Roomette Allocation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked a roomette on the California Zephyr for my wife and myself in April from Chicago to SLC.

Only had one other trip before, the CONO two years ago. At that time the roomette was specified with the booking, but not this time.

Is this normal or should I chase it up?

If I do what's the best roomette to ask for?

Many thanks

I would verify at once that you in fact booked a roomette. I have always been given a room number. Check your confirmation email again and if not call to verify and get a rm number. I would not take any chances that it will or will not be there when your trip begins. I like something in my hands that say this is mine if you know what I mean.

Just doublechecked my AT tickets for February. They have room numbers on them. Might be worth checking on your situation.

Had the same situation on saturday when i booked two trips for May, no Car number or Room number, unlike the previous times I had booked online, Called Juile and the operator checked my reservation number and gave me Car and Room allocations, When I booked last month on the phone they gave me the Car and Room Number, look like its an oddity of the online booking system.

Steve

Welcome!
hi.gif

Call the "regular" amtrak # (1-800-USA-RAIL) and ask the agent to email you a copy of your reservation. It will have your room number on it. It will say something like 0531-06 = that is train 5 (the CZ) sleeper 31 and room #6. They recently (within the last year or two IIRC) stopped including them on the confirmations for reservations made online!

Welcome!
hi.gif

Call the "regular" amtrak # (1-800-USA-RAIL) and ask the agent to email you a copy of your reservation. It will have your room number on it. It will say something like 0531-06 = that is train 5 (the CZ) sleeper 31 and room #6. They recently (within the last year or two IIRC) stopped including them on the confirmations for reservations made online!
Agree with the_traveler, some time in the not-to-distant past, Amtrak stopped including the specific accommodations in the confirmation email. Which means a call to the 1-800 number, bypassing lovely Julie, and simply asking a live agent for an email, with the accommodations included. It's a PITA, I hope they change it back..........

Instead of calling, you can send Amtrak an email from the website and ask for your room assignment. I always get the answer within a day.

I booked roomettes (r/t) online on the Crescent this last September and as I recall my confirmation specified the car numbers or some other vague reference that I was not in coach - but no room numbers. When I used the self-service kiosk to print my tickets a day or two later, my tickets had the room numbers. I'm not sure if this is a new online policy or a fluke in the online booking system.

I booked roomettes (r/t) online on the Crescent this last September and as I recall my confirmation specified the car numbers or some other vague reference that I was not in coach - but no room numbers. When I used the self-service kiosk to print my tickets a day or two later, my tickets had the room numbers. I'm not sure if this is a new online policy or a fluke in the online booking system.
I think the online confirmation just says something like "1 roomette", but not a car or room number. As said, it has been that way for awhile. Tickets always specify the car and room number, or you can call an agent and ask for the car and room number anytime!

Instead of calling, you can send Amtrak an email from the website and ask for your room assignment. I always get the answer within a day.
True, but why not call and get the answer within 2 minutes, and then receive an email within 3 minutes?
huh.gif
If you want to know, dislike making phone calls, but don't have an immediate desire/reason to know it? :unsure:

There's really no need to call at all unless you will lose sleep not knowing your car and room number. To me it doesn't matter, so I just find out when I get the tickets.

I just looked at my upcoming ticket (mailed from Amtrak via e-mail) and it does have a room number. I would call also.

This is designed to simplify adaptability in the system. That is, they don't give you a specific car number or room number, so if things change they can move you around later and you are none the wiser.

When I phoned a few days ago to make reservations on the SW Chief and Capitol Ltd. I specifically enquired about my roomette numbers. I wanted to make sure I wasn't adjacent to a toilet or stairway.

The agent told me the roomette and car numbers, she knew whether the roomettes were upstairs or down but not the exact location (I found that info. through google). When the confirming e-mail came the information was printed on the form. I would want to know my room number, just out of curiosity. It seems strange to me that a confirmation wouldn't have the car and room numbers.

True, but why not call and get the answer within 2 minutes, and then receive an email within 3 minutes?
huh.gif
I find it faster to send an email (about 30 seconds) than to call, wait on hold, and then have the discussion (2 minutes minimum. And I don't need the answer immediately, so getting it faster is not a benefit to me.

I just looked at my upcoming ticket (mailed from Amtrak via e-mail) and it does have a room number. I would call also.
Amtrak does not email tickets; you just have information on your reservation. Your reservation information that is emailed to you should have your room assignment on it, however.

If you book online at amtrak.com your confirmation will NOT have the room numbers on it, as of May 2010. After completing the booking, you can call and ask the agent to e-mail a confirmation which will have the room numbers on it; or they can simply tell you over the phone.

The agent who told me this information did not know why this was implemented.

If you book online at amtrak.com your confirmation will NOT have the room numbers on it, as of May 2010. After completing the booking, you can call and ask the agent to e-mail a confirmation which will have the room numbers on it; or they can simply tell you over the phone.

Julia (the automated phone system) can tell you what rooms you have if you ask for reservation information and then ask for "more details" at the end of her shpeal.

The emails have been once again modified to contain car and room numbers as well.
Since when? My reservation confirmation from April 12 (yesterday) on the Capitol did not include car or room number.

The emails have been once again modified to contain car and room numbers as well.
Since when? My reservation confirmation from April 12 (yesterday) on the Capitol did not include car or room number.
Me neither! My Rez for the Trip to WAS for NTD on the Eagle/Cardinal and Return on the CL and Eagle DOESNT have Room Numbers, I got them by calling after Booking! :angry2:

Julia (the automated phone system) can tell you what rooms you have if you ask for reservation information and then ask for "more details" at the end of her shpeal.
This is how I got my bedroom numbers for a SWC, CSL, trip I booked last July for June of this year. E for the SWC and D on the CSL. Julie does a good job when you ask for "more details" and she will give you up to date train times. And of course you can ask her to repeat anything you might miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back