into the upper bunk if he wanted to, but I suppose some people might have thought our mixed gender arrangement odd if they didn't know us. So maybe we should simply not jump to conclusions about people who travel together. Courtesy and minding your own business never hurt.

Is it the_traveler? Has anyone here shared a room with the_traveler?

the_traveler only rides in the penthouse suite (the one with the elevator), one must book a visit in advance and be cleared by his staff before being allowed to visit the throne room! :lol: :lol: :lol:

the_traveler only rides in the penthouse suite (the one with the elevator), one must book a visit in advance and be cleared by his staff before being allowed to visit the throne room! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not me - it couldn't be me! "It halves the cost" - did you think that I actually go cross country NOT on an AGR award (or $-0-)? :p

No, not for this trip.

Actually, I did share a room with the_traveler, but it was a hotel room at the gathering in Boston. It did halve the cost. See, he does occasionally spend actual money. :eek:

No, not for this trip.

Actually, I did share a room with the_traveler, but it was a hotel room at the gathering in Boston. It did halve the cost. See, he does occasionally spend actual money. :eek:
Aloha

But so far no one has shared the Train Penthouse Suite with The_Traveler :rolleyes: :lol:

No, not for this trip.

What he didnt tell you is that he probably got several hundred if not thousand AGR points and probably didnt even have to pay since trains are not the only thing he finds loopholes in! (he says himself that he is cheap!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, not for this trip.

What he didnt tell you is that he probably got several hundred if not thousand AGR points and probably didnt even have to pay since trains are not the only thing he finds loopholes in! (he says himself that he is cheap!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I only stayed in Boston because the tour on Sunday morning was so early that #66 would not get there in time! Staying at Chez Traveler would have been cheaper! :p But I was FORCED to spend money! :angry:

But between the AGR points for the hotel, AGR points for using the credit card and the HHonors points that I earned, it almost makes up for me having to spend some my hard earned cash! :D (Besides, with all those points, I can go farther - and have to spend less! :lol: )

But between the AGR points for the hotel, AGR points for using the credit card and the HHonors points that I earned, it almost makes up for me having to spend some my hard earned cash! :D (Besides, with all those points, I can go farther - and have to spend less! :lol: )
St. Louis may never let railfans in their town after this group invades them for a weekend.

Aloha

St. Louis may never let railfans in their town after this group invades them for a weekend.

Aloha
The_traveler will finagle a free ride on the tram to the top of the Arch.

I think the OP's question is a good one, but how about this twist to make it less awkward. Can you just have someone from the coaches join you for meals (for free) and then go back to the coach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think a McDonalds Arch card will work? :unsure:
Yes, if you stand at the base of the monument and arch your neck, then you'll be able to see the top with just a McDonalds Arch card.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
And does a Big Mac Combo come with the deluxe cab ride to the top and how many AGR points will it take? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aloha
Hey, it IS my type of trip! :D It's a big loop to travel - and you end up near where you began! :lol:

The big question is would the Arch trip be 1 zone, or if you go to the other side would that be a 2 zone trip? :huh: Inquiring minds want to now! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back