Roomette Allocation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a bit hit or miss still. I made a reservation for my main July roomette two days ago - no info in that email, I had to call Julie :(

If you book online at amtrak.com your confirmation will NOT have the room numbers on it, as of May 2010. After completing the booking, you can call and ask the agent to e-mail a confirmation which will have the room numbers on it; or they can simply tell you over the phone.

The agent who told me this information did not know why this was implemented.
Julia (the automated phone system) can tell you what rooms you have if you ask for reservation information and then ask for "more details" at the end of her shpeal.
This is how I got my bedroom numbers for a SWC, CSL, trip I booked last July for June of this year. E for the SWC and D on the CSL. Julie does a good job when you ask for "more details" and she will give you up to date train times. And of course you can ask her to repeat anything you might miss.
I got my reservation confirmation a few days ago and it had the room numbers on it. Under the itinerary section at the very end.

If you book online at amtrak.com your confirmation will NOT have the room numbers on it, as of May 2010. After completing the booking, you can call and ask the agent to e-mail a confirmation which will have the room numbers on it; or they can simply tell you over the phone.

The agent who told me this information did not know why this was implemented.
Julia (the automated phone system) can tell you what rooms you have if you ask for reservation information and then ask for "more details" at the end of her shpeal.
I called Julia and was able to get my room and car number via the automated phone system. It worked well.

Whether you get your room assignment ahead of time or not, be prepared to be surprised once you board! We had room assignments 4 monhts in advance of our recent Zephyr trip. We got the assigned room going out, but when we boarded in Sacramento for our return to CHI, we were assigned a different roomette than the one marked on our tickets. I asked the attendant why--just out of curiosity--and she told us that a couple who got on at an earlier stop asked to change from their assigned room to ours and she accomodated them. We didn't really care, but too bad if we had!

Here is a link to the sleeper car layout Sleeper cars

there's more diagrams for the train here, but the top diagram shows the upper and lower levels of the sleepers,

including where the toilets, showers, luggage racks, etc., are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting link. It shows the layout of the transition sleeper too, but the at the very bottom it shows a deluxe sleeper car with all bedrooms on the upper level,and roomettes on the lower level. were there ever really any of these cars used? Or was it a good idea that was given up for revenue?

Interesting link. It shows the layout of the transition sleeper too, but the at the very bottom it shows a deluxe sleeper car with all bedrooms on the upper level,and roomettes on the lower level. were there ever really any of these cars used? Or was it a good idea that was given up for revenue?
Six Deluxe Sleepers were built and are used exclusively on the Auto Train.

Two were badly wrecked in the Auto Train derailment in Florida several years ago. One was returned to service a few years back, the other was just rebuilt using Stimulus monies and was released from Beech Grove just about a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back